Medical Is this school list OK for my stats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tantacles

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I wanted to know if this school list looks OK. I'm a FAP recipient, so I think I can afford to apply to about 30 schools this cycle. My concern is my GPA. My MCAT is above the 10th percentile for all the schools on my list but my GPAs are lower than the 10th percentile for most of them, so I'm worried I'm in an awkward, in-between spot at most of my target schools. Can anyone point me in the right direction for perfecting this list?

Here's some background info:

URM (PR) - NY Resident - 1st gen - OK Spanish language skills
cGPA: 3.6
sGPA: 3.6
MCAT: 518

Research: 300 hrs
Paid Clinical: 1000 hrs (EMS)
Volunteer Clinical: 200 hrs (Hospital volunteer)
Volunteer Non-Clinical: 400 hrs (Teaching, tutoring, health workshops)

And here's my list:

Albert Einstein College of Medicine
Boston University School of Medicine
Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons
Drexel University College of Medicine
George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences
Georgetown University School of Medicine
Hofstra Northwell School of Medicine at Hofstra University
Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
Jacobs School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences at the University at Buffalo
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
Lewis Katz School of Medicine at Temple University
New York Medical College
New York University School of Medicine
Northwestern University The Feinberg School of Medicine
Sidney Kimmel Medical College at Thomas Jefferson University
State University of New York Downstate Medical Center College of Medicine
State University of New York Upstate Medical University
Stony Brook University School of Medicine
Tufts University School of Medicine
University of Chicago Division of the Biological Sciences The Pritzker School of Medicine
University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Medicine
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
University of Vermont College of Medicine
USF Health Morsani College of Medicine
Weill Cornell Medicine

Thanks in advance, it means a lot to me!
Overall, I think it's an appropriate list. Admittedly, your applications to Weill Cornell, Northwestern, Columbia, U of Chicago might end up being donation, but your GPA is in the ballpark for what most places will at least give you a look, and your MCAT is excellent. So if you can afford to apply to all of these schools, go for it.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the reply tantacles, I appreciate the feedback. I'm new to things like this so it's great to have you and SDN as a resource.

One thing - I forgot to mention my GPA trend. My freshman year was a 2.9. I quickly fixed that up and proceeded to earn a 3.6, 4.0, 4.0 for the following years. Not sure if that makes a difference in how the GPA is viewed but thought I would mention it while you're here. Thanks!
I don't think my overall assessment of your list changes based on that information. That being said, bravo at doing a 180 after freshman year and improving yourself. I'm certain there are plenty of others who could learn from your story.

Thanks, Goro. What do you think is holding me back from those schools? GPA/MCAT? Or my hours? I did research at Weill Cornell so I'd like to at least give them a shot, but I'll definitely switch the others for more mid-tier schools if you feel that my app isn't suited for those higher schools.
GPA. I'm being cautious as those schools are not known to reward reinvention and your GPA is below their 10% tile

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the explanation, that definitely makes sense. I’ll cut out the schools where I’m below the 10th %ile and replace them with schools like Emory and Case.

Idk if people tell you this often enough but you’re the bomb!

If you can afford it, no reason not to keep those schools and just add the ones goro mentioned. You never know, honestly. You’re in a unique situation where you really improved yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.