levymel

10+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2005
Status
I am an American student and I have been accepted into both Sackler and Ben Gurion. I have a question about licensing in Israel and it something that I can't really ask the admissions board because they just tell me that the programs train doctors for the US and not for Israel...but I really need to know this answer !

I would ideally like to graduate from an Israeli medical school and practice in Israel (I would obtain Israeli citizenship). I am wondering if anyone has any experience in this matter.

I heard that graduates from Sackler are considered like foreign med school graduates and that graduates from Ben Gurion need to do a 1 year internship.What kind of residencies do these doctors obtain after the internships??

Any information about my situation would be greatly appreciated!

Melanie

jackbnimble

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 9, 2004
Status
levymel said:
I am an American student and I have been accepted into both Sackler and Ben Gurion. I have a question about licensing in Israel and it something that I can't really ask the admissions board because they just tell me that the programs train doctors for the US and not for Israel...but I really need to know this answer !

I would ideally like to graduate from an Israeli medical school and practice in Israel (I would obtain Israeli citizenship). I am wondering if anyone has any experience in this matter.

I

Last edited:

LIGA ARTZIT

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2004
www.yahoo.com
Status
I went to sackler and if you want to stay in israel you can you just have to do a "stage" year which is like a transitional year before starting specialty training. It is however not accepted by the administration so if you do it don't tell them it's yor plan - just do it on your own when you graduate. you need to do your boards in hebrew which are different than what sackler prepares you for.
plenty of people have done it--- 1 to 2 out of 60 a year.
good luck!
i wanted to stay- it was the best experience of my life!
but my wife wanted to come home

EBKame

10+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2004
Northeast
Status
Attending Physician
Hi Melanie, unfortunately I can't answer your question on Israeli residencies, but maybe you can answer mine. When did you receive your acceptance at Sackler and when did you interview. I interviewed a month ago and have not heard anything from them. The website says that notifications don't go out until March - June. Did you get your notification via e-mail or snail mail?

i_wanna_b_medic

10+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2005
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Hi ppl,
Iam from India. I'm 24 yrs old now with a graduate degree in Zoology(spl.Biotech). Could someone help me with my search for a medical school which is relatively cheaper and well-recognised, and situated somewhere close to India? i would be very grateful to you!
How about my chances in an Israeli medical school? What are the procedures? What will be the cost including personal expenses for the whole course? Kindly spend your valuable time to reply to my post if you know you can help me.

Thanks,
Ajanth.

EBKame

10+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2004
Northeast
Status
Attending Physician
Ajanth,
all of this is described on Sackler's website. You will find a detailed description of the finances and the minimum requirements for acceptance. Hope this helps.

Katie228

10+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2004
Status
If you want to get licensed in Israel, the only school that lets you get directly licensed in both the US and Israel is the Technion. Sackler basically forces you to come back to the US.

airrun21

10+ Year Member
May 1, 2005
California
Status
Exactly how hard is it to get into an Israeli medical school? Could someone theoretically get rejected from all the US medical schools they applied to but still get into an Israeli medical school? I was looking in a book from US News and World Report and the listed acceptance rates were Ben Gurion ~46%, Touro/Technion ~70%, and Sackler ~50%, if I remember correctly. This makes it seems a great deal easier to get into an Israeli school than any US medical school. Do only really really good applicants apply to Israeli med schools?

Happy613

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 9, 2003
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
airrun21 said:
Exactly how hard is it to get into an Israeli medical school? Could someone theoretically get rejected from all the US medical schools they applied to but still get into an Israeli medical school? I was looking in a book from US News and World Report and the listed acceptance rates were Ben Gurion ~46%, Touro/Technion ~70%, and Sackler ~50%, if I remember correctly. This makes it seems a great deal easier to get into an Israeli school than any US medical school. Do only really really good applicants apply to Israeli med schools?
I am a second year at NJMS, and I applied to Israeli medical schools. I found that the requirments were a bit easier than US MD schools but not by much. (granted I was looking at Sackler during the height of the Intifada).
My take on it was they were about as hard to get into as most DO schools (that is slightly lower avergae mcat and gpa).

That being said, now as a medical student I have yet to meet a Sackler grad who is not in a competitive residency. While I have only met a few, it seems that at least in the New York-New Jersey area these students are very competitive with US grads for residency positions.

However, I know that Israeli schools often like interesting and unique applicants so I defintley think it is worth applying.

-good luck