Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Pre-Optometry' started by thanotoriousfob, Dec 14, 2008.

1. thanotoriousfob

7+ Year Member

Optometrist
    I applied to PUCO, SCCO, WU and will MAYBE apply to MWU.

I submitted applications to all school around mid-November. PUCO is still deciding, SCCO already invited for an interview and I got a letter from WU saying "No" to an interview!

I'm disappointed I did not even get invited to an interview at Western. In reality though it was my last choice so it did not bother me too much but it does have me thinking, why is a more prestigious school like SCCO going to say yes while a brand new school says no? I have somewhat competitive stats 3.3 accum 350 AA 370 TS.

Now I'm thinking of applying last minute to MWU as a backup school. I normally would wait another year if I don't get accept to PUCO or SCCO but I've been out of school 2 years already and can't lose time.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. caliopt23

2+ Year Member

That's definitly strange, and seems like the rejection isn't due to your stats. Even if they weren't giving more interviews at this point, why would they not put your application on hold or something for now. Have you contacted them at all?

4. thanotoriousfob

7+ Year Member

Optometrist
    I did contact them yesterday but of course, it was a Saturday. I'll call them again because from my experience they take a long time to respond.

5. fkajoshaj

2+ Year Member

thanotoriousfob, that is extremely wierd. when u call up the school and find out, can you please inform us?? Cuz I applied to WU as well, but ur stats are better than mine so im worried. Thank you.

6. XxMsICarexX

2+ Year Member

Pre-Optometry
    It's absolutely normal. All schools have their own criteria in searching for students. I got accepted to Western Health and PCO - still hearing from UHCO. My stats is lower than yours - GPA 3.55, OAT 320/TS340, I did not get an interview from SCCO due to my RC is right below 300. They wrote me a letter saying that I should go retake my test before they offer me interview. However, I know I have enough choices and not need to go to SCCO interview. I have 3 + yrs of experiences in Optometry. WH looks alot on your maturity and development. GPA and OAT is not everything. Their interviews were all behavioral questions - basically - You might need to check what you wrote on your personal statement. That probably is the keypoint to your interview invitation.

7. thanotoriousfob

7+ Year Member

Optometrist
    My personal statement was edited by an advisor at my university. I don't really think it has anything with my personal statement. It's written well. Maybe it's a blessing in disguise.... this school is terrible at getting back to me and they hardly pick up the phone.

8. REJ815

2+ Year Member

Pre-Optometry
    Hmm.. maybe you're trying the wrong e-mail or the wrong phone number? In my experiences with contacting them I've received responses to e-mails within 2 days and a phone call returned the same day. In your situation I'm sure you'd want to speak with the director of admissions so try this e-mail... [email protected] if you haven't done so.

9. drbrowneyez

Pre-Optometry
    My guess would be that since your stats are pretty good, the admissions at Western probably realize that they are at the bottom of your list and you are most likely going to get into a more established school. My friend got waitlisted at SCCO last year and she has stats pretty close to yours. I guess they were waiting to see if she would get accepted to UCBSO (which she did). Hope that helps.

10. thanotoriousfob

7+ Year Member

Optometrist

Well I'm still not sure. I called them last week and I was told to speak with Malika who happens to be on vacation. So I won't know until Jan 4/5 or so. I'll keep you guys posted.