SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Is Work Experience in USA a MUST for Advanced Standing Program?

Discussion in 'International Dental' started by usdoc9, Oct 31, 2017.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. usdoc9

usdoc9 2+ Year Member

Feb 24, 2015
    Hi,
    Is there anyone here who made it to the advanced standing program on the basis of GPA, TOEFL, NBDE 1 & work experience/volunteer work in their own country ( with No work experience in USA)?
    I am curious to know if Work Experience in USA (Observership/volunteer/shadowing) is a MUST for getting into the advance standing program.
    Replies would be really appreciated!!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. nbde4dds

nbde4dds 2+ Year Member

Jul 10, 2013
    I know people who got into BU without any US work exp. But they had masters and might be some connections in the university.

4. usdoc9

usdoc9 2+ Year Member

Feb 24, 2015
    Okay! Thanks!

5. DrFares

DrFares

Aug 24, 2017
    It's a plus, not a must. You can have other stuff to make up for it. Like a few CE courses, research experience and publications. Even a masters degree is not required as long as you have a solid GPA and TOEFL score. Getting NBDE part II out of the way can also be a plus as well.
    2 friends of mine made it to the USA with 0 work experience and no masters. Just fresh out of dental school.
    Good luck!

doc4x4 and usdoc9 like this.
  6. usdoc9

usdoc9 2+ Year Member

Feb 24, 2015
    Thank you DrFares & Good luck to you too!

7. LocalDOctor

LocalDOctor

Wednesday

Define solid GPA please...?

8. oralcare123

oralcare123 7+ Year Member

Apr 13, 2010
    3.6 and up