ISUP..... What happened?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vicinal

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who's got the dirt on ISUP and why they were denied access to USCAP this year? Spill it.

Members don't see this ad.

How can deny someone access to USCAP? Like they were blacklisted from attending? Or putting up a both or what?

Do you have a link?

Members don't see this ad :)

Okay, this is literally beyond the pale now. Am to understand that College of American Pathologists has literally jettisoned the entire subspeciality of Urologic Pathology over "heated rhetoric"??

I knew we were sort of slowly spiraling the drain, but this is a new low.

The ISUP was founded by Leopold Koss, a legend. This would be the equivalent of the pope ordering the Cathedral at Cologne to be torched. It makes no sense.

I’m told by a USCAP exec comm member, although I’m not a GU pathologist or even remotely in the know (so this qualifies as hearsay and is certainly unreliable) that the bulk of this blowup was over founding members of the ISUP not wanting to relinquish control over the society to newer members which apparently created a number of heated exchanges resulting in USCAP effectively saying “go sort yourself out and come back when you get it together.” How accurate that is I don’t know, but from a distance (and non-GU pathologist) it seems a bit silly. I suspect there is more to it.

Okay, this is literally beyond the pale now. Am to understand that College of American Pathologists has literally jettisoned the entire subspeciality of Urologic Pathology over "heated rhetoric"??

I knew we were sort of slowly spiraling the drain, but this is a new low.

The ISUP was founded by Leopold Koss, a legend. This would be the equivalent of the pope ordering the Cathedral at Cologne to be torched. It makes no sense.

I’m told by a USCAP exec comm member, although I’m not a GU pathologist or even remotely in the know (so this qualifies as hearsay and is certainly unreliable) that the bulk of this blowup was over founding members of the ISUP not wanting to relinquish control over the society to newer members which apparently created a number of heated exchanges resulting in USCAP effectively saying “go sort yourself out and come back when you get it together.” How accurate that is I don’t know, but from a distance (and non-GU pathologist) it seems a bit silly. I suspect there is more to it.
This does not make that much sense. Membership seems very egalitarian when you look at the site. Its not like GIPS. Lots of politics, personalities, and psychopathology in pathology.....unfortunate. Grignon, Eble, and others are awesome human beings and educators. No idea what the real issues are.

Membership may be egalitarian but maybe control isn't? ISUP leadership keeps resigning. I don't know what's really going on. The president's letter refers to some sort of threats of disruption and such. I don't think USCAP can do much about it except cancel. It's disappointing. I don't think any individuals were banned (although who knows), it was just the companion society activities that were cancelled - other GU stuff went on as normal and there weren't any significant arguments or problems (except for a too-small room initially for platforms, which was pretty quickly addressed).

To me it is a very strange situation. I can understand disagreements but not making things personal or threatening. Maybe a step back will prove fruitful. I think ISUP has made an effort in the past few years (from what I can tell) to get more, younger voices involved. Maybe there is a battle behind the scenes for influence and control, I have no idea. I'm not important enough.