Is this considered good clinical hours?

Started by flowz
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

flowz

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I've been interning/observing with PT at my local hospital, both inpatient (including acute care) and outpatient, throughout this summer. I was told about the opportunity to apply for a position as a rehabilitation therapy technician, which they are currently looking to fill, as multiple people have left to further their education. I was wondering whether this would be considered good clinical hours? I am working on my emergency medical technician certification, and am also a kinesiology student, and I really enjoy working hands-on with patients. The only other jobs that can be found in the hospital require weekend packages (Fri-Sun), whereas this position is Sat-Sun every other week. The other ones are primarily PCT jobs on floors, whereas this is only for patients on an inpatient rehab floor.

Here is the job description as well.
  1. Works with the licensed therapist in the treatment preparation of persons served. This may include assisting with exercise, gait, hot and cold application, and hydrotherapy, reinforcing rehabilitation techniques under the direction and supervision of the licensed therapist.
  2. Assists with cleaning/inventorying equipment and ordering supplies.
  3. Reports any questions or concerns regarding compliance immediately to the attention of department or organization/hospital administrative staff.
  4. May be requested to assist with managing supply acquisition and stocking.
  5. Demonstrates the knowledge that patient and workplace safety is a priority by preventing errors, accidents and infections and reporting potential or actual concerns immediately.
  6. Supports evidence - based practices.
  7. Displays creativity and innovation in the delivery of services.
  8. Manages resources to maintain efficient and effective operations.
  9. Demonstrates initiative to improve quality and maximize patient experience.

Thanks!!
 
A job is a job. This is a stepping stone to DPT where as, to be honest, PCT is most closely aligned with nursing than medicine but loads of pre-meds take those jobs and no one thinks badly of them and, as far as I know, no one asks why they don't want to be nurses rather than doctors. That said, you may get asked why you aren't choosing a career in physical therapy. You might want to give some thought about the answer you might have to that question. You may also know that there are physicians who specialize in physical medicine and rehabilitation and perhaps that is appealing to you as a career. Or maybe not and you'll explore those options in med school.
 
I worked weekends for five years as an inpatient rehab aide/tech on ortho/neuro/LTACH units. Objectively it was a great way to accumulate clinical hours as well as gain exposure to the day to day roles of nurses, physical & occupational therapists, and PM&R physicians (as LizzyM mentioned).

Subjectively it was one of my favorite premedical experiences. I really loved that job. It helped solidify medicine as a career choice and I actually found myself citing this experience during my medical school interviews regarding the medicine versus nursing versus Allied health career path question.

It's what you make of it OP.
 
I worked weekends for five years as an inpatient rehab aide/tech on ortho/neuro/LTACH units. Objectively it was a great way to accumulate clinical hours as well as gain exposure to the day to day roles of nurses, physical & occupational therapists, and PM&R physicians (as LizzyM mentioned).

Subjectively it was one of my favorite premedical experiences. I really loved that job. It helped solidify medicine as a career choice and I actually found myself citing this experience during my medical school interviews regarding the medicine versus nursing versus Allied health career path question.

It's what you make of it OP.
So I found out after applying that I was denied the position because I was considered "over-experienced", and that there was a better fit position within the system. It only required a high school diploma and BLS, which I both have, but I'm wondering if my EMT-B I'm working on right now might've kicked me out. Any tips on what to do now? There are currently no positions accepting EMT certification at the hospital system I was hoping to work at.