ITE/Basic Scores for Private Practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kevin Durant

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are these significant factors towards getting your foot in the door for good private practice jobs if one isn't planning on pursing a fellowship? Or is a pass really all that is needed.

Members don't see this ad.

No one cares about your scores.

You know what they care about? Is this guy a good guy who is a team player and can get things done? Will he get along with the surgeons and staff? etc. etc.

Reactions: 11 users
There are people out there would only hire name brand residents. some place starts with few partners from one school, then only hire from that school.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
We all have a good laugh if they include them in the resume. That is the extent that we look at them.

Ok, maybe that isn’t fully true.
I was impressed that someone said he was in the top 10 nationally, but it really didn’t change the fact he was a bit douchey on the interview.

Reactions: 1 user
What a silly question

I don't think so. The rat race that modern day medicine has become has turned out weak willed yes men who can only take a test competently while kow towing to everyone from administration to mid levels. There is a certain obsession with more and more useless testing as an obvious money grab by an assortment of corporate shills under the guise of patient safety.

Reactions: 6 users
Way more important is when I call your references and ask if you are a problem solver or problem maker??? They immediately reply with the answer I am looking for.

Reactions: 1 user
I would view high scores positively as it demonstrates both that the person was intelligent and put in the work to learn the material. Intelligence and work ethic are desirable characteristics. The amount of weight I'd put on the scores in my decision would be low, but I'd still consider it a positive.

Full disclosure: I am biased as I am a high scorer myself.

Reactions: 1 users
Here is another question: Does anyone in private practice care about non-anesthesiology related research someone published in med school, or poster presentations? I've seen lots of **** I don't care about on people's CV's.

Especially with the BASIC exam i wouldn't worry. The ABA makes it pretty much impossible for folks to see your attempts at this exam (it's even a challenge for program directors to monitor folks in their own programs). The only time it matters is for graduation (as in the ABA prohibits graduation if you don't pass the exam during residency, and failing the test more than twice during residency puts you at risk for delayed graduation)

No. When we look at CVs, we want to know that you were competent enough to pass, but GOOD enough to make good clinical decisions while in the OR, while getting along with partners/surgeons/colleagues/nurses, etc.
Have seen plenty come and go who had great scores but couldn't translate book knowledge into common sense clinical application. There is a world of difference, especially in PP.

I had stellar exam scores and went into private practice. I knew that a good exam score didn't really translate well to somebody being clinically good and even less so having a compatible personality, but I decided to include the scores on my CV because I figured it wouldn't hurt to show that I took the academics seriously and didn't slack off learning things in residency. I distinctly remember my interviewer looking at my CV with all his notes on it and seeing a bracket around the exam section with an arrow pointing to one word: "PASSED". They don't care really lol