ISU LOR question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VeganChick

Tufts University V'13
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I see that ISU requires one LOR be from a professor. They also only take 3 recommendations. I was hoping to have my three VMCAS refs be from vets and have a professor submit a paper evaluation. I called ISU today to see if they would take 2 electronic refs and one paper one, and the person who answered said that VMCAS was only accepting electronic ones this year. But that is not what VMCAS says on their site. So, my question is, does anyone know if I can have ISU take 2 e-refs and one paper one? I know that VMRCVM only reads three but lets you pick which three you want out of all of the ones you get.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
http://www.vetmed.iastate.edu/prospective_students/default.aspx?id=948

Im sure you've already checked this out but Iowa's website says;
Three electronic letters of recommendation are required to be submitted through VMCAS. The applicant is strongly encouraged to have at least one of these recommendations from a veterinarian. Other suggested evaluators include academic advisors or professors and employers. The evaluator should know the applicant well and be able to speak to their personal characteristics and attributes. It is preferred that the evaluator include comments or a letter with the form evaluation. A letter can be composed in the comments section of the VMCAS electronic letter of evaluation. Evaluators cannot be related to the applicant by blood or marriage. Only three (3) letters of recommendation will be accepted.

I dont see where it says you have to have a professor in those 3? Maybe I missed it. This is also for the 2008 entering class. Perhaps they changed it and obviously havent updated their site. Bad Bad vet school. :p

That's because I am not paying attention to what I am writing...I meant Illinois, not Iowa :oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
When I applied (class of 2011) Illinois would not read any LORs other than the electronic ones. I would call them and check.

It's true. Illinois (UIUC by the way) ONLY takes eLORs from VMCAS. The page for Illinois through the aavmc, also states that they accept electronic applications. It does not mention paper submissions at all.

It's true. Illinois (UIUC by the way) ONLY takes eLORs from VMCAS. The page for Illinois through the aavmc, also states that they accept electronic applications. It does not mention paper submissions at all.

Really? Is this new? I know 2 of my LOR's were electronic and one was a composite AND committee letter and thus HAD to be done via paper. I am 100 percent sure of this as it was such a big issue i couldn't apply to CSU because they only accept electronic and composite/committee letters can ONLY be done by paper. Now i know that these were the 3 listed on my VMCAS and none were additional ones sent in by me. But it didnt seem to be a problem as I am headed there in August! However, they will not accept 2/3 electronic ones and then a paper one not listed on vmcas.

That's because I am not paying attention to what I am writing...I meant Illinois, not Iowa :oops:

Alrightly then. I didnt see the thread title that said UIUC either. (Duh!)

http://www.cvm.uiuc.edu/asa/brochure/03.html

UIUC says..

Letters of evaluation must be sent directly to VMCAS by October 2,2008 noon EDT. We will only accept three letters from the evaluators listed on your VMCAS application.

It might be worth calling them though, since the point made about the composite reference is an interesting conundrum. I bet they didnt even think of that. I realize this is not your angle, but perhaps it might open the door to revisiting their "no paper" rule. Good luck.