issues scheduling 4th yr

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medadviceseeker

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I love the advice that is given on this site, so I'm hoping you guys can help me out with some issues I'm having regarding 4th year and applying for residency.

I'm currently a 3rd yr student, and have struggled throughout my rotations. I ended up having to delay some core requirements into 4th year (hard rotation), which means I technically won't be "done" with 3rd yr until the end of August. I REALLY want to graduate on time with a residency. I'm not looking to get matched to an amazing residency. I just want to get an average internal med residency.

When would be the best time to schedule step 2CK? Realistically, I will not have any time off until the end of August. I haven't scheduled my 4th yr yet, and will decide when to take time off to study for step 2 based on what you guys recommend. I didn't do well on step 1 (200-210 range), and would ideally like residency programs to see my step 2 score. How long would you recommend studying for step 2? When is the absolute latest I can take it and still be able to show residency programs? Can I hold my application until my scores come in or is that not recommended?

Lastly, when would be the best time to take sub-Is? I know people use those rotations for LORs, but considering the earliest I can take a sub-I is in sept, I doubt I could even get a LOR. In light of that, would you recommend taking time off to study for step 2 first, or would you still recommend taking a sub-I early in 4th year?

I know I asked a lot of questions, and I appreciate you guys taking the time out to read (and hopefully give feedback). I also know my situation sounds iffy, but I'm REALLY determined to make this work. Pleeeease help me by giving me constructive feedback! Thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,
I love the advice that is given on this site, so I'm hoping you guys can help me out with some issues I'm having regarding 4th year and applying for residency.

I'm currently a 3rd yr student, and have struggled throughout my rotations. I ended up having to delay some core requirements into 4th year (hard rotation), which means I technically won't be "done" with 3rd yr until the end of August. I REALLY want to graduate on time with a residency. I'm not looking to get matched to an amazing residency. I just want to get an average internal med residency.

When would be the best time to schedule step 2CK? Realistically, I will not have any time off until the end of August. I haven't scheduled my 4th yr yet, and will decide when to take time off to study for step 2 based on what you guys recommend. I didn't do well on step 1 (200-210 range), and would ideally like residency programs to see my step 2 score. How long would you recommend studying for step 2? When is the absolute latest I can take it and still be able to show residency programs? Can I hold my application until my scores come in or is that not recommended?

Lastly, when would be the best time to take sub-Is? I know people use those rotations for LORs, but considering the earliest I can take a sub-I is in sept, I doubt I could even get a LOR. In light of that, would you recommend taking time off to study for step 2 first, or would you still recommend taking a sub-I early in 4th year?

I know I asked a lot of questions, and I appreciate you guys taking the time out to read (and hopefully give feedback). I also know my situation sounds iffy, but I'm REALLY determined to make this work. Pleeeease help me by giving me constructive feedback! Thanks a lot!

First of all, you need to talk to a dean or an adviser at your school who can analyze all your information and give you realistic advice.

At my school you would not even be able to fit in all the fourth year reqs if you are starting in September, let alone take time off to study for step 2.

Unfortunately, given the info you have provided, you seem to be in a sticky situation.

It sounds like your options are

1. Complete M3 stuff, take September off to study for step 2, start M4 in October.

2. Complete M3 stuff, Do a sub-I in September, take a month off in Oct or Nov for step 2.

3. Complete M3 stuff, Do a Sub-I in September, don't take any time off and just study for step 2 during rotations.

Now given your history of struggling through rotations and a relatively low step 1 I would not recommend option 3.

The issue with options 1 and 2 is that I cannot imagine you will be able to complete all your fourth year requirements in that short a period of time, as I mentioned at my school you could not. If somehow you can, I would probably go with option 2 because getting letters takes time and I really think you need to have a sub-I before you apply. In IM, step 2 could probably wait a bit. I cannot stress enough though, you need to seek advice from either a dean or the IM adviser at your school.