Is this plan unusual?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TechNoirShooter

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, all the topics similar to this were in the MD forums.

I have been seriously considering pharmacy school recently. I am getting a degree in biology in spring 2010. I have already taken the pre-reqs for most pharmacy schools, but I am not happy with my performance. I have 'confidential' reasons.

Anyway, would it be unusual to retake those classes after I graduate (my school has an extended education program) and then apply to pharmacy school? I don't want to waste money on an unsuccessful application cycle.

If not all of them, which ones?

Bio 1 C
Bio 2 B
GChem 1 A
GChem 2 A
OChem 1 B
OChem 2 W
Physics 1 B-
Physics 2 D

Thanks a lot,

TNS

Members don't see this ad.

1.) What school did you go to? That matters.
2.) Physics is a tough course but you should at least try for a C+ so you should retake it (regardless of PCAT performance).
Biology 1 I would retake if you have the money/time; but I think you could slip by with a C (depending on your PCAT performance in biology).
You can always retake these courses at colleges (not Universities) but you should look into the schools you're applying to and see if they accept college credits.
3.) I have no idea what W means for OCHEM 2. Waiting?

I went to a Cal State. That's particularly why I'm disappointed.

My top choice is Colorado, but I will really go anywhere that would accept me.

W = withdraw

Members don't see this ad :)
You could always take those credits at an easier school (during the summer especially; courses are always easier in the summer) or a college to still satisfy the prereqs.

I don't know if I had a heavy course load or not:

For my first and second semesters it was just ochem, bio and physics, each with labs.

How would it look if I retook only one class at a time?

Just to let you know, Pitt doesn't require physics as a prereq. I'm sure there are other schools that don't as well. Give them a try, maybe they won't care about the D.

I'll tell yout that I pretty much completed my pre-pharm at Albany College of Pharmacy (ACP), but I don't want to get my pharm.D from there for personal reason even though I do have the option to enter next year as P1.

OCHEM1: C
OCHEM2: C

Probably will take it next summer at a community college again providing I don't get into a pharmacy school which I hope won't be the case. Got stuck this summer taking prereqs for some other pharmacy colleges.

:D

Anyways for those of you that have horrible OCHEM grades, take them at a community college and you will probably find it much easier.

PS. its what killed my 2nd year GPA

Hello, all the topics similar to this were in the MD forums.

I have been seriously considering pharmacy school recently. I am getting a degree in biology in spring 2010. I have already taken the pre-reqs for most pharmacy schools, but I am not happy with my performance. I have 'confidential' reasons.

Anyway, would it be unusual to retake those classes after I graduate (my school has an extended education program) and then apply to pharmacy school? I don't want to waste money on an unsuccessful application cycle.

If not all of them, which ones?

Bio 1 C
Bio 2 B
GChem 1 A
GChem 2 A
OChem 1 B
OChem 2 W
Physics 1 B-
Physics 2 D

Thanks a lot,

TNS

It isn't unusual for people to retake courses at another college (its so common, its pretty much encouraged). I would retake that D because while physics isn't required everywhere, it will factor into your cumulative gpa. Then retake your C classes until your gpa is competitive. BTW, you need to calculate your cumulative gpa (including your GE courses) and a separate sci/math gpa.

As for bio and chem classes, you need to improve your study habits. Your bio classes will not get any easier, and as you have found out with Ochem2, neither is chemistry. Anyhow, its pretty early in the game to dismiss pharmacy school, so you have alot of time between now and graduation to improve your stats. Like I tell others, start busting your butt to get those A's, manage your time efficiently, don't slack off, and don't get caught up in the college lifestyle (which is practically impossible).

good luck.

My overall is something around 3.6...the D knocked it down a bit.

I would have to calculate the science and math GPA though, I'm just looking at my transcript. I would imagine it's lower. EDIT: Just did the GPA calculator on a website, the best GPA I can get without repeating anything(gettings A's in A&P 1 and 2 and microbiology) is a 3.37. That's including the D...when I retake physics will both grades show up on the application? Or does it vary by school?

How would I go about explaining that a "serious and compelling reason" (verbatim from my university's website) is needed for a withdraw? I was doing fine in ochem 2, physics was the only problem I've encountered.

Last edited:
My overall is something around 3.6...the D knocked it down a bit.

I would have to calculate the science and math GPA though, I'm just looking at my transcript. I would imagine it's lower.

How would I go about explaining that a "serious and compelling reason" (verbatim from my university's website) is needed for a withdraw? I was doing fine in ochem 2, physics was the only problem I've encountered.

Yea definitely, get rid of that D, if it brings u back up to a 3.6.

Tell the truth about the W. I got a W in calculus on my transcript, and I told them that I had pneumonia and was out for 3 weeks in late fall and while I wasn't failing the class, trying to catch up with the workload would negatively influence my academic performance of that quarter as a whole.

Point is, as long as you don't have a lot of W's, the school won't count it against you.

I meant my GPA was around 3.77, the bad semester with the D I just had lowered it to a 3.6.

I have a W from Calculus II and one or two PE classes. Then there's the ochem. How many Ws would most schools tolerate? I hope those PE ones aren't that big of a deal.

How many W's they're willing to deal with depends on your situation and the school itself.

I had an entire semester of W's back when I was 19 and dropped out in the middle of the semester. When I applied to Colorado I wasn't shy about giving them the gruesome details what the hell went wrong and they were fortunately understanding.

What you need to do now is to prove that whatever happened with those W's and D's was a fluke. Take more classes, get awesome grades in them, and prove that you are in fact a solid student and whatever your 'confidential' reasons were that affected your grades is behind you.