Is this website accurate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

harkkam

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I found this site that gives me hours required, hours on call duty, pay, etc for a PY1 for diffrent specialties.

Can I trust this information.

For example does a Anesthesiology resident only work 60 hours a week?

http://www.ama-assn.org/vapp/freida/spcstsc/0,1238,040,00.html

Members don't see this ad.

That data is compiled from the information that all the programs provide...if you look under individual program pages the information is there for them as well.....so I guess if you trust the info the programs give, then you should trust those numbers

I found this site that gives me hours required, hours on call duty, pay, etc for a PY1 for diffrent specialties.

Can I trust this information.

For example does a Anesthesiology resident only work 60 hours a week?

http://www.ama-assn.org/vapp/freida/spcstsc/0,1238,040,00.html

As far as anesthesiology goes the data is pretty reliable. I work about 55 hours per week. Anesthesia residencies usually follow the work hour rules pretty well. After all the guidelines were based on what we were already doing. Not sure if this data is as accurate for other fields.

As noted above, the data from FREIDA is self-report.

Some programs don't update their data on FREIDA, some lie and some are just filled in by an administrative person who has no idea in heck what the hours are.

You can generally trust the following on FREIDA:

hospital address
health benefit info...

and that's about it. I've found the contact person info wrong, Program Director info wrong, the number of positions offered wrong, whether positions were offered or not wrong (ie, for those that don't offer positions every year), salary, work hours, etc.

However, in many cases what is written is correct - unfortunately, you have no way of knowing except to ask those at the program.