Is this clinical experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

numbersloth

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would be doing home visits and assisting clinical psychologists (and potentially interacting with psychiatrists) by working with hoarding adults. Is this clinical experience?

Members don't see this ad.

I would be doing home visits and assisting clinical psychologists (and potentially interacting with psychiatrists) by working with hoarding adults. Is this clinical experience?
Are they under a psychiatrist's care? Describe your role. Would you be assessing the home environment, administering a questionnaire, assisting with therapy, or what?

Reactions: 1 user
Are they under a psychiatrist's care? Describe your role. Would you be assessing the home environment, administering a questionnaire, assisting with therapy, or what?

The official description says working with clinicians to make home visits to help [insert clinic name]'s clients deal with hoarding problems.

Members don't see this ad :)
The official description says working with clinicians to make home visits to help [insert clinic name]'s clients deal with hoarding problems.
From reading that, you might just be acting as the muscle to clean out rooms after a client gives permission to a psychologist. [Not clinical]. Can you find out more specifics?

From reading that, you might just be acting as the muscle to clean out rooms after a client gives permission to a psychologist. [Not clinical]. Can you find out more specifics?
My college gives psych research credit for the position through the director of the clinical psych program, so I assume there is at least some academic benefit/learning beyond cleaning.

There is some benefit to seeing how people live in their home environment but you are not interacting with patients and they are not receiving clinical services in their home so it might be best not to call it a clinical experience. That said, you could call it "other" or even "volunteer, non-clinical". I've seen plenty of applicants who have done stuff as part of a class (helping at a homeless shelter, shadowing, etc) and listing it on the AMCAS.

There is some benefit to seeing how people live in their home environment but you are not interacting with patients and they are not receiving clinical services in their home so it might be best not to call it a clinical experience. That said, you could call it "other" or even "volunteer, non-clinical". I've seen plenty of applicants who have done stuff as part of a class (helping at a homeless shelter, shadowing, etc) and listing it on the AMCAS.
I agree with my learned colleagues on this one. I'm often more liberal with my definition of "clinical", but this seems outside the box.