Is this considered a day off?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MichaelHulkson

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently in a surgery intern year. We have a night float system where we work Monday night through Friday night and then get the weekend off. My question is whether that Saturday is really considered an official day off? We worked that day from midnight to about 8AM. ACGME allows that still to be considered a day off?

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently in a surgery intern year. We have a night float system where we work Monday night through Friday night and then get the weekend off. My question is whether that Saturday is really considered an official day off? We worked that day from midnight to about 8AM. ACGME allows that still to be considered a day off?

A day off is any period of 24 continuous hours you are not required to be in the hospital. So switching from night float to days and back counts. (If you go home at 759am Friday morning and start your day shift 24 hrs later at 8am Saturday, that counts as your 1 day off for the week. Within ACGME rules.)

A day off is any period of 24 continuous hours you are not required to be in the hospital. So switching from night float to days and back counts. (If you go home at 759am Friday morning and start your day shift 24 hrs later at 8am Saturday, that counts as your 1 day off for the week. Within ACGME rules.)

100% correct.