Is UM's DPT tuition worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ctlna

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!
I recently just got accepted into UM's program and when I went there for the interview I absolutely fell in love with the program. I pretty much decided on the spot I wanted to go there.

However, now, looking into it I realized I would have 30-40k more of loans than if I went to other schools (i.e. UF/UCF).

I was just wondering, for UM DPT grads, if the amount of loans you had to take out are doable (in terms of paying them back once you graduated)?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't go to UM but I am a current PT student elsewhere. NO. No school is worth taking 30-40k more in loans. This extra money is collecting interest that you otherwise wouldn't have had to pay at a cheaper school. My advice is always go to the cheapest school possible, or at least choose the cheapest route otherwise (COL, etc.). You take the same board exam. All that matters is their pass rates. This has been beaten to death lol.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, I understand that. I think I just loved UM so much when I interviewed and I haven't gotten that feeling anywhere else.

But I don't want to be paying loans the test of my life.

Members don't see this ad :)
I remember the initial experiences at my school on interview day. I felt a real connection with some of the 1st year students. I was excited to see the faculty and recognized some of their names from my long hours on the internet ("I read his blog! Cool!"). I hit it off so well with my interviewer--one of the faculty professors--that I thought somehow I was entering a set of almost magical professional relationships. Though I remember that the campus seemed grubby… it was a bit bleak and I had to commute, but given the state school prices I was all in.

Then time happened. Many of the professors who had been introduced to us left. New ones took their place to teach us. My initial impressions of professors proved reliable only half the time. Some people who are great to speak with one-on-one are terrible educators. Some great professors can come off cold at first glance. And when someone seems a bit crazy, that can be a good thing or a bad thing.

Aside from occasionally seeing them at a bar, I don't have much to do with the students ahead of me, and I'm just fine with that. We're all busy with our own stuff.

One of the biggest surprises has been the way the campus has grown on me. I only see a small sliver of it, but I enjoy it and the way it fits into the terrain.. I've seen many sunrises and sunsets as I trudge to and from the parking lot. Sitting here on winter break after so many days of not being in school, I'm shocked by how much I cherish those images in my mind.

Love at first sight is an interesting thing. A brief sample of experience gets projected out in time, making it easy to imagine all the wonderful possibilities that will be missed if things fall apart. Like having some profound conversation with a stranger in a bar and then losing her number (or it was like that back before facebook, but perhaps I'm dating myself now). It probably wasn't going to become a lifetime romance. Sleep easy.

It sounds like you feel torn, even as you may be moving toward the solution with less debt (a move I would encourage). For what it's worth, no matter where you go there will be professors you love and professors you hate. There will be fellow students who seem like long lost friends and those who you dread having to work with. Even impressions regarding the campus and commute can change over time. It's strange.

Having an extra $40k to throw around after you graduate though, that gives you some options. Having lower payments per month means you might be able to take a better job in a town you want to live in as opposed to a patient mill in Nowhere, USA. You could maybe afford to do a residency and advance yourself professionally. Or with lower overhead it might be easier to take the risk and try to start your own practice.

You aren't giving up a magical experience at UM for the abstraction of having a smaller number sitting in the electronic records of some lender. You're choosing whatever is behind Door Number 1 over whatever is in the Mystery Box. And in return you get this new set of choices in a few years that could take you somewhere great.

tl;dr - My initial impressions of my school were wildly inaccurate, so caveat emptor. You'll appreciate having more spending money later.

Reactions: 8 users
I'm not as pessimistic as AWB, but your initial impression is always going to be better than your impression as a student. Your school looks like a lovely bride on her wedding day: it will never look better. Everything is enhanced to make you want to come to the school. You're only going to be there for three years, but it's going to take longer to repay those loans. In fact, you might not be there during your clinical rotations. Would you rather like the school you go to for three years, or your first job? If you incur a massive amount of debt, you will find yourself in a SNF in a small town you don't like.

I know you really want to go to UM. I interviewed there too. Actually, I wasn't too impressed with the facility, but I was impressed with the program. And who wouldn't like to live in Coral Gables? But it's not worth the extra $40k. Think about it. If your going to pay $1k a month to repay your loans, that's an extra 40 months of payments. How does UM look now?

We keep saying it over and over on this forum. Get your undergraduate degree and your PT degree as cheap as possible, assuming the pass rate at the school is >95%. If it's not 95%, then pay more to go to a school that will guarantee your success. Otherwise, go to a state school and save money.

Reactions: 2 users
We keep saying it over and over on this forum. Get your undergraduate degree and your PT degree as cheap as possible, assuming the pass rate at the school is >95%. If it's not 95%, then pay more to go to a school that will guarantee your success. Otherwise, go to a state school and save money.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

I'd say if two schools that you have been accepted to differ in the debt burden you will carry by >$10k there are few good reasons to not choose the cheaper school...obviously there will be exceptions and extenuating circumstances occasionally. But as a rule you would be crazy to choose a school that is going to cost you $40k more than another school you have been accepted to.