fleisch

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2004
Los Angeles
Status
Hey guys--
Ok so Im starting to get super annoyed....do you all think that UCLA is done? Done with interviewing and everything? Cause I emailed Sarah Johnson in the beginning of January to ask her about my status, and she said they will be interviewing through the end of March..but im starting to get annoyed/depressed cause I havent heard anything at ALL...granted, Im not a CA resident, but UCLA is my top choice and I have fairly decent stats....let me know if you all know anything at all!!! Thanks! :)

Profchaos

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 26, 2004
Status
fleisch said:
Hey guys--
Ok so Im starting to get super annoyed....do you all think that UCLA is done? Done with interviewing and everything? Cause I emailed Sarah Johnson in the beginning of January to ask her about my status, and she said they will be interviewing through the end of March..but im starting to get annoyed/depressed cause I havent heard anything at ALL...granted, Im not a CA resident, but UCLA is my top choice and I have fairly decent stats....let me know if you all know anything at all!!! Thanks! :)
I thought your top choice is the Ok school. :smuggrin:

aceking

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2004
Status
fairly decent stats from out of state is probably not what they are looking for

not trying to be rude

Paulie Walnuts

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2005
Status
most of the people I know that applied to UCLA have great stats (DAT scores 20 and above in all sections), are in state, and haven't heard anything. annoying yes... but nobody can really do anything about it. it's a very irritating process...

egpndoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2005
So Cal
Status
Paulie Walnuts said:
most of the people I know that applied to UCLA have great stats (DAT scores 20 and above in all sections), are in state, and haven't heard anything. annoying yes... but nobody can really do anything about it. it's a very irritating process...
I am in the same boat. CA resident with 20s on the DAT and I havent heard a peep. I dont think that thats a good sign. SO I am assuming the worse.

OP
F

fleisch

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2004
Los Angeles
Status
egpndoc said:
I am in the same boat. CA resident with 20s on the DAT and I havent heard a peep. I dont think that thats a good sign. SO I am assuming the worse.
well, at least i know im not alone....and in response to the post above, Oklahoma is not my top choice--its my state school and sorta my safety :rolleyes: ....all you UCLA-hopefuls, keep us posted with any activity!:) good luck!

luder98

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 17, 2004
Status
Dentist
Count me in. More than two months waiting. In-state, and decent stats (not as decent as the OP:p) Have not heard a word from them. I was told, only about half of the class has been filled up. So there is still hope.

egpndoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2005
So Cal
Status
luder98 said:
Count me in. More than two months waiting. In-state, and decent stats (not as decent as the OP:p) Have not heard a word from them. I was told, only about half of the class has been filled up. So there is still hope.
Only half the class has been filled? Thats great news, keep hope alive fleisch, maybe we'll get in.If I hear anything I'll post it here. Fleisch, did you apply anywhere else in CA?

balance

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 8, 2004
Status
egpndoc,

How do you know that the class is half filled? I am just curious?

I got an email from Sarah Johnson yesterday to set up an interview date. I will keep you posted about the outcome.

egpndoc said:
Only half the class has been filled? Thats great news, keep hope alive fleisch, maybe we'll get in.If I hear anything I'll post it here. Fleisch, did you apply anywhere else in CA?

egpndoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2005
So Cal
Status
balance said:
egpndoc,

I got an email from Sarah Johnson yesterday to set up an interview date. I will keep you posted about the outcome.
I was asking Luder, he/she said that on the previous post, scroll up. Good luck on your interview, let me know how it goes.

ecdoesit

DDS/MS
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2003
San Diego
Visit site
Status
UCLA is pretty slow.
They are likely to keep on interviewing till late july or even august. i know waiting sucks, but that's how adcom does things.

balance

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 8, 2004
Status
Luder,

Where did you get the info about only half of the class is full.

Thank egpndoc. I will for sure let you know what's up.

egpndoc said:
I was asking Luder, he/she said that on the previous post, scroll up. Good luck on your interview, let me know how it goes.

niceteeth

Niceteeth
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
Status
balance said:
egpndoc,

Hi Balance,

I just got an email from Sarah Johnson earlier this week and my interview date is on the 28th of this month. I was curious to know what type of questions they ask you on the essay portion of your UCSF interview. I'm trying to prep up for the interview and I haven't been to one where there's an essay portion. Thanks much. :)

drmojjo

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 27, 2003
Visit site
Status
Dentist
luder98 said:
we are in the same boat. I have sent in my secondary app. late september and have not heard a thing. I hear also from a reliable source that the class is not full yet and they went over 50% of the applications. so there is still hope, it is annoying, I know.
I wish you all ucla applicants luck. :scared:

crazy_sherm

å♪▼æ╬‼▄·
10+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2004
San Francisco
Status
Dentist
niceteeth said:
I was curious to know what type of questions they ask you on the essay portion of your UCSF interview. I'm trying to prep up for the interview and I haven't been to one where there's an essay portion. Thanks much. :)
The subject for the essay wasn't something you should need to prep for. It's pretty broad and you only get like 10-15 min to write one page worth. People say its just to see if you can write. My topic was on my thoughts about different types of exams: multiple choice, essay, or oral exam and which one i thought was most appropriate. No right or wrong, just opinion.

Good luck!

jk5177

Just Kidding
10+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2004
Oregon
Status
Dentist
balance said:
egpndoc,

Say... you want to drop out of UCSF and pass on your spot to me?

Just kidding. I wish it were only that easy. UCSF is my number one choice.

jk5177

Just Kidding
10+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2004
Oregon
Status
Dentist
crazy_sherm said:
The subject for the essay wasn't something you should need to prep for. It's pretty broad and you only get like 10-15 min to write one page worth. People say its just to see if you can write. My topic was on my thoughts about different types of exams: multiple choice, essay, or oral exam and which one i thought was most appropriate. No right or wrong, just opinion.

Good luck!

Funny. That is exactly the same essay question I had on Monday with my interview at UCSF.... Mmmph. They talk. They probably talk a lot among those two UC school's I C.

ecdoesit

DDS/MS
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2003
San Diego
Visit site
Status
UCLA's interivew is pretty straight forward. I didnt have any curveball last year. Just be calm and relax. Unless you lie on ur application, I will be likely to see you next year. After said that, you may want to review your primary and secondary application. They will pick things in there and ask you. Also be nice to the other interviewees cos they are likely to be ur classmates. You may want to check out interview feedback and read up on ADA website(if u dont have anything else to do)

jk5177 said:
Funny. That is exactly the same essay question I had on Monday with my interview at UCSF.... Mmmph. They talk. They probably talk a lot among those two UC school's I C.

Literati81

Poor Nerd
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 17, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
Visit site
Status
Dental Student
UCLA is slo:::oops:w.

But on the upside, you're pretty much in once they grant you an interview.

As for stats, I think they want higher DAT scores if you're from out-of-state. CA [public] schools are notoriously competitive and oftentimes accept applicants who graduated from a similar system, e.g. UC.

egpndoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2005
So Cal
Status
Literati81 said:
UCLA is slo:::oops:w.

But on the upside, you're pretty much in once they grant you an interview.

As for stats, I think they want higher DAT scores if you're from out-of-state. CA [public] schools are notoriously competitive and oftentimes accept applicants who graduated from a similar system, e.g. UC.
I am from a UC with high DAT scores. Do you know if they favor those with M.S. degrees in Biomedical sciences (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology)? I dont know why I havent heard anything yet, I submitted my application on july 26 and the school got it from aadsas on sept 14. Any suggestions?

BUBBLICIOUS

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles
Status
hey fleisch,
Unfortunately, UCLA only has a few non-resident seats. I know that UCLA is really Stats oriented. So their average DAT for last year was around a 22 and GPA around 3.65. So my guess is that out of state residents must probably have around 23's on their DAT and 3.9 gpas. I go to UCLA undergrad and I know a few people that got in as well. Their DAT's were 23 or 24 and their GPA's were around 3.8. Not to say that UCLA only accepts these scores, but you can only imagine what they expect from out of staters. To be honest with you there is a roaring demand among UCLA undergrads to get into UCLA dental school and most of their incoming class is UCLA undergrads with some crazy stats. You may have a chance for an interview cause they are still interviewing but you should also realize the few out of state seats will go tto he the very high stat individuals. For some reason, UCLA is stuck on the numbers and research more than most schools. Good luck!

fleisch said:
Hey guys--

niceteeth

Niceteeth
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
Status
BUBBLICIOUS said:
hey fleisch,
Unfortunately, UCLA only has a few non-resident seats. I know that UCLA is really Stats oriented. So their average DAT for last year was around a 22 and GPA around 3.65. So my guess is that out of state residents must probably have around 23's on their DAT and 3.9 gpas. I go to UCLA undergrad and I know a few people that got in as well. Their DAT's were 23 or 24 and their GPA's were around 3.8. Not to say that UCLA only accepts these scores, but you can only imagine what they expect from out of staters. To be honest with you there is a roaring demand among UCLA undergrads to get into UCLA dental school and most of their incoming class is UCLA undergrads with some crazy stats. You may have a chance for an interview cause they are still interviewing but you should also realize the few out of state seats will go tto he the very high stat individuals. For some reason, UCLA is stuck on the numbers and research more than most schools. Good luck!
Hi BUBBLICIOUS,

Do you happen to know what percentage of applicants UCLA accepts once they are invited for an interview? I know for UPenn and Tufts, they only send out interview invites to approximately 20-25% of applicants but out of those numbers, they accept 75-80%.

BUBBLICIOUS

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles
Status
I don't know the numbers, but if you get an interview at UCLA, your chances are very high. They interview like four people a day which is a lot less then other schools like ucsf and ucla. I would say and interview invite means you're money. I've heard this from a lot of UCLA dental students and friends that got accepted in this cycle. You hear within 10 days after the interview so even though they are slow in the whole application process, they respond promptly post-intervew. If you get an interview you can bet yourself you have a seat in the fall :)

niceteeth said:
Hi BUBBLICIOUS,

Do you happen to know what percentage of applicants UCLA accepts once they are invited for an interview? I know for UPenn and Tufts, they only send out interview invites to approximately 20-25% of applicants but out of those numbers, they accept 75-80%.

ecdoesit

DDS/MS
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2003
San Diego
Visit site
Status
just a quick correction. we interview 10 +/- 1 people per day.
5 at very early and 5 at ~10am. But u will only see 5 people at one time.

And, no, u dont get free lunch, not even 5 bucks reimbursement.
our suspection is that they will give us free lunch(or included in our tuition) during orientation(after we are true bruins)

BUBBLICIOUS said:
I don't know the numbers, but if you get an interview at UCLA, your chances are very high. They interview like four people a day which is a lot less then other schools like ucsf and ucla. I would say and interview invite means you're money. I've heard this from a lot of UCLA dental students and friends that got accepted in this cycle. You hear within 10 days after the interview so even though they are slow in the whole application process, they respond promptly post-intervew. If you get an interview you can bet yourself you have a seat in the fall :)

niceteeth

Niceteeth
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
Status
BUBBLICIOUS said:
Thanks Bubblicious for the assurance :)

jk5177

Just Kidding
10+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2004
Oregon
Status
Dentist
ecdoesit said:
just a quick correction. we interview 10 +/- 1 people per day.
5 at very early and 5 at ~10am. But u will only see 5 people at one time.

And, no, u dont get free lunch, not even 5 bucks reimbursement.
our suspection is that they will give us free lunch(or included in our tuition) during orientation(after we are true bruins)
I just came back from an UCLA interview yesterday. They do all these things to make us feel that we are accepted, but in reality; it still isn't quite sure. They have us sign form so that we understand we will use loupes, will attend the required orientation, and we will have a laptop. In additionally, they ask for our lab coat size, glove size, and scrub size. Also they went over with us the transcripts to ensure we have all the requirements.

How weird? It's nice to feel that way, but deep down, it doesn't feel like I'm officially accepted until I get the letter from them. Either case, that was my experience.

niceteeth

Niceteeth
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
Status
jk5177 said:
I just came back from an UCLA interview yesterday. They do all these things to make us feel that we are accepted, but in reality; it still isn't quite sure. They have us sign form so that we understand we will use loupes, will attend the required orientation, and we will have a laptop. In additionally, they ask for our lab coat size, glove size, and scrub size. Also they went over with us the transcripts to ensure we have all the requirements.

How weird? It's nice to feel that way, but deep down, it doesn't feel like I'm officially accepted until I get the letter from them. Either case, that was my experience.
Hi jk5177, what was your essay prompt?