Is this fair?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

osuwannabe

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I called today to speak with Dr. Ianucci of the admissions office at The Ohio State University regarding my chances as an out-of stater.

She told me that 19 of the 25 spots for non-residents were given to Utah students last year.

19/25!

Are you kidding me? How does this make me feel.........like I don't have a chance. Why so many from Utah? Is there some kind of deal in place?

any ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

I called today to speak with Dr. Ianucci of the admissions office at The Ohio State University regarding my chances as an out-of stater.

She told me that 19 of the 25 spots for non-residents were given to Utah students last year.

19/25!

Are you kidding me? How does this make me feel.........like I don't have a chance. Why so many from Utah? Is there some kind of deal in place?

any ideas?

:thumbdown: This is definitely not fair to you...however, for the state of Utah it is. Some states don't have dental schools (i dont know if this applies to UT) and make agreements (usually requiring big $$$) with outside states to address this problem, with the hope that these dentists will return and serve there fellow in-staters. Hope this helps!:thumbup:

Well from what I hear, Utah is over-saturated with dentists and Ohio State has one of the biggest budgets in the nation. Why would they need Utah's money?

It almost seems like favoritism.........

Members don't see this ad :)
maybe there is a big mormon population there.:eek:

it definitely sounds like an agreement was made with Utah, you can probably find out if you do some research.

You should write to your congressmen for an explanation of this seemingly ridiculous policy.

I don't see anyting to get outraged about, considering you have one data point. Did the admissions officer mention that OSU has a contract with the state of Utah? Do you have any idea if this is a long lasting trend? They gave you stats for one year. Is it possible that the state of Utah has a ridiculous number of students applying to OSU, and the numbers above represent an accurate proportion of the students in the applicant pool?

You may want to do a little more digging before you start freaking out.

That is true. Ask for the stats for the past 2-3 years.....And then freak out.

I am from Utah.
I applied and got into OSU this past cycle. The state of Utah doesn't have a dental school as of now. And as far as I know, strong emphasis on education and family values in Utah due to teachings of a dominant religion in our state, we do have around 400 dentists being produced around the nation each year.

Yes, it is nearly 10% of each total dental school graduates every year. For a state that only has 2 million people living, 10% dental school entering class sounds unreal but hey, it's Utah :)

And the close relationship between the state of Ohio with utah pre-dents maybe somewhat influenced by philantrophic Utah dentists donating a lot of money they made back to schools such as Case Western and the Ohio State University. It doesn't have an agreement that allows more Utahns to get into the OSU as far as I know.

And for other out of state guys, most of them turn down their offer.
At my OSU interview we found out that although they don't accept as many out of state students, those who get accepted frequently choose other school over OSU as shown in 32/34 alternate list for out of staters being accepted last year.

I don't know if this helped you or not. but i don't want you to feel some sort of inequlity being present. My bottom line is this..
If you are the type of person that OSU dental school wants, you will be picked. it doensn't matter where you are from.. All my friends from UT that got into the OSU has 22 or above DAT with 3.8....so they ended up getting multiple acceptances and chose OSU..i know all 19 that got in are fully qulified and if OSU didn't pick them, they would have gotton into other great dental schools just fine.

Oh, by the way..
I chose UCSF over OSU.
and talk about difficulty of being accepted to UCLA or UCSF as an out of state student...

no offense to those form utah or other states who don;t have dental schools. But there are some states that have schools that are considered half private/half public and take mostly out of staters.... yet those of us in this state don't get any breaks/priorities form other states because they consider these schools in state schools.

if you want to go to osu dental school just move here to ohio, they accept about 75 applicants from ohio and about 230-240 apply

Okay so if they are great students and consistently at the top of the class, then I can see that. But what if they consistently took all white males because they placed high in the class, wouldn't some minority group be up in arms about it?

My friend, who is an OSU D-2, told me that every year almost 20 Utahns get in. He said it is a consistent thing, he said the Utahns are great students.

Something just seems wierd about so many Utahns at OSU, with so little representation from other states. :confused:

Okay so if they are great students and consistently at the top of the class, then I can see that. But what if they consistently took all white males because they placed high in the class, wouldn't some minority group be up in arms about it?

My friend, who is an OSU D-2, told me that every year almost 20 Utahns get in. He said it is a consistent thing, he said the Utahns are great students.

Something just seems wierd about so many Utahns at OSU, with so little representation from other states. :confused:

I think the same thing happens at Case Western. Keep this up and Ohio may become a satellite sub-state of Utah.

Members don't see this ad :)
so, we should all add temple to this list as well :) haha of my interviews, temple had one of the highest utah student ratios. lol

oh, to OP..

My choice towards UCSF came easily..mainly because OSU dental school wasn't as diverse as i thought..
I had a feeling that they do open up to minorities, but lack of diversity makes, minorities to choose somewhere else..

to be honest with you of 50 people at my interview, i've seen three types of people.

1. OSU's in my blood type= most in state OSU students deeply rooted to the school passing down from their grandpas.
2. Arizona, Utah, and some other states like california=white students
3. the rest of out of state students who aren't related to OSU by any means= most of whom are minority students..accounting about 1~2 out of 50...

and i didn't feel comfy with the students...
i did feel comfy with the school and faculty though..
but the students are who you are gonna be with for next 4 years of your life and i couldn't find any common ground with them both racially as well as the way we brought up.

the environment is surprisingly somewhat similiar to that of Utah i thought, so Utah kids would have easier time getting used to the OSU dental school.

OP, hope the OSU dental school is the right place for you. Less diverse student body at OSU dental made me choose other wise but hope it's right for you.

If that happened minority groups probably would be up in arms, and they just like the majority of the people in this thread, would also be wrong.

Ohio State, for the last five years, has been known as the school that takes Utah kids. VCU was that school until Brownstein left, now Ohio State is that school.

Temple, Case, Nova, Tufts, UCLA, Marquette etc., all take Utah students as well. It don't think it is by some bribe or unwritten rule. It is because Utah students come in well prepared and work hard for good marks in dental and other professional schools.

Is it fair? Who cares? Get good scores and get in. Why didn't some schools take any Utahns? Is that fair?

I hate it when someone brings up "fair". It is such a BS topic that is so vague. I hate it even more when a school "has" to accept so many asians so many blacks and so many women. Just accept all the most qualified students and forget about race and ethnicity and religion thing.

OSU accepted who they did because they were the most qualified and best fit for their program. There is no mormons only WICHE program or anything like that.

Usually the states w/o a dental school produce pretty strong applicants for d-school due to the fact that it's pretty tough to get into public institutions from out of state. I propose that for the 2008 cycle all applicants from states without dental schools or from states with low dentist:population ratios get consideration as URM.

Oh, by the way..
I chose UCSF over OSU.
and talk about difficulty of being accepted to UCLA or UCSF as an out of state student...

:laugh:

It definitely is hard to get into our state schools as an out of stater, but using your own account...Utah sends out 400 potential dentists to graduate from out of state schools hoping they will then come home to your already over-saturated state of dentists which only has a population of 2,000,000 people. So that's like 1 dental student per 5000 people in your state.

Well, if all five California dental schools accepted ONLY california residents each year, we'd still only graduate 548 dentists each year....and our state has a population of about 34,000,000 which is 1 dental student per 62,000 people...so yer lucky our state schools accept any out of staters...

:D

you dont want to mess with OSU i had nothing but problems and no one to give me answers

OP,
Getting accepted to a public school as a nonresident is a difficult thing to do. The only reason that I can think of as to why so many Utahns got accepted to OSU is that the students from Utah had better applications than most of the others. How else could it be justified?

With all the sentiment out there about Utahns and no contract in place, is there really any other explanation?

Something else that I think a lot of people are forgetting is that a lot of the guys that come out of Utah are not only well qualified, but aren't really Utah residents. Most of them are from other states, but by leaving the state for X amount of time, and due to the fact that a lot of them get married, many lose their residency from their home states. Thus they are considered Utah residents when they are really from California, TX, CO, WA, OR, etc... I know alot of people who apply to upwards of 15-20 schools. ($$ ouch)

Most guys that are coming out of schools here have really good stats, and they come from 1 of 2 schools, both of which are extremely competitive with regards to pre professional students. Most do some form of research and have rediculous amounts of EC. And as far as standardized tests are concerned, a lot of really good scores come out of Utah. My buddy got a 25AA 29PAT last summer (wow, I know) The funny thing is he hasn't been accepted anywhere in 2 years now. (his GPA is a 2.8ish) CA resident

You should see the stats for BYU grads to Ohio Med School. I think somewhere around 30 got in this year. That's what happens when you have competitive undergrad students applying as out of staters... They become competitive and thus raise the bar and everyone does really well.

Something else that I think a lot of people are forgetting is that a lot of the guys that come out of Utah are not only well qualified, but aren't really Utah residents. Most of them are from other states, but by leaving the state for X amount of time, and due to the fact that a lot of them get married, many lose their residency from their home states. Thus they are considered Utah residents when they are really from California, TX, CO, WA, OR, etc... I know alot of people who apply to upwards of 15-20 schools. ($$ ouch)

Most guys that are coming out of schools here have really good stats, and they come from 1 of 2 schools, both of which are extremely competitive with regards to pre professional students. Most do some form of research and have rediculous amounts of EC. And as far as standardized tests are concerned, a lot of really good scores come out of Utah. My buddy got a 25AA 29PAT last summer (wow, I know) The funny thing is he hasn't been accepted anywhere in 2 years now. (his GPA is a 2.8ish) CA resident

You should see the stats for BYU grads to Ohio Med School. I think somewhere around 30 got in this year. That's what happens when you have competitive undergrad students applying as out of staters... They become competitive and thus raise the bar and everyone does really well.

I suppose the assumption is that a Utah Pre-dent is pretty much always a man. I wonder how many out of the 400 or so each year are women...I think Hotty is one of those few and far between.

I'd like to see some stats and sources on Utah students (DAT scores, etc.). I had no idea they had such impressive students and schools, which seems to be the prevailing argument here as to why so many Utahns get accepted into D schools - 10% of all grads is a lot. I admit I'm a little skeptical.

no offense to those form utah or other states who don;t have dental schools. But there are some states that have schools that are considered half private/half public and take mostly out of staters.... yet those of us in this state don't get any breaks/priorities form other states because they consider these schools in state schools.

Right. like I got a break because I went to Utah for undergrad:rolleyes: Sounds like a cop-out on your part. I grew up in Seattle and lived in Utah for four years and applied as a Utah resident.

18 DAT 21 PAT 3.4 GPA

Nothing spectacular. Temple took a chance on me, for that I am grateful, but just because I applied from Utah doesn't mean I got a break. I was up against some good competition though in my undergrad classes.

Utah has the highest applicant pool out of any other state on AADSAS. BYU, UVSC, UofU, Utah State, Weber, etc. all have very good predental programs and many people look at the lifestyle of all 150,000 dentists in the state (saturation?) and say, man I want that. So they go to school, typically after having served a full time mission (2 years or 60 hour work weeks on average - by work i mean religious proselytization (sp?)) and they come back and after that a lot of things seem easy. SO they get good scores, get great letters of recommendation from Gordon Christiansen (sp?), shadow 2-3 of the 175,000 dentists in Utah (In the space of you reading this the number has grown) and voila!

Free ride into another school? No. Deal with other states? No. It is just the way it is I guess.

I sat on the admissions committee at Ohio State for two years. I can tell you all with absolute certainty that there is NO arrangement with Ohio State and the State of Utah. The ONLY admissions factor pertaining to residency of any state is whether or not you are a resident of OHIO. NOBODY is getting bonus points for being from Utah or from any other state. Once you're not from Ohio, it doesn't matter where you come from.

Now as to why so many applicants are from Utah, you can go ahead and debate that all day long. According to AADSAS, 10% of applications last year were from Utah. That's crazy. Why do so many apply to OSU? Go ahead and debate that, too. They usually do very well, though...3 out of the top 5 in my class are from Utah.

I suppose the assumption is that a Utah Pre-dent is pretty much always a man. I wonder how many out of the 400 or so each year are women...I think Hotty is one of those few and far between.
For your information, OSU take guys who behave like ladies. You know what i mean? OSU takes GAYS pretty much. That's what i heard. A good friend out there told me so. OSU D-Skool is a big time gay school and far as i know Utah provide a lot of those folks.
But what's amazing is 'gays' tend to perform better than normal people. BTW, i am calling gays anormal. I still believe they have 92 telomeres. Those folks brain should be tested and see what's make them a bit smarter

Reverend Balls---the dude with no fear

I went to BYU and we had SO many frieken applicants to dental school. At all of my interviews there were other guys from BYU interviewing. Even in a NY SUNY school there was one and I was astounded that out of 80 kids from last years class, 14 were from BYU and 9 the year before!
The competition at BYU is really tough tho. The classes are difficult, everyone's trying to go premed or dent, and there are a TON of them trying. I asked one of my interviewers about whether that was an advantage or a disadvantage coming from byu, he said it was a double edged sword. on one side it gets you in the door, meaning that they know byu sends good students consistently who are well prepared and at the top of the class in d school. On the other hand, there are so many, that if you are not in the top of the top you are ignored and passed over, even if you are a better applicant than someone from another school.
Moral of the story is, stop bitching about other schools being overrepresented and just get better grades. You are competing with 25 year old mormon guys who know what life is about and who have lived in some crazy ass places for 2 years. they can talk the talk and walk the walk. they are used to being interviewed, 1 on 1....its a church thing to be interviewed every 1/2 year from the age of 8. so thats a lot of practice.
most are married and have put a lot of time into preparing for dentistry.

so...yeah,

i just got in on a waitlist in Pitt....i didnt think i was gonna get in. I had a 3.5 total, 3.35 BCP 20 dat....24 pat 21 bio 21 chem 20 orgo 17 math...
not that hot for byu....barely got in....applied to 17 schools.

gl all

its just getting more difficult.

For your information, OSU take guys who behave like ladies. You know what i mean? OSU takes GAYS pretty much. That's what i heard. A good friend out there told me so. OSU D-Skool is a big time gay school and far as i know Utah provide a lot of those folks.
But what's amazing is 'gays' tend to perform better than normal people. BTW, i am calling gays anormal. I still believe they have 92 telomeres. Those folks brain should be tested and see what's make them a bit smarter

Reverend Balls---the dude with no fear

:thumbdown: :thumbdown: Way to contribute to the conversation :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

BYU...applicants for entering class of 2006

396 applicants from BYU....400 accepted into dental school

good for them...they work their butts off! and those grads continue to do so in my class with all the responsibilities they have!

mad props...!!!!!:thumbup:

Reverend Balls---the dude with no penis

Bitter! Bitter Bitter!

BYU...applicants for entering class of 2006

396 applicants from BYU....400 accepted into dental school

good for them...they work their butts off! and those grads continue to do so in my class with all the responsibilities they have!

mad props...!!!!!:thumbup:

Wow, out of 396 applicants, 400 were accepted? Damn, those Utonians must be amazing. I wonder if the 4 that got in without applying were bummed that they couldn't go to law school like they wanted :laugh:

Lots of schools favor students from certain states. Same thing happens in undergrad. And usually it's because those students consistently perform well and give back to the school. What does "fair" have to do with it? We've passed kindergarten

why's everyone down on BYU. John Beck had a great season and they were probably one of the more underrated teams in the country last year (the way they trashed oregon in the bowl game showed that, although I think the pac-10 is overrated anyway). Beck got picked up by the dolphins early in the second round; so he's gone, and BYU will probably have a bad season. Then all the BYU haters can feel satisfied. By the way, if anything is unfair, it's the BCS. They need a playoff system.

the funniest thing about this whole deal is that OSU will enroll 19 of the 25 spots to utahns, but they accepted more than 19. only 19 accepted the offer.:laugh:

the funniest thing about this whole deal is that OSU will enroll 19 of the 25 spots to utahns, but they accepted more than 19. only 19 accepted the offer.:laugh:

So you are telling me that more than 19 spots were offered to Utahns, but only 19 accepted? Wow.

Purplemonkey said he scored a 20 AA and that wasn't that hot for a Utahn? How in the hell are there that many great predents from one state, where a 20AA (90th percentile) is average to below average?

Why can't Utah get its own school?

Purplemonkey said he scored a 20 AA and that wasn't that hot for a Utahn? How in the hell are there that many great predents from one state, where a 20AA (90th percentile) is average to below average?

LDS families tend to put a lot of emphasis on schoolwork, so their children tend to be very good with scholastics. You can see a similiar phenomenon with parts of the asian population, for the same reason.

Why can't Utah get its own school?

Why would a state that's already over-saturated with dentists open a dental school?

Usually, assumptions don't get you anywhere, but in this case you are right on. I am one of two other predents from my university that are female. I am not totally sure how many predents are at our school, but I know I am one of the few women.

Utah has a ton of male predents and I think another poster was right, there are some great predents here. They are mostly motivated men who have walked the walk, have worked hard and know what it takes to succeed.

Ohio State is a great school and I am sure they put out great dentists, wherever they came from. :hardy: