Is Washington Hospital Center (WHC) really THAT bad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vkrn

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've searched diligently through the SDN threads, and read the 9 reviews on Scutwork. But the comments about Washington Hospital Center and WHC's IM program are scattered, both in location and content.

So I thought it'd be helpful to have a dedicated thread about Washington Hospital Center's IM program: Is it really THAT bad?

I visited recently and had mixed feelings. First, I enjoyed morning report, and felt that it was well-structured, but on the flip-side, it seemed like they structured it that way (problem, epidemiology, syndrome, tiered differentials) possibly because their residents needed the remediation. Then I sensed that my resident was trying to hide her negative feelings about the program, yet she was genuinely friendly to her co-workers. The number of private attendings IS a real drag.

I don't mind working hard, and I actually like a county-type inner-city hospital. But not in a toxic environment where the nurses are completely INCOMPETENT with an attitude--and that seems like a real possibility at WHC. I had enough of that in medical school.

Members don't see this ad.

private patients rule. there are too many of them and the residents spend half of the thier time talking to the attendings for the plan. the chairman is a malignant guy and pimps. nurses are a pain and u do wheel ur patients and draw ur labs - as per the guy who gave the tour. not friendly to their own grads for cardiology. not a lot of research to get involved in as a resident. the seniors have big time attitudes. overall a drab place with not much push from the faculty (which is mostly private) for fships..

im rankin this place last on my list..

WHC has a 98% pass rate on the ABIM Exam. Many of my classmates rotated there as medical students. When I interviewed there, I thought the program was reasonable.

However, the biggest limitation is that WHC is a community program (or more accurately, a quasai-academic program). Because of this, you likely will be at a significant disadvantage when you apply for fellowship.