Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Kroger and Walgreens launch pilot program to pick up groceries at the pharmacy
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
The real problem with pharmacy and particular retail pharmacy is that we are a one-trick pony. Most customers don't understand that retail pharmacy doesn't make money, the margins are razor thin. Walgreens and CVS make it up in volume. Most people hate shopping and don't to spend as little time as they can in the store. The exception to this is the lonely old retired people who have never better to do with their lives. If a were a pharmacist at Kroger I would be putting in applications to Walgreens.Kroger and Walgreens launch pilot program to pick up groceries at the pharmacy
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
^Yup, I was recently shown our margins on our scripts where I work. Laughable margins.
I think its more like free fries with you metforminJFC this needs to be shared in the pre pharm. We won’t be counseling people anymore, we’ll be checking out their groceries and asking them if they want a a number 5 with XL fries next.
I would use it as a good counseling opportunity on the importance of diet.I think its more like free fries with you metformin
I think its more like free fries with you metformin
Imagine if I gave you 100 dollars but you get to keep 1 dollar. That is low margin. So that store might be grossing 200k to 3000k per week but they are really making 20k or 30k, and that 20-30k has to pay for pharmacist, techs, supplies, utilities, your profit is nothing. Think of it like this, at cvs it cost like 15 dollars in labor to produce one scribe. Lets say that Medicare will only give you 20 dollars that scribe. So right off the back, you are in the hole 5 dollars, might make a little on the drug but you lose money. When Walmart was doing their famous 4 dollar list, they were losing money on every script because the labor alone doesn't cover it. Plus you have to spent 20 minutes on the phone with 83 yr old Mrs. Johnson because she wants to know the name and indication of every pill she already been taking for 20 years. IF you dispense, 10 scribes for a person, you will lose money on some, break even on some and make some profit. But if you don't do enough volume, you lose money. Americans want the best, they want it now and they want it for free.Can you explain to me how the margins work? When I look at the amount of money my pharmacy makes (this is purely gross btw) it hovers around 200,000-300,000 a week. I feel like that is a ton of money.
Pharmacy = the Walgreens store, not the actual pharmacy area. You will pick up your Kroger groceries at Walgreens, not behind the counter lol
If I were the CEO of Walmart or Kroger I would be a fool to not sell my pharmacies. Walgreens or CVS can run them at a better profit margin. Pharmacy is a loss leader for a store like Kroger or Walmart why put up with it.
If I were the CEO of Walmart or Kroger I would be a fool to not sell my pharmacies. Walgreens or CVS can run them at a better profit margin. Pharmacy is a loss leader for a store like Kroger or Walmart why put up with it.
And grocery. During inventory time our pharmacy always carried the store. If your inventory is a mess, then yeah....it's definitely a loss leader just like any other department.Where do you get your information saying its a loss leader? A poster posted a link not too long ago and it showed that the pharmacy was actually used to recuperate money that was lossed in other departments (namely click list and clothing)
Do you work at a Kroger, do you work at large Kroger? I have worked for both Kroger and CVS and CVS does much more volume. Perhaps things have changed. But if the pharmacy was so profitable, Kroger wouldn't be reducing hours and they wouldn't be partnering with Walgreens. I have even heard some talk that Walgreens might buy their pharmacies like CVS did with Target.Where do you get your information saying its a loss leader? A poster posted a link not too long ago and it showed that the pharmacy was actually used to recuperate money that was lossed in other departments (namely click list and clothing)
And grocery. During inventory time our pharmacy always carried the store. If your inventory is a mess, then yeah....it's definitely a loss leader just like any other department.
Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
I work for another grocer chain, and it's a similar story for us. The store manager is always telling me the store would have probably closed by now if not for how much money the pharmacy is making. You need to have at least some volume (we average about 200 a day) but not all grocer pharmacies are loss leaders. Now, my old store doing like 100 a day wasn't making a profit.
We averaged around 400+ per day during the slow time, probably close to 500 now. When I first started there we were lucky to do 100 per day and the inventory was a hot mess. The pharmacy had an entire staff overhaul, and the inventory is consistently the best in the entire enterprise. It's hard work to be profitable!
Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Our mission is to provide students with free, unbiased information, resources, and advising for careers in the health professions. We believe every student deserves access to trustworthy guidance, regardless of background or ability to pay.