Isn't this our job as Pharmacists?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Counseling the patient can prevent punitive actions like that case.

For legit scripts, we can help the paitients. But for addicts who aren't wanting to help themselves, there aint much we can do. They will get their drugs one way or another.

Do you think Vicodin is the #1 drug in the US because we're in so much pain?

My boyfriend who is an attorney actually printed me out a 5 page report on this case with all the legal jargon. He highlighted all the important information that he thought I should read.

Members don't see this ad :)
ZpackSux said:
Counseling the patient can prevent punitive actions like that case.

For legit scripts, we can help the paitients. But for addicts who aren't wanting to help themselves, there aint much we can do. They will get their drugs one way or another.

Counseling without documentation never happened.

Failure to take into account the days supply of previous prescriptions will look pretty sad when you go to court

After you have helped the patient you must help yourself. If they overdose or they are busted selling your refill too soon oxycontin on the street corner they will whine that it is your fault they are an addict and the authorities will hang you.

DOCUMENT AND WATCH THE DAYS SUPPLY

baggywrinkle said:
Counseling without documentation never happened.

I agree. At our outpatient pharmacy, patients (or patients' parents for the most part) have to sign and date a statement saying they've been counselled everytime they pick up a prescription.