Is this a good plan for me?

Started by fuyulee
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

fuyulee

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,

I've been reading lately but I am still not sure if what I have in mind sounds like a good idea. I would some feedback if possible, thank you.

I am currently studying for the MCAT and planning to take it this 9/9. Then, I will be volunteering in Africa (sao tome) for a few month and apply to a SMP while I am there. Hopefully get in, and apply to medschool next summer. Go to SMP and hopefully medschool right after that.

Some stats:
MCAT: 27M (retaking this summer, should be better)
GPA:3.37
College:top 10 Liberal Arts
Volunteering in African with doctors before applying
international student (can't just stay in the US without being in school...)

First, should I even apply next summer if I get into a 2-year SMP program? Could I just quit the SMP and go to medschool if I get in the first year? Or is that even possible?

Second, about medical secondaries. Its funny how I can't find much about this, but do you need a physical address for the to mail it to you? This is because I might be in a foreign country and don't want this to cause a delay. If everything was online, I'm sure it would be fine.

Summary:
Summer 2010: retake MCAT
Fall 2010: volunteer in Africa
Winter 2011: Apply to SMP
Spring 2011: decide which SMP (if i got in)
Summer 2011: finish primaries and secondaries for medschool
Fall 2011: start SMP, update medschools about grades
Winter 2012: Interview for medschools (hopefully)
Spring 2012: finish SMP if one year, keep going if 2 year
Summer/Fall 2012: go to medschool (if I'm lucky) or keep doing SMP. (quit 2 year SMP if got into medschool!?)

Does this plan sound reasonable?

Thank you all!!