Is UT-Houston Categorical Residency REALLY that killer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gorockets

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I have this burning question, so much so that I actually re-created my SDN account which i hadn't used since I was a pre- med :rolleyes:

I was all excited about UT Houston because I'm actually from Houston and I love the city and I haven't lived at home in a while, so I thought it'd be nice to go back for residency, but at my last interview dinner and even amongst others I've heard that the call schedule (Q4 overnight and 8-10 months of wards/ICU :eek:) is pretty horrific... Any med students from UT Houston or current residents (who probably don't have time to read this) have any thoughts? The farther this interview process goes, the more I see how a call schedule may influence my sanity...

Thank you in advance for any thoughts!

Members don't see this ad.

I am a current resident at UT-Houston...

I only had 6 months of q4 call as an intern, as do the interns now. About 4 ward months (maybe 5) plus CCU and MICU. The other call months are really not as often as q4 and are pretty cush/laid back. For example with float you get 14-15 days off, and call at Anderson and St. Luke's is only about 4 a month total. You get used to it.

I actually went to med school where the call system was more float-based, and I like this one a bit better. When you admit your patient, you actually follow them to the end of their stay, instead of constantly taking care of patients that others admitted.