Is trump making medicine great again?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Perhaps diabetes wasn't the best example, but his point is still valid .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
But see, it's not. At least not for the majority of common chronic diseases. Cancer, MS, stuff like that is super pricey sure. Thyroid, hypertension, diabetes, arthritis, even RA if methotrexate is enough can be done for very reasonable prices.

Members don't see this ad.

But as an American I'm immediately entitled to every new/experimental possibly harmful medication and procedure available regardless of ability to pay and anything less is an outrage. And if one more doctor tells me "diet and exercise, stop smoking" I'll sue every last one of you..

Reactions: 2 users
As much as I'm philosophically opposed to any government-funding of health care, I acknowledge that it will always be included in any future legislation.

The problem is that we keep trying to go with more expansive coverage for everyone, with plans that cover more things. Sure the price of the plan will go up, but it just means people will have incentive to use MORE healthcare rather than less.

The correct answer is having narrower health coverage, with more basic cost-shifting to the consumer. That is the only thing that will drive down costs.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You mean like the $25 vial of 70/30 you can get at Walmart?
I am curious where you are getting your info -- according to GoodRx, the cheapest available 70/30 prep is $145. The point is valid that a free market economy is only functional when the customer is informed about what he is buying and chooses an alternative that makes sense to him financially. Do you suggest that IDDMs are choosing "designer insulin" rather than 70/30 because they like it better?

I am curious where you are getting your info -- according to GoodRx, the cheapest available 70/30 prep is $145. The point is valid that a free market economy is only functional when the customer is informed about what he is buying and chooses an alternative that makes sense to him financially. Do you suggest that IDDMs are choosing "designer insulin" rather than 70/30 because they like it better?
I can tell you that, when I was uninsured, I paid out of pocket for Lantus and Humalog (to the tune of $7200/year) because I didn't know how to convert to R and NPH (or 70/30).

I can tell you that, when I was uninsured, I paid out of pocket for Lantus and Humalog (to the tune of $7200/year) because I didn't know how to convert to R and NPH (or 70/30).
Thank you for supporting my point -- if we can't do it, how can we judge the patient for not being able to? So much of the problem with heath-care costs is driven by the fact that 1) we just don't have time to educate patients about their conditions/meds and 2) neither the patient nor the doctor really have any influence over the cost of services rendered. The problem is far more complex than just a culture of entitlement in the US

Last edited:
It's only that cheap OTC. I know, weird that insulin is OTC right?

That's why you have a family doctor, that's easy for us (and internists)

It's only that cheap OTC. I know, weird that insulin is OTC right?
Wow! You are correct - I had no idea. Good to know!

But even in light of this, many patients can't maintain glycemic control with shorter acting insulins alone

Wow! You are correct - I had no idea. Good to know!

But even in light of this, many patients can't maintain glycemic control with shorter acting insulins alone
70/30 isn't short acting only, the NPH part works best doses twice a day kinda like levemir

Insulin is OTC?

Mind = Blown