Quantcast

Is this an appropriate school list? (Low GPA/High MCAT)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Faha

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The Arizona schools and UCSF accept few non residents with no connection to the state. It is difficult to construct a school list with your very high MCAT and low undergraduate GPA. You cannot depend on top tier schools for an acceptance. I suggest adding these schools:
Central Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Washington University
TCU-UNT
NOVA MD
USF Morsani
Florida Atlantic
Florida International
Central Florida
George Washington
Pittsburgh
Jefferson
Seton Hall
Vermont

viralhiker

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
The Arizona schools and UCSF accept few non residents with no connection to the state. It is difficult to construct a school list with your very high MCAT and low undergraduate GPA. You cannot depend on top tier schools for an acceptance. I suggest adding these schools:
Central Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Washington University
TCU-UNT
NOVA MD
USF Morsani
Florida Atlantic
Florida International
Central Florida
George Washington
Pittsburgh
Jefferson
Seton Hall
Vermont
I appreciate the input, but some of those schools (such as CMU) are simply not a good fit for me. Do you think I really need to apply to 40+ schools? I’m worried that 30 is overkill.

Faha

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
30 schools is not overkill with your undergraduate GPA. The GPA-MCAT grid shows you have less than a 60% chance for a MD acceptance. Your SMP would increase those odds. Schools such as Stanford and UCSF are very competitive. Each admitted only 4 or 5 OOS last year with an undergraduate GPA less than 3.66. You are also competing against applicants who have 5 or 10 times the clinical and non clinical volunteering hours that you have. Not 70 hours nonclinical but 700. Not 140 hours of clinical but 700 hours.

Reactions: 1 users

viralhiker

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
30 schools is not overkill with your undergraduate GPA. The GPA-MCAT grid shows you have less than a 60% chance for a MD acceptance. Your SMP would increase those odds. Schools such as Stanford and UCSF are very competitive. Each admitted only 4 or 5 OOS last year with an undergraduate GPA less than 3.66. You are also competing against applicants who have 5 or 10 times the clinical and non clinical volunteering hours that you have. Not 70 hours nonclinical but 700. Not 140 hours of clinical but 700 hours.
How do you see the number of admitted below 3.66? Is this information on MSAR?
I know my volunteering is low, it’s something I’m rather worried about. But, I feel like that is partially explained by my employment experience (working 2-3 part-time jobs simultaneously through undergrad with no parental support).

Faha

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do you see the number of admitted below 3.66? Is this information on MSAR?
I know my volunteering is low, it’s something I’m rather worried about. But, I feel like that is partially explained by my employment experience (working 2-3 part-time jobs simultaneously through undergrad with no parental support).
Yes, it is on MSAR. 3.66 is the 10th percentile for OOS admitted. For example, the 10th percentile for UCSF is 3.66 and 38 OOS total matriculated so no more than 4 were less than 3.66 .

Reactions: 1 users