is this scam mail?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Even though I completed for criminal background check with the web site that my school provided me. then, I got this e mail after criminal background check. I am wondering if this is scam or regular mail?

if its not scam, should I do background check again?

The below email was sent approximately 10 days ago, and our records do not indicate that you have completed the Permissions & Disclosure. Your prompt attention to this matter is greatly appreciated.

-- Original Email Below --
You have received this email because you have been conditionally accepted by one or more of the schools participating in the ADEA-facilitated program for performing criminal background checks on conditionally accepted applicants. Please note that the requesting school will be notified if consent is not provided, and that failure to provide consent may result in failing to meet the requesting school's admissions requirements.

To provide consent, please follow the instructions below:
1. Paste the link below into your browser: http://www.applicationstation.com

2. Enter the Code: CERTADEA2011 in the Application Station Code field.

3. If you have not already created an account for yourself, click the "SIGN UP NOW" button to do so. Otherwise, just click the "SIGN BACK IN" button to login using your Username and Password.

4. Follow the instructions on the Application Station web site to complete your Background Investigation Consent forms.

Please note that the requesting school will be notified if consent is not provided, and that failure to provide consent may result in failing to meet the requesting school's admissions requirements.

*Please also note that during the Background Investigation process, Certiphi Screening, Inc. may contact you to obtain additional information if required.

For additional information about this service, including details regarding the consumer report to be procured, go to http://www.ADEA.org

If you have technical issues visiting the Application Station site, please contact Application Station Support at: 888-291-1369 x2006.

Thank You
Application Station - Student Edition

This e-mail, including attachments, may include confidential and/or
proprietary information, and may be used only by the person or entity
to which it is addressed. If the reader of this e-mail is not the intended
recipient or his or her authorized agent, the reader is hereby notified
that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail is
prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the
sender by replying to this message and delete this e-mail immediately.

SECURITY WARNING: Sending email that contains private personal
information poses a security and privacy risk and we request that
you not do so.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
no its real.

its for background check. :(

there is a thread floating around here search background.

Members don't see this ad :)
so i'm confused. i'm going to go to osu but its not listed as one of the schools on there. do i still complete the background check or not? the other school that accepted me (nyu) is using it which might be why i got the email but im turning down their offer. do i still do the check?

I feel the same way. I'm going to just call the school that I'll be attending and see if they need it. After paying over $2K for the application process I'm not about to drop an extra $150 on a stupid pointless email that seems bogus!

I just received this email, and on first glance, it does look like it would be a scam. I'm trying to carefully read through this email. I wish that this email would have arrived via AADSAS.

On second look, yes, it does look legitimate.

If you look under the AADSAS FAQ section, you will see that Certiphi does these background checks for designated schools.

**Note, not all schools participate/use Certiphi. Check to make sure the school that you were accepted to uses Certiphi.

I was wondering the same thing (also accepted at OSU) I did have an interview at Case which does require one but i already canceled the interview.

I'll call tomorrow and post the result

I was wondering the same thing (also accepted at OSU) I did have an interview at Case which does require one but i already canceled the interview.

I'll call tomorrow and post the result

I got the same email this morning. At first look it looked like a scam, until I researched it, and It was legit. So I completed it and submitted it, because the school where I was accepted required it (Howard). I was kinda blindsided by the additional cost (150 bucks), especially since I've already spent so much money this application cycle.

they will hold 150... its not the charge. you can be charged way less.

It depends on the state/county that you live in and # of address,names etc... they charge.
the more of the above. the more queries they have to do.
Money goes for querying the databases.

does anyone know the deadline of when the report is due?

It was definitely a "scam email", I found the initial email in my spam folder but got the official apology today. I feel bad for all those who got nervous and did it anyway. The email clearly stated inaccurate information so I hope they will be issuing refunds.

Last edited:
What inaccurate information did it state?

EDIT: Saw the other thread about this topic.

http://www.adea.org/dental_educatio...minalBackgroundChecks(CertiphiScreening).aspx

It wasn't necessarily scam mail. It can be interpreted in two ways:

A) Business wanted to make more money out of your acceptance by sending a need for background check...(even though your acceptance wasn't on the school list...which is sorta fishy business).

B) They honestly made a mistake and sent it to everyone even though people didn't get accepted into the schools listed with the certphi.

Pick and choose!

I got apology letter from them.

You received an email from Certiphi Screening titled: Conditional Acceptance Background Check Consent Request. The email indicated that you had been accepted to a dental school that was participating in ADEA's Criminal Background Check Program. The email was sent in error. Our sincere apologies for any issues this may have caused. Please direct all questions to Suzi Arant (888-260-1370 ext. 2012) or Jackie Smith (888-260-1370 ext. 2436) at Certiphi Screening, Inc.

I called Jackie from Certiphi and found-out that they 'accidentally' sent the email to all people accepted to a dental school.

There is a list of dental schools that take part in the Certiphi check:

Southern Illinois University School of Dental Medicine
Virginia Commonwealth University School of Dentistry
The University of Iowa
Midwestern University College of Dental Medicine - Arizona
Midwestern University College of Dental Medicine - Illinois
University of California, San Francisco
West Virginia University
Meharry Medical College School of Dentistry
University at Buffalo
Tufts University School of Dental Medicine
East Carolina University School of Dental Medicine
Marquette University through its School of Dentistry
The New York University College of Dentistry
University of Southern Nevada College of Dental Medicine
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill School of Dentistry
University of Washington School of Dentistry
University of Pittsburgh School of Dental Medicine
University of Florida College of Dentistry
Case Western Reserve University School of Dental Medicine
University of Kentucky College of Dentistry
University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey
Howard University College of Dentistry
Boston University on behalf of the Boston University Goldman School of Dental Medicine
Creighton University by and through its School of Dentistry

It is from this website:
http://www.adea.org/dental_educatio...minalBackgroundChecks(CertiphiScreening).aspx

If you were accepted to a dental school and your school is not listed above then YOU DO NOT need to complete the Certiphi application.

Also, you should contact your dental school just in case. My dental school emailed me telling me they do not participate in the Certiphi Background Check (USC).

For those that submitted $150 you should try to get a refund.

Wow, I sound like an infomercial or something.

Hope this helps!

I called them and they said they already automatically refunded everyone who paid the $150. But she made sure my name was on the list of refunded people just to be sure. She was really nice :)

Did you get your refund yet? I paid and then got the Email Sent in Error message too. My charge was only 44 dollars but I don't know if I need to call to get my refund or they just haven't done any of them yet.