Is This Possible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

secretwave101

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Got a friend who is unexpectedly pregnant with his girlfriend. They say it's "something of a miracle". I wonder if it's "something of a second boyfriend". Here's her story:

Unprotected sex (the ONLY time) on the night before her period was to start. She's totally regular, so she knew she would start the next day and figured no condoms would be ok. Sure enough, she had a regular 5-day period that started that next afternoon. During the time that she is having her period, boyfriend gets arrested and is in jail from there on out (read: no sex...with her, anyway). A month later, she's late...aaaand, PREGO! I don't know the date of her pregnancy by US. Based on her story however, is there ANY way this girl wasn't sleeping around after her period? I don't want to tell him this if there's a possibility it isn't true, but it sure is hard to explain, unless I'm forgetting something basic I was supposed to have learned in school.

Members don't see this ad.

Possible, but not likely. It all depends on when she ovulated. If she ovulated shortly before or after her period, conception could've occurred. Sperm have been known to remain viable for up to five days, although the average is more like 2-3 days. Given what you've presented regarding their social situation, I'd think another boyfriend would be the more likely explanation. Your friend might want to consider obtaining a paternity test.

I learned my lesson....

When it comes to ovulation time and how long the oocyte hangs around the uterus..... THERE IS NO REGULAR! I know women who can swear by the time they get their period but that doesn't mean crap... Anything can make it come earlier or later like stress, heavy exercise etc etc etc

Sides.. if you remember from back in embryology.. it's the first two weeks prior to ovulation that are fixed not the number of days after.

Of course that doesn't mean he shouldn't test the kid to see if it is his after the kid is born... Granted it will cause a lot of tensions to get this test done but it's valid.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anything is possible....Just watch Maury!!

She had her period like two days later. the fact that it took place would most likely eliminate any chance of the jailbird to be the father.

Social history would indicate possible second partner.

I would do testing.

She had her period like two days later. the fact that it took place would most likely eliminate any chance of the jailbird to be the father.

Social history would indicate possible second partner.

I would do testing.

Although what you are saying is 90% probably what happened... there is a chance that she 'thought' she had a period but it was some little bleeding from the implantation... She also could have had a partial period.. where she begins to have one but stops...

Must test the kid for sure..

Got a friend who is unexpectedly pregnant with his girlfriend. They say it's "something of a miracle". I wonder if it's "something of a second boyfriend". Here's her story:

Unprotected sex (the ONLY time) on the night before her period was to start. She's totally regular, so she knew she would start the next day and figured no condoms would be ok. Sure enough, she had a regular 5-day period that started that next afternoon. During the time that she is having her period, boyfriend gets arrested and is in jail from there on out (read: no sex...with her, anyway). A month later, she's late...aaaand, PREGO! I don't know the date of her pregnancy by US. Based on her story however, is there ANY way this girl wasn't sleeping around after her period? I don't want to tell him this if there's a possibility it isn't true, but it sure is hard to explain, unless I'm forgetting something basic I was supposed to have learned in school.

um yesh, she should get teste, paternity HLA testing..
i have had my share of scares, just las month, with a new girl, but that is for another forum .hahaha:eek: :eek:

I learned my lesson....

When it comes to ovulation time and how long the oocyte hangs around the uterus..... THERE IS NO REGULAR! I know women who can swear by the time they get their period but that doesn't mean crap... Anything can make it come earlier or later like stress, heavy exercise etc etc etc

Sides.. if you remember from back in embryology.. it's the first two weeks prior to ovulation that are fixed not the number of days after.

Of course that doesn't mean he shouldn't test the kid to see if it is his after the kid is born... Granted it will cause a lot of tensions to get this test done but it's valid.
Actually, it's the number of days after ovulation that are fixed. Sorry, couldn't resist. Just got off OB and Halleluia!!!!!! I agree, sounds fishy. Get a paternity test.

Bottom line...wear a freakin' condom, for gawd's sake, newbie! ;)

cox.gif

Actually, it's the number of days after ovulation that are fixed. Sorry, couldn't resist. Just got off OB and Halleluia!!!!!! I agree, sounds fishy. Get a paternity test.

Right, remind me to get the coffee first before I post :oops:

Bio 101 texts will say the luteal phase length varies little from cycle to cycle in the same individual, and that's true, but it can vary among individuals. A woman with a 12 day luteal phase and a 16 day luteal phase are both considered "normal".

Although what you are saying is 90% probably what happened... there is a chance that she 'thought' she had a period but it was some little bleeding from the implantation... She also could have had a partial period.. where she begins to have one but stops...

Must test the kid for sure..

I agree. She may have thought it was a period and it was not. Now if she had full on bleeding then its another story. Also, some women have very light periods and so it may have looked like a regular period.

While physiology probably dictates that this isn't the friend's bun in the oven, thus all of the recommendations for paternity testing, possession of this situation belongs to the friend, not to secretwave101. So, given this knowledge of "likely" infidelity, is it morally responsible to offer unprompted, offer if asked, hint at, or discreetly "withhold" this knowledge of the female reproductive cycle?

I'll cast the first vote, and put my chips on "discreetly withholding" this information.

It is not my business to apply my medical knowledge to evaluate the social situations of others, especially if I am not asked.

If asked, the friend would be the asker, and the "diagnosis" is being made on the girl, who did not give my permission to discuss this with the friend, so still unethical to me.

If one hints, then you are deciding for the friend that he has to know information without giving him the chance to refuse, and also deciding when he has to know, without giving him a chance to prepare.

So this leaves me no other option but to listen if the friend talks about the pregnancy, and if he hints at havin this suspicion, then say, "Well, why don't you talk to her about this?".

Thoughts?

Well said, Doc Oc. What was initially a medicophysiological conundrum has become a social one. I'm super-tight with my friend in the slammer; he's my best friend. I'm extremely worried about him and was so sad to see him get locked up again (likely not for doing something new, but because his past fuels suspicion) just as his life was starting to normalize.

From jail, he wrote me to say that his girlfriend getting pregnant was "something of a miracle". Although his situation is incredibly grim (conviction of any of his pending charges and he gets LIFE), he's suddenly been filled with hope as he thinks about his new child and about being a new daddy.

I've wondered if it would be my place to bring up the paternity issue. Obviously, he believes his girlfriend is monogamous with him. They must have talked about it. He isn't ASKING me to analyze their situation. I've decided that to pursue it would probably be for some twisted personal reason...like malignant curiosity.

So, I've just acted like everything's normal, even though there's hazy unspokens in the story (my M.O. with him most of the time anyway). If they ask, I'll hold forth. Until then, I'm going with "miracle" (or implantation spotting).