Isosorbide Mononitrate inquiry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mjl1717

Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that Isosorbide mononitrate XR is used to prevent angina due to CAD. And it does not abort an episode of angina. (the onset of action is too slow).

My question: Are their aggressive cardiologist who use it "off label" to assist with blood flow hemodynamics in the elderly??. Even if they have not been directly Dxed with angina.. I always thought beta blockers and CCBs were more in this line of thinking.

Very little is written about off label use of ISMN. (perhaps there is a reason for this)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello,
I am an IM resident applying for cards this year. In my program I have seen our cardiologists do that on couple of patients who were intolerant to CCB's (bad peripheral edema) and are already on a good dose of BB's. Not sure how common this is though.

It can be used in non CAD. When you suspect coronary artery vasospasm, syndrome X, microvascular disease- some cardiologists will use it for chest pain.
It is also used for HF - but I guess that is not what you are referring to