Is This A No-No?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iluvdentistry

Life is good
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
So I was filling out some secondaries and I have run across a few that ask if there is any additional information the adcomm should know about the applicant. I think I know what the answer will be to this question but I'll ask it anyway. I have never, and I mean EVER, been good at standardized tests. I am about to crap my pants with my DAT coming up in a week, so I basically said something along the line is, my GPA is pretty good because I worked my ass off in school but my scores wouldn't reflect that. What do you think? Is that super tacky? I think I just need to see a few posts saying I'm insane before I rip up the secondary and start a new one. :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,
So I was filling out some secondaries and I have run across a few that ask if there is any additional information the adcomm should know about the applicant. I think I know what the answer will be to this question but I'll ask it anyway. I have never, and I mean EVER, been good at standardized tests. I am about to crap my pants with my DAT coming up in a week, so I basically said something along the line is, my GPA is pretty good because I worked my ass off in school but my scores wouldn't reflect that. What do you think? Is that super tacky? I think I just need to see a few posts saying I'm insane before I rip up the secondary and start a new one. :confused:

leave this out, you don't want to tell schools that you are bad at standardize testing... afterall, you need to do well on NBDEs to get your license, if you hint to schools you can't do it... then that means they risk having a slightly lower passing rate by accepting you....

You make a very good point. I just need to study more for the DAT I suppose. It's stuff I've already learned so I don't see why I'm getting such low practice scores.

Members don't see this ad :)
Another good point made. I'm shredding the current secondary.

Hey everyone,

it is a big no-no
don't say anything negative about yourself. This is a small space for you to highlight your strengths. I don't even think you need to bring up the GPA thing as they can already see that in your application.

Put something unique about yourself that isn't exactly on your personal statement (like something not too emphasized)

afterall, you need to do well on NBDEs to get your license, if you hint to schools you can't do it... then that means they risk having a slightly lower passing rate by accepting you....
What he said. And summer has been good VCUdental, but it's about to end in a week. We start July 6th.

Hmm... Yeah I don't know what I was thinking. Thanks for all the help guys!

Hey everyone,
According to you, you suck at standardized tests and you're willing to openly admit this to an adcom, while knowing that you'll have two very important standardized tests in your future, known as "National Board Exams." BAD IDEA!!
Saying you're bad at something and that's just the way it's gonna be is never a good idea. How about you work on your weakness instead! That's what they really want to see in an applicant.