Medical Is this plagiarism on personal statement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I had written quite a few drafts for my personal statement and thought it was time to have it looked at by an editing service. The first editor I got did some massive edits. He never changed the message of my personal statement, but he made enough changes that I thought it seemed kind of fishy. So I went through and made changes to fit my writing style and kept things sounded like something I wrote and didn't change the meaning of the essay. At this point there are roughly 4 sentences that I kept of the revisions the editor made. I thought my personal statement was good and didn't think I had plagiarized since I was using an editing service that had been vetted so heavily by other premeds, so I went ahead and submitted my application, but I am worry I plagiarized by incorporating the revisions the editor made. In fact a couple of those sentences expound a bit more on idea I had brought up. What should I do? Did I plagiarize? I am really close to pulling my application and thinking of reapplying next year. Should I just email AMCAS and AACOMAS about it, with a new personal statement?
This is not plagiarism

Members don't see this ad.

You should know what plagiarism is because that's drilled into every college freshman at the least. You're paying someone to edit your work and the editor has consented as long as you pay the person. Consequently you're not stealing. What you can't do is lift from other people's personal statements without their permission and claim it as your own. Yes, a lot of essays I have read sound extremely similar so you need to be sure your editor isn't lifting unique phrases and paragraphs from other essays he/she has written for others.

Status
Not open for further replies.