Is this too heavy a course-load?

Started by tdod
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

tdod

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I can't get a straight answer from the academic advisors. A 10-week quarter at UCSB. Courses are:
- Organic chemistry (4 units)
- Organic chem lab (3 units)
- Physics for life sciences + lab (4 units total)
- Introductor biology + lab (5 units)
- 4 hours volunteering per week

I feel I have to take all these together for scheduling purposes. I'm worried b/c I've heard ochem is extremely difficult, and physics and bio aren't easy As either. Is it an awful idea to have a course-load like this?
 
Last edited:
I think you should be ok with that schedule. The physics and OChem will take up most of your time, but the biology should be a somewhat lesser burden. Just don't fall behind.
 
You should be fine. There is a general thread called "Official How does this schedule look Thread." Post things like this there next time.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Three lab based classes in one semester isn't fun, but it's doable.

For my sophomore and junior years, I had 3-4 lab-based classes every semester (Bio major). No fun at all, indeed, but I managed to get through it with my GPA unscathed.

My course load 2nd semester Junior year was slightly similar to yours.

Orgo II + Lab
Physics II + Lab for Math/Physics Majors
Upper-level Microbiology + Lab
Upper-level Biology elective (No lab)
5 hours of research/wk
 
Last edited:
Thanks to all that responded!

For my sophomore and junior years, I had 3-4 lab-based classes every semester (Bio major). No fun at all, indeed, but I managed to get through it with my GPA unscathed.

I should point out that I'm on the quarter system.
 
On a semester system, this schedule would have been okay, but on quarters? I wouldn't do it (I go to a university on quarters). You'll be stressed out, lab will take up your time (and just fyi: biology isn't going to be a "lesser" burden! bio lab's pretty easy but you have a LOT of information to learn). 21 hours for the quarter system is pretty ridiculous, especially considering that they're all science classes with labs. If you're one of those people that can handle insane schedules, then more power to you, but this'll be rough.