1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Is this wrong?

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by Rxbound, Nov 22, 2005.

1. Rxbound

Rxbound Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I have been beating myself over the head about this, and I would like to hear what others think. There is one college in the state where I live that has a pharm school. I have had three people who graduated from this school tell me NOT to go there. The med school is supposed to be great, but I have not heard good things about the pharm school. Would anyone else have a problem with this? Also, no one wants to be discontented with their choice, because you have to spend 4 years of your life in the school, etc, etc, etc....

Fighting the battles within.....

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ButlerPharm.D.

ButlerPharm.D. Honor Before Glory
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    It would help us if you stated what school you are referring to however in the absence of the above listed information I will tell you that not everyone thinks so highly of every school. It's quite possible that the people you are talking to have some personal reasons for their advice which may not be a good reason for YOU to scratch the school off of your list, keep this in mind when ever you receive advice from someone. The school you choose to attend is a personal decision and I wouldn't allow other's opinions to influence your decision; do what you feel is best for you.

Hope this helps.

4. bananaface

bananaface Pharmacy Supernerd
    Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    It depends on why they didn't like the school. Were their reasons legitimate?

5. Rxbound

Rxbound Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I talked to one of them today, and she said it was because of the classmates (very young and immature). Of course, this is the case most places if you are starting later (which I am 26, so that would be me). Another pharmacist mentioned that the academic standards were pretty low (a 2.0 cummulative and science GPA will get you an interview). I just want to be able to be proud of what I have worked for, and competitive when I go to get a job in a state other than AR. It's accredited and everything, but...does this make sense? Ahh, well....

6. WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007 imagine sisyphus happy
    Pharmacist 15+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Ohio Northern or Ohio State, the degree of prestige doesn't matter - because when you get your degree, nobody cares how you got it. They just care that you are able to do the job and make them money.

7. sarahjth

sarahjth PharmD Wannabe!
    5+ Year Member

a 2.0?? what?? Is this true? I really don't believe it! :cool:

8. Rxbound

Rxbound Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

From the UAMS COP website-
    All applicants with a grade point average of 2.00, or above, on their overall college record and a minimum grade of “C” in each of the pre-pharmacy course requirements, are eligible for admission to the College of Pharmacy. No applicant interview will be scheduled until the application folder is complete

...but, if you are from out-of-state, you are not elligible to apply. :( (unless you have STRONG ties to AR).

9. bananaface

Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    "Eligible" doesn't equal admitted. It just means that you can apply and have your application considered.

10. Rxbound

Rxbound Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

True, very true.

11. bananaface

Pharmacist
    A link from the FAQ
    http://www.aacp.org/Docs/MainNavigation/InstitutionalData/6863_Tab8PSAR.pdf

As you can see on the table, the average entering GPA for Arkansas students beginning in fall of 2004 was 3.61. There were 2.61 applications per every seat. So, you have to beat out 1-2 other applicants to get in.

I am not aware of any more recent data. If someone finds a newer table, please let me know and I'll update the FAQ.

12. Rxbound

Rxbound Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

...sheepish grin....should have done more research. Sorry about that, but thank you for responding!

13. bananaface

Pharmacist
    No problem. :)