Is this it for me???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sakamoto-san

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've just finished my first year of undergrad and I feel like I've completely screwed myself over. I've ended up with a 2.2 GPA and I failed two classes this year. I honestly don't know what to do anymore, whether I should just give up being Pre-Med and do something else or keep fighting it until a school accepts me. Bear in mind this is something that I really want to do with my life so if I were to drop I really wouldn't know what to do.

Members don't see this ad.

Reinvent yourself. Learn how to study at a college level. It is early so their is no reason you could not recover from this. If you do not think you can do better then start thinking about a backup plan.

Reactions: 1 user
Be sure to check out your school's learning center! Try to ask yourself what YOU think the problems were for you this semester. Didn't understand the material, too stressed from everything, too overloaded? There are ways to fix and improve your habits so that things go better for you next semester. Don't forget the good news about DO schools, they accept grade replacement. So, after you have a grasp on things, be sure to retake any classes with a C and below.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I've just finished my first year of undergrad and I feel like I've completely screwed myself over. I've ended up with a 2.2 GPA and I failed two classes this year. I honestly don't know what to do anymore, whether I should just give up being Pre-Med and do something else or keep fighting it until a school accepts me. Bear in mind this is something that I really want to do with my life so if I were to drop I really wouldn't know what to do.

You need to figure out why you failed? Lack of maturity (that's ok), poor study habits, learning difficulty, maybe you just hate college, perhaps you worked 70 hrs a week, etc. Seeing a psychologist to rule out a learning disability or ADHD could be helpful.

Depending on why you ended up with a 2.2 will make a huge difference in the next step.

If just a lack of maturity/poor habits then taking a year or so off from college and doing something else like working, join the military, do medical missions for a couple of years, Americorps or Peacecorps can be invaluable as when you return to school you can make A's/B's and still have a chance at med school. Med schools actually like people who struggle and then get their life in order and come back and make ~A's. It shows you got your stuff together.

If it's a learning problem then get the help to get it fixed! Once fixed resume your education.

The 3rd option, do nothing and continue on making bad grades and ruin your chances and make it almost impossible to get into med school.

The choice is yours.
Best of Luck

Give yourself one more year to see how you perform in the tougher premed classes. If you are able to swing upwards, keep going. If you crumble and fail one or two more classes, start thinking about an exit strategy or change majors.

First off, go to your school's learning or education center to get help with learning styles, time mgt, test taking skills etc.

If life issues are affecting you, go check out your school's counseling center, STAT.

You should absolutely keep fighting, figure out what the problem is and work like hell to correct it by any means necessary.

However, I think there's something that students in your situation also need to be told -- don't force it. Seriously. If you feel like you're giving a sincere and honest effort (without any extraneous circumstances) and still struggling, choose another path. I say this because there's a batch of students that work crazy hours in undergrad (I mean 60+ hours per week) to pull off a 3.5 GPA, and end up hating medical school because they literally sleep 3 hours a night just to barely pass. I have so much respect for these people for not giving up on their dream, but it's painful to watch and I sense most of them would drop out if it wasn't for the student loans. I'm a very average student by medical school standards -- I have to work my ass off to keep up -- and I was one of those guys in undegrad that would show up once a month, barely study, and finish with all As. Just an entirely different ballgame.

I wish you the best and it's way too early at this stage to not be optimistic about your prospects, but I feel like sometimes people are only given encouragement instead of reality and I thought I'd at least offer a different perspective.

You should absolutely keep fighting, figure out what the problem is and work like hell to correct it by any means necessary.

However, I think there's something that students in your situation also need to be told -- don't force it. Seriously. If you feel like you're giving a sincere and honest effort (without any extraneous circumstances) and still struggling, choose another path. I say this because there's a batch of students that work crazy hours in undergrad (I mean 60+ hours per week) to pull off a 3.5 GPA, and end up hating medical school because they literally sleep 3 hours a night just to barely pass. I have so much respect for these people for not giving up on their dream, but it's painful to watch and I sense most of them would drop out if it wasn't for the student loans. I'm a very average student by medical school standards -- I have to work my ass off to keep up -- and I was one of those guys in undegrad that would show up once a month, barely study, and finish with all As. Just an entirely different ballgame.

I wish you the best and it's way too early at this stage to not be optimistic about your prospects, but I feel like sometimes people are only given encouragement instead of reality and I thought I'd at least offer a different perspective.

Honestly that's the same mentality I have, I really do want to keep fighting, but one of the problems is that I don't know how to phrase it to my parents, they have such high expectations for me and they even told me, "Do what will make you happy." And this does make me happy, do want to be able to become a doctor, but I think the problem is I'm too doubtful of myself. Plus the fact that I was a bit immature this first year, I took it like senior year of high school (HUGE mistake, I realise that), that didn't really help out the formula.

And like you said, sometimes people are only given encouragement instead of reality. I think reality hit me this time round...

I took it like senior year of high school

Welcome to the club my friend, but don't despair. I've seen classmates do the same thing, use it as a wake up call and kick it into gear. Now they finished with 3.6+ GPAs and stellar MCATs and some are going to top 20s. Just make sure you figure out your issues and correct them.

they have such high expectations for me and they even told me, "Do what will make you happy."

This is actually a good thing, while it can be daunting a lot of parents try and force their kids into whatever field they want them to be in. Having parents who have high expectations but also want you to be you is a great combo. That support can be a great thing to have.

Honestly that's the same mentality I have, I really do want to keep fighting, but one of the problems is that I don't know how to phrase it to my parents, they have such high expectations for me and they even told me, "Do what will make you happy." And this does make me happy, do want to be able to become a doctor, but I think the problem is I'm too doubtful of myself. Plus the fact that I was a bit immature this first year, I took it like senior year of high school (HUGE mistake, I realise that), that didn't really help out the formula.

And like you said, sometimes people are only given encouragement instead of reality. I think reality hit me this time round...

A 2.2 gpa without any major mental issue or life issue calls for a reassessment of your career.

Speak with a professional, counseling center or wherever. It will be totally worth the time to have an outside independent person who can be objective and help you figure out your future for you, not anyone else. It could make a huge difference in your future.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

You're in your first year LEARN FROM IT and keep it moving. Just retake the F's when you have learned how to study and get A's then just keep doing it. Half of the people on SDN who have to do post bacs and all wish they were in your shoes where they just have to go up from there (A lot of us screwed up half way through college so gpa repair is harder because theres no trends). You're find just focus and stop partying ;)

Maybe drop the courseload this next semester/quarter and ace the classes to get your confidence back up..

oh... and study like your life depends on it and all of your loved one will disappear if you do not excel. That always amps me up.

A 2.2 gpa without any major mental issue or life issue calls for a reassessment of your career.

Not during their first year. Come on. Stop discouraging the OP; plenty of people overcome a rough start and still get accepted after totally changing their ways.

Don't give up! Just fix your study habits and try super hard. I had a very bad Gpa at the end of freshman year. Like, in the 1.x range. I'm finishing up with a huge upward trend and a Gpa in the high 3.8 range. You can do it!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Not during their first year. Come on. Stop discouraging the OP; plenty of people overcome a rough start and still get accepted after totally changing their ways.

I was just being honest. I actually had a rough first year with a 3.3 and didn't fare any better throughout my undergrad years. However, I later found out that I always have a mental condition that has been undiagnosed for years.

If the OP busts his or her behind by studying 30-40 hrs a week and only manages a 2.2, there is hopefully something else at work.