Is This Normal??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smartreader

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been recently accepted into my first choice med school (called of the waitlist). All my life I've been dreaming of the day I would get in. When the day finally arrived, it was pretty much as euphoric as I imagined it too be (maybe a bit too euphoric). However, what I didn't anticipate was how fast the euphoria would where off. Now I have these ridculous thoughts of getting call from admissions stating that my spot has been revoked. I also have these stupid thoughts of my research supervisor calling the dean of my school, stating that he should revoke my acceptance. However, there's no reason for me to be thinking these thoughts. I have a great relationship with my supervisor (though when I told her I got into med, she was less than extatic) and my final grades are great, I've gotten my degree and met all the requirements of my school. Is this paranoia normal? Maybe when I get my official letter of acceptance this week, it'll make me feel much better.

Cheers,
smartreader

Members don't see this ad.

Paranoia normal ? No, in my opinion. Short euphoria normal ? Probably. The next day after getting my first acceptance, the special feeling was pretty much gone...

i don't know about normal, because i don't think i qualify. but i can say that you just reiterated exactly how i was feeling last week when i got off the waitlist into my first choice school. i had all those fears, it wasn't real. i was scared to withdraw my acceptance from the school i was planning on going to before the call, in case i was then left with nothing. it took about a week for the official letter to come in the mail (i got in off the waitlist with a phone call and an email) and that week was filled with more anxiety than before the call. strange, i agree. but when want something so bad and don't realistically think it will happen its hard to change your mind frame so quick. crazy. i still think i'm dreaming. but we're not!!! congrats!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
oh yeah, i did feel much much better when i got the official letter, and very relieved when i finally put that acceptance form and check in the mail! congrats, and enjoy!!

smartreader said:
I have been recently accepted into my first choice med school (called of the waitlist). All my life I've been dreaming of the day I would get in. When the day finally arrived, it was pretty much as euphoric as I imagined it too be (maybe a bit too euphoric). However, what I didn't anticipate was how fast the euphoria would where off. Now I have these ridculous thoughts of getting call from admissions stating that my spot has been revoked. I also have these stupid thoughts of my research supervisor calling the dean of my school, stating that he should revoke my acceptance. However, there's no reason for me to be thinking these thoughts. I have a great relationship with my supervisor (though when I told her I got into med, she was less than extatic) and my final grades are great, I've gotten my degree and met all the requirements of my school. Is this paranoia normal? Maybe when I get my official letter of acceptance this week, it'll make me feel much better.

Cheers,
smartreader

I didn't get pulled off the waitlist, but I've been having those scared thoughts too. Not seriously, but just sort of milliseconds of "everything is okay, right?". So long as you don't think the school has bugged your house or is tapping your phones, I think you're cool.

I spent the entire first year of school looking over my shoulder, convinced someone was about to grab me and say "there's been a horrible mistake...you're not supposed to be here."

Took me awhile, but I got over it. ;) You're normal. Congrats on your acceptance! Save the worries for the fall and enjoy yourself this summer. :cool:

Your post is EXACTLY the way I felt. Even though I have sent in my acceptance and check to my first choice, off-the-waitlist school, I am still entertaining the thought of someone from my past calling admissions and telling them to revoke my acceptance. O well.....I guess there are others in the same boat. Also, yea, that euphoria lasted maybe a day, and a few instances in the following days, but now, its just all back to normal. I thought the grass would have been much greener....

smartreader said:

Cheers,
smartreader

I hope the paranioa is normal, because I've been feeling it, too. But my euphoria lasted the better part of 2 weeks. I keep thinking if I can just make it until a week into classes, they won't be able to replace me!

Try to relax. Then, once you get the letter, you can really relax. Don't worry about one of your references calling and bad-mouthing you. If they didn't like you, they wouldn't have written letters for you. Your supervisor would look really bad if they called and bad-mouthed you. Depending on the circumstances, they could lose their job for doing it. Plus, you could probably sue them if they managed to get you dropped. Besides, if you've been accepted, then your LORs are fine. Anyway, try to relax, and wait for the letter. Everything will be fine.

And yes, you're being paranoid, but no one's perfect. I am also uncomfortable with my future being so dependent on other people.

I feel your neurosis, as I share the same affliction. I was taken off the WL at one of my top choice schools by the phone. The nervousness comes in when I found out that my conversation had been recorded by my answering machine. I know that since it was like 8:30 AM when I got the call I would be half-asleep and groggy on the phone, but I didn't expect upon listening to my recorded self to hear a loud, over-enthusiastic, helmet-wearing ******o. Needless to say, I deleted the message right after so that all evidence was (hopefully) destroyed. I just wanted to see the horrified look on the Dean's face when he hung up the phone.

Sweet Tea said:
I spent the entire first year of school looking over my shoulder, convinced someone was about to grab me and say "there's been a horrible mistake...you're not supposed to be here."

Took me awhile, but I got over it. ;) You're normal. Congrats on your acceptance! Save the worries for the fall and enjoy yourself this summer. :cool:

I agree with Sweet Tea, I kept thinking: wait, there's been a terrible mistake. Someone else named Ms. Kitty Paws was who we had in mind, not you. Actually, when I expressed these thoughts and fears to my new classmates, several of them said they felt the same way. Now that first year is over I am just sort of relaxing about it. But not completely yet! It feels good to be "normal." :)

Ok, thanks for the response guys. I'm glad that I'm not the only one that feels that way. I feel much better now that I have my official acceptance letter from admissions. However, now that the paranoia is more or less gone, I'm beggining to feel a bit nervous about starting med school. Regardless, I'll try and enjoy the rest of the summer.

Cheers,
smartreader

I worry constantly that everyone else will be smarter/more prepared than me, and I'll be the Forrest Gump one who doesn't understand why the damned kidney works. :thumbup:

Incidentally, I am pissed off at the school who waitlisted me. It makes me feel like they think I'm not good enough for them. Even though it *had been* my first choice, I am very close to not choosing to go there at all, even if they call me up off the waitlist. I'd almost rather be at a place that wanted me from the get-go; called first off to give me an interview, called to let me know I was in, and treated me with respect. Rather than the place that said, "Well, he's really sub-par, and if we have to scrape the bottom of the barrel, we'll offer him a seat, I guess..." :laugh:

Larsitron said:
I didn't get pulled off the waitlist, but I've been having those scared thoughts too. Not seriously, but just sort of milliseconds of "everything is okay, right?". So long as you don't think the school has bugged your house or is tapping your phones, I think you're cool.

If that is really your cat. . .you officially have the cutest cat on the face of this earth. period.

Just wait until your about to start residency...the feelings come back with a vengance. One of my friends did a project looking at med student's insecurities, and guess what? We're all playing cool and calm on the surface, but beneath that we're quivering bags of insecurity for the most part.

One of the hardest things for me to learn during first year was that no one was showing their insecurity (including myself) but everyone was feeling it. If can be an isolating, lonely feeling, and the best way to battle it is to do what a poster above mentioned: talk to your classmates (pick the nicest, most in-touch ones) and ask them about it. You'll be reassured that EVERYONE feels like a fraud in some way.

yeah i worry about the same things. being a doctor would change my life, i cant believe it seems so close to happening.