Is virtual ASTRO 2020 worth it for a resident?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluebubbles

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, is ASTRO 2020 going to be worth attending? From a purely utilitarian, apolitical perspective, will ASTRO 2020 be beneficial to a PGY-5 resident in terms of job search, networking, and education? For example, will any employers in either private practice or academics prioritize ASTRO 2020 over other methods of reaching PGY-5 residents? I hear the in-person meeting was indispensable in years prior.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Even in good job years you had to hustle. Now, more than ever, go for every opportunity you can.

I wouldn't miss it as a PGY-5.... And hopefully if you're pgy-3/4 you have research to present so yeah you'll have to sign up?

Members don't see this ad :)
I recall that value of ASTRO in job search being very limited, probably it is more so in virtual format

I dont see how a virtual meeting can help one get a job. What am i missing?

Hello, is ASTRO 2020 going to be worth attending? From a purely utilitarian, apolitical perspective, will ASTRO 2020 be beneficial to a PGY-5 resident in terms of job search, networking, and education? For example, will any employers in either private practice or academics prioritize ASTRO 2020 over other methods of reaching PGY-5 residents? I hear the in-person meeting was indispensable for chiefs in years prior.
Beware..it is impossible to predict the future.

Here is my SPECULATION.

ASTRO has decided to charge full price for something that they assure us is not a hyped up Zoom meeting. Reminds me of the saw that when someone tells you it's not about the money...it's about the money. ASTRO has no choice since a large percentage of operating revenue depends on meetings and events.

Members come in two flavors: academic and community (a gross oversimplification I know but stay with me). From the academic side many departments are likely to have less revenue in 2020 thanks to the pandemic. Attendance is likely to be down for sure in this category. Individuals who have a role in the theatre that is the ASTRO meeting will register but historically meeting fees have been waived for these "faculty". Not sure how this will play out in 2020. Regardless, NO ONE WILL BE IN MIAMI and everything is done remotely.

The community/non-academic members usually rotate which member(s) attends the meeting so that in any given year 20-50% of the MDs in a group attend. I suspect that the demand from this population is likely to be VERY LOW. One can argue about whether South Beach is a great vacation but VIRTUAL SoBe ain't dope. NOBODY WILL BE IN MIAMI

Finally we have our supporters in industry. I really can't predict what will happen in this segment but you figure there must be layoffs and cost-cutting measures so can't count on a vigorous demand here either.

IN SUMMARY if you view ASTRO as a job search/marketing vehicle it is reasonable to assume that the 2020 will be of less value for the applicant. The educational value is probably the same since the content is the same.

I can only provide my perspective but ASTRO is already scheduling meetings that usually take place at the meeting as VIRTUAL events BEFORE the meeting.

I would reach out to your preferred locations and explain that you are keen to be considered and try to do the work before the meeting. Of course if the department is paying your registration then probably doesn't matter.

Uncharted territory, unprecedented times...pick your cliche!

Good luck and cheers

Reactions: 7 users
For senior residents a virtual format ASTRO may have some utility for the job search. However, alternative options are limited.

As an attending, I refuse to pay for a virtual format annual meeting. The value of the annual meeting has been questionable for the last several years. Frankly there are too many other interesting meetings in better locations.

Reactions: 5 users
No it is absolutely not worth it

ASTRO going to help with a souped up Zoom interview?

Guess what, institutions can do those for free already lmao

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Is it worth it? Of course not. Lets be honest.... ASTRO has never been worth it.

The only reason I would pay for it as a graduating PGY5 is in the case you want to go into academics and they try to start asking "So.... did you attend ASTRO this year?" as a way to weed out the "undedicated."

Conversely I think if you actually took time out of your day to attend this most private practices would shred your CV. The only reason I pay for ASTRO is to have access to the presentations virtually to keep up to date.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Is it worth it? Of course not. Lets be honest.... ASTRO has never been worth it.

The only reason I would pay for it as a graduating PGY5 is in the case you want to go into academics and they try to start asking "So.... did you attend ASTRO this year?" as a way to weed out the "undedicated."

Conversely I think if you actually took time out of your day to attend this most private practices would shred your CV. The only reason I pay for ASTRO is to have access to the presentations virtually to keep up to date.

Agreed @dieABRdie

If someone asks me if I attended ASTRO, I will just say no, I was busy with my family lol

Happy to wait for the presentations to be published. I don't need a 6 month headstart on what ppl are doing

Reactions: 3 users
For my practice, we could interview 12 applicants in an afternoon to figure out which 4 we wanted to fly down for actual interviews. That and could spend an extra 125 bucks to get 1.75 SAMs per day. Maybe one relevant plenary. Catch up with a few old friends.

That’s astro.

Can’t imagine paying to stay at home and read posters or some such.

Reactions: 1 users
For my practice, we could interview 12 applicants in an afternoon to figure out which 4 we wanted to fly down for actual interviews. That and could spend an extra 125 bucks to get 1.75 SAMs per day. Maybe one relevant plenary. Catch up with a few old friends.

That’s astro.

Can’t imagine paying to stay at home and read posters or some such.

I agree. The value of ASTRO is predicated almost entirely on social interaction - exhibit booths, meeting your pals, interviewing candidates face to face (or being interviewed), and informally interacting with the faculty.

Members don't see this ad :)
For senior residents a virtual format ASTRO may have some utility for the job search. However, alternative options are limited.

As an attending, I refuse to pay for a virtual format annual meeting. The value of the annual meeting has been questionable for the last several years. Frankly there are too many other interesting meetings in better locations.

Other locations? Everything is online and professional travel is essentially frozen throughout the entire field of medicine

Other locations? Everything is online and professional travel is essentially frozen throughout the entire field of medicine

Still on...

The 2020 Multidisciplinary Thoracic Cancers Symposium is scheduled to take place December 3-5 in Scottsdale, Arizona. As we prepare for the meeting, we are following the guidance and recommended safety measures of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the World Health Organization (WHO). We will also be monitoring domestic and international travel restrictions as well as institutional. We are hopeful that by December it will be safe to hold an in-person meeting, but will make a final decision as we move closer to that date.

ASTRO continues to monitor the developments related to the Coronavirus (COVID-19). The safety of our members and the patients they serve is of utmost importance.

Don't worry they'll just wait until people pay some registration money then change to virtual meeting the week before at the same low low price.

• Haha
There are some that are currently live. However, post ASTRO there is still >6 months in the academic year. Might as well save the meeting days for potential use later in the year.

Rather than hoarding CME days for next year, I was thinking, a better way is to ask your Chair for some time off and use it onvirtual CME’s now.
2021 conference season may not materialize

$500 resident registration fees facilitate the amazing production value on this bump.

They are also charging $80 per poster upload this year. What the heck is that? You don't have to print your poster, so give us money instead?

• Haha
They are also charging $80 per poster upload this year. What the heck is that? You don't have to print your poster, so give us money instead?
You can't make this stuff up.

To me it feels like ASTRO's annual meeting has turned into a painfully obvious money cash grab conference. I've been other big conferences for other specialties and there's not even close to the same amount of superfluous low-impact research. It feels like ASTRO accepts the vast majority of submissions in order to get people to register for the meeting (and pay the exorbitant poster fees). One year I tested this theory to the by submitting a SEER database query that I did in 25 minutes and it was accepted as expected. In addition other conferences have significantly reduced fees for residents, usually <$100.

That being said, it was very helpful to go as a PGY-5 to be able to interview for multiple jobs as conveniently as possible. I also love seeing my buddies from residency and even friends from the interview trail.

Now that there's no in-person interviews, it seems pointless to pay the registration fees. If you're a PGY-5, you're going to do phone//video interviews that don't require you to have registered for the meeting.

As for the research part, I'll read the press releases online for the good research and the abstracts will all be published online for reference.

I guess the only people who should register are people who need to pad their CVs with presentations and I'm guessing they won't let you present without the registration fees.

Gonna attempt to ask my admin to let me spend my CME budget on a real research project.

• Love
1) Pay the $80
2) Add Heywood Jablome, M.D., as senior/final author on poster
3) Upload poster
4) Emotionally profit from stickin' it to the man

• Haha
I know everyone feels pressure to be an ASTRO member, but look at the track record and ask yourself, "Are they supporting my interests and the interests of the field at large, or are they supporting the interest of a handful of large academic hospitals?"

If you don't like the answer, find someone else to give your money. You don't have to be a member.

Oh wow how selfless of them:

1597693485404.png

• Haha
Access to the Exhibit Hall Virtual Happy Hour

Is ASTRO sending some boxed wine for this "virtual" Happy Hour to all registered participants? Or do we just "virtually" get drunk, talk **** about people with our pals, and leer inappropriately?

• Haha
Is ASTRO sending some boxed wine for this "virtual" Happy Hour to all registered participants? Or do we just "virtually" get drunk, talk **** about people with our pals, and leer inappropriately?

Whoa whoa whoa there partner, we call that "networking" 'round these parts.

$400 is reasonable, so long your department reimburses you (not taking it from your book allowance). If they do not cover $400, don't pay. You can use someone else's password later in the year to watch interesting lectures. I'm doing that, an attending with a fine salary.

ASTRO: Be a good solider and pay for the annual meeting - early-bird deadline extended

also want to acknowledge and respond to all who have expressed your feelings about our pricing structure, both for members and residents. As Laura Thevenot shared in her blog post, the financial implications to a relatively small specialty association have been significant. Canceling the Miami meeting incurred tremendous costs. Our Annual Meeting is a primary revenue source for ASTRO and because we had to cancel the in-person meeting due to COVID-19 and the need to keep our communities safe, the organization absorbed the many monetary damages associated with canceling a city-wide annual meeting. The Board had to take extraordinary fiscal action inside ASTRO to keep our activities and member support services going. We know the Annual Meeting is the key educational activity of the year for many of our members and, thus, we as a Board decided to go “all in” on the best learning platform possible in order to keep our members engaged and educated and provide an experience that members would be willing to support. We also spoke with numerous department chairs and leaders about their support for their residents. Overwhelmingly, they noted that the savings from airfare, hotels and meals would allow them to support their resident’s attendance at our meeting. And to-date, we have seen strong registrations for our members-in-training. To ensure that as many as possible can attend, we are freezing the member-in-training and student rates at the early-bird level for the duration of the registration period. We also know that many people are still assessing their expenses for the year, so we are also extending our early-bird deadline for all attendees until September 8 to give you more time to secure your annual meeting attendance at the lowest rate.

ASTRO: Be a good solider and pay for the annual meeting - early-bird deadline extended
Given the savings of academic departments, perhaps they could throw in donations on top of registration fees to keep ASTRO solvent.

So basically, they are using GME monies of the overabundance of residents as a kickback to keep the lights on ASTRO if ASTRO supports their mission of flooding the market with rad oncs.

As of December 2018, ASTRO's net worth was $27.3M, Their long-term portfolio was valued at $33.2M. Operating expenses were $21M in 2018. Meeting fees brought in $11M of revenue.

So, ASTRO is most definitely solvent. One could even ask why an organization like ASTRO even has a "net worth." Shouldn't that money be returned to the doctors who funded the society to begin with? Without an in-person annual meeting to be put together, what are ASTROs expenses this year? Even if they are in the red for this year, why not use assets from the long-term portfolio to shore up accounts? If the money in the long-term portfolio isn't for "rainy day" expenses, then what on Earth is it for? Again, why does ASTRO have long-term assets and a net worth?

As of December 2018, ASTRO's net worth was $27.3M, Their long-term portfolio was valued at $33.2M. Operating expenses were $21M in 2018. Meeting fees brought in $11M of revenue.

So, ASTRO is most definitely solvent. One could even ask why an organization like ASTRO even has a "net worth." Shouldn't that money be returned to the doctors who funded the society to begin with? Without an in-person annual meeting to be put together, what are ASTROs expenses this year? Even if they are in the red for this year, why not use assets from the long-term portfolio to shore up accounts? If the money in the long-term portfolio isn't for "rainy day" expenses, then what on Earth is it for? Again, why does ASTRO have long-term assets and a net worth?
A question being asked of college endowments everywhere.