ladyscorpian14

10+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2007
Ice city AKA Anchorage
Status
Pre-Medical
I feel like I'm not normal because I can't work unless I'm under stress or in a hurry .Does that make sense to you like I have a math final and 8 page paper due tues my body refuses for me to do it. But it's like the day before it's due and the day it's due It's like I had a case of redbull i'm so hyped up that I get it all done. I would like to be like my friends able to study days before a test or every day. In class I get all my info and take notes. Can anyone offer any suggestions like for math the online math games help me not to be bored it's really fun. I don't have the bored problem with science classes because there so fun!!!!

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
...Can anyone offer any suggestions like for math the online math games help me not to be bored it's really fun. ...
It's probably a good idea to learn how to force yourself to get work done without games or deadline pressure. Down the road, you won't have time for either.

dragonfly99

10+ Year Member
May 15, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
Well, to some extent this (procrastinating - let's call it what it is) IS normal, but it's something you have to outgrow for the most part if you are going to make it in medical school. In general, unless you are brilliant you won't be able to "cram" all the material before medical school exams. Also, at my school we had exams in blocks (like tests every day for 4 or 5 days in a row) with NO reading days prior to them, and with materials presented up to the day before the first exam was given. So you need to like (or at least tolerate) studying several hours/day every day to be able to make it through most all medical schools that I know of.

nsx

10+ Year Member
Jun 13, 2008
Status
well a lot of people perform better under pressure because it's a great adrenaline rush, but if you can't get anything done without pressure...you're gonna need to find the motivation to get past that. Some smart kids don't make it med school, but just about everyone who gets admitted knows how to work hard. If you don't want to be weeded out, you gotta find a way to get the job done even when you don't enjoy the subject. How much math do you have to take anyway?

Archimedes83

10+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
I feel like I'm not normal because I can't work unless I'm under stress or in a hurry .Does that make sense to you like I have a math final and 8 page paper due tues my body refuses for me to do it. But it's like the day before it's due and the day it's due It's like I had a case of redbull i'm so hyped up that I get it all done. I would like to be like my friends able to study days before a test or every day. In class I get all my info and take notes. Can anyone offer any suggestions like for math the online math games help me not to be bored it's really fun. I don't have the bored problem with science classes because there so fun!!!!
ladyscorpian,

I know exactly how you feel. I've been the same way ever since middle school. I've made attempts to study on a more "regular" basis or to write a term paper well before it's due and actually found that my grades suffered more. As a few people on the forum have said it may just be the rush. I have a feeling that this won't fly in medical school though. Every day will be "forced" which could possibly lead to getting burnt out real quick.

For me the motivation is where it gets hard. Four days before a test...I could either relax or study. I would almost always choose relax, for that day and the next three. Then cram away the night before. I would recommend joining a bunch of study groups. They always helped to push me to study with friends. Even if I didn't study on my own outside of the groups, I had at least studied some.

I know that when I eventually get into med school my study habits will need to be drastically different. I think it would better suit you (and all of us procrastinators for that matter) to change them now rather than later.

Just know that you're not alone!!