Is Walmart Pharmacy in trouble?

Discussion in 'Pharmacy' started by BMBiology, Aug 19, 2015.

1. BMBiology

BMBiology temporarily banned~!
    15+ Year Member

I raised this issue in the Target thread and it looks like it may be coming true:

"Wal-Mart Stores Inc said on Tuesday that lower margins in its pharmacy business had emerged as a drag on profits, as it gets paid less by drug plan managers and as fewer customers pay in cash, since Obamacare has increased the ranks of insured Americans.

The company warned that the margin squeeze would continue for at least the remainder of the year, although a spokesman told Reuters the pharmacy business is profitable and that Wal-Mart has no plans to sell it or find a partner to share the risk.

The disclosure comes as retailers weigh the merit of running drugstores on their own. In June, Wal-Mart rival Target Corp agreed to sell its loss-making pharmacy division to CVS Health Corp in a deal that will see CVS operate the pharmacies in 1,600 Target stores."

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/wal-marts-drug-problem-pharmacy-010156307.html?.tsrc=applewf

I am sure your grocery chains are going thru the same problem. Expect more consolidation in the pharmacy business.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    pillpharmer14 likes this.
  2. 297point1

297point1 Slowly drowning
    Pharmacist 7+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    My reaction to this post
    Six months ago: "There goes BMB on the crazy train once again."
    Today: "Hmmm."

BidingMyTime and RxStudentatUB like this.
  3. Reirrac

7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    To be frank, the pharmacy business model looks weak. There's too much dependence on insurance for revenue. And insurance companies are always looking to cut costs which includes reimbursement rates. Very few people want to spend money on healthcare unless they really need it, and its a life or death situation. Quite a difference compared to consumer spending on entertainment and luxury goods.

rph3664 likes this.
  4. BMBiology

15+ Year Member

You must admit I have been right on. Of course I don't want to be right because this hurts everyone.

I have worked with pharmacists who didn't know a thing. They just want to dispense. They didn't care about customer service. They didn't even know anything about the drugs they are dispensing. But yet, they were still employed. Those days are long gone. They will be replaced as the industry consolidates further and as pharmacy schools keep on pumping out new graduates. It will be a dog eat dog world.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Prepharm1214

10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Complaining about margins yet started the 4$ prescription generics.

6. rxdawg21

5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Having personally worked for Wal-Mart until recently, the profit and loss monthly statements I saw and our markets annual pharmacy profit they would be fools to sell their business. At my store our overall store lost money due to insane shrink and accidents costs (very poor customer base) and the only reason we turned a profit was due to pharmacy. Other stores that actually were ran well and made a profit, pharmacy was almost half of the overall net profit. I left Wal-Mart in December of 2014. I can say that at my store our gross profit went from 20% to 17.5% on prescriptions from December of 2013 to January of 2014. I can only imagine it continuing to drop.

#6 rxdawg21, Aug 19, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
  7. trailerpark

5+ Year Member

Pharmacist

#7 trailerpark, Aug 19, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
  8. BMBiology

15+ Year Member

Any truth to Walmart replacing their pharmacy manager with store manager?

9. pillpharmer14

pillpharmer14 pharmin' til' it's gone

Pharmacist
    This is in no way an endorsement for CVS, but it's only a matter of time until they swallow up the entire industry. The only way to compete with them is to acquire grocery stores and consolidate. So yes, I think it's only a matter of time before reimbursement rates cost the pharmacy so much money that it offsets the extra revenue generated for the grocery business. What Target did was make a sound financial decision and don't think for a second that other grocery chains (and retail chains) didn't notice.

10. awval999

awval999 New Member
    Pharmacist 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    The pharmacy must have a PIC. That makes no sense. It's not like there is any substantial raise between staff and pharmacy manager at any retail sweatshop.

msweph and BidingMyTime like this.
  11. awval999

awval999 New Member

Pharmacist
    They would never be aloud to swallow/buy/merge with Walgreens.

12. BidingMyTime

BidingMyTime Lost Shaker Of Salt
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    This. Pretty sure that a PIC is legally required in all states, so there will always be a pharmacy manager. Now who the pharmacy manager answers to could always change (ie Walmart could set it up that the pharmacy manager answers to the store manager....)

13. Swishers

7+ Year Member

Just like at Walgreens.

14. pillpharmer14

Pharmacist
    Who? Walmart+Walgreens? I'm not so sure. It's not that difficult to parade a bunch of numbers about independent pharmacies and exaggerate your competition to the FTC. People said the same thing about Medco and express scripts.

15. Leper Messiah

5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I do think that when CVS/Walgreens finally get their duopoly, that's when they'll start pushing back hard against the PBMs. Corner the market, raise the price.

16. Peon

Pharmacist
    I have worked for Wal-Mart for 20 years and I see no sign that the pharmacies are in trouble. On the contrary, the pharmacies are money makers for Wal-Mart. I have concerns about the future of pharmacy. I expect the PBM's to continue squeezing pharmacies. I think we will find, going forward, that we pharmacists will not only be micro-managed to death but also that the profit will be squeezed out of pharmacy by the PBM's.

17. MountainPharmD

MountainPharmD custodiunt illud simplex
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I don't think Wal-Mart pharmacies are in any more trouble than any other pharmacy independent or chain. Margins are down for the whole retail pharmacy industry due to continued PBM abuses. When you have an entity like PBMs that operate with zero regulatory oversight and essentially have a license to steal this is what happens.

18. awval999

awval999 New Member

Pharmacist
    CVS and Walgreens. They will never be aloud to merge.

19. HouTX

5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
  20. radio frequency

5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    How can you state this aloud?

21. pillpharmer14

Pharmacist
    Oh gotcha. Yeah I agree.