Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

It's Done, my friends.

Discussion in 'General Residency Issues' started by res-2007, Mar 9, 2007.

1. res-2007

2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    I think they ran the match this morning.
    This a.m. NRMP, ERAS and findaresident websites were all off line for 2 plus hours. Now they are all back.

So the dye is cast
    Relax
    It's done

2. Auscultate

2+ Year Member

Actually, they first ran it on the morning of Feb 22. Remember the "down time" on the NRMP site that morning after ROLs were due? So the did has been cast for over 2 weeks now

3. Apollyon

Apollyon Screw the GST
    Physician Lifetime Donor Verified Expert Verified Account 15+ Year Member

What color?

The Latin quote attributed to Caesar was "Alea iacta est" - "the die is cast". This "die" is not like the pattern that iron, say, is poured into and then stamped. It's the singular of "dice". And, as you may deduce, the "iacta" is the past participle of a root word that forms the basis for "ejaculate" (which literally means "to throw or cast out").

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. OP
    OP
    res-2007

2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Caesar or no Caesar, the most common American usage is: the dye is cast.
    I happen to think that's most pertinent since this is a USMLE forum.

Butt, you are certainly entitled to your opinion. :)

5. OldPsychDoc

OldPsychDoc Senior Curmudgeon
    Physician Moderator Emeritus Verified Expert 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Sorry--it's the die that is cast, in Rome or in the good ol' USA.

And while we're battling about usage, dear residents and soon-to-be residents, Hear this:
    regiment is a military unit.
    regime is a dynasty, a period of rule, and
    regimen is the term for a protocol of medications that the patient is currently following.

Please try to get this right in your notes...maybe you can even teach this to a few attendings.

Thank you. Sorry for the hijack--you may now return to your pre-match anxiety.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Doc Ivy

Doc Ivy Miss Understood
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]

So, back to the matter at hand...

Do you think schools are aware of the match results?? I just got and email this am from my Dean asking if I would be willing to have a reporter follow me around on Match Day. Unless they're making some sort of sadistic tragidocumentary "The Ides of Match", I think I may be in store for good news next week :eek: Oh why can't it be the 15th already

7. Geri_Gal

Geri_Gal Loving Life
    2+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I was told by my dean that schools learn the Match results on Wednesday, March 14th. You are probably such a wonderful student that your school is confident you will match very well on Thursday!

8. Adcadet

Adcadet Long way from Gate 27
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    What makes you think that the web server has anything to do with the hardware and software that actually runs the algorithm? Given the very different requirements to run a web server and to run a computationally intensive application, I would definitely not use the same hardware for both.

9. Entei

7+ Year Member

Exactly. Which is also another reason why that "NRMP trick" that has been floating around the past few days/weeks is completely bogus.

And I personaly think that "the DIE was cast" back in February. (Just freaking Google it, jeez.) How would you even cast a dye? Like, are you literally throwing dye at things to cover them in pretty colors?

10. colbgw02

colbgw02 Delightfully Tacky
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I think most "scholars", whoever they are, believe that Caesar would have spoken the words in Greek, not Latin, since patrician Romans had a love for all things Greek to include the language. Plutarch wrote that he probably said "anerriphtho kubos". Your etymology lesson is interesting, but likely irrelevant.

11. OP
    OP
    res-2007

2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    I wrote DYE and it will stay DYE.

You folks want to freak out and spend your time nitpicking, so be it.

12. Samoa

Physician Pharmacist 10+ Year Member

The people here were just trying to help you look educated. If you don't want to, that's up to you.

13. Geri_Gal

Geri_Gal Loving Life
    2+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    NERDS!!!!!

(I couldn't resist):laugh:

Attached Files:

14. Apollyon

Apollyon Screw the GST
    Physician Lifetime Donor Verified Expert Verified Account 15+ Year Member

I'm a Latin-phile (if I say "latino-phile or latina-phile", that conveys the wrong image). As I said, it has be attributed to Caesar - I can't speak to the veracity. The etymology lesson stands up, even if it's translated from Greek to Latin. I mean, Plutarch wrote that he probably said...

How old are you? You misuse a quote, and steadfastly stand by being wrong. As Samoa said, you were offered assistance. If you choose not to take it, that is totally on you.

As attributed to Mark Twain (which, in itself, is also gravely in doubt as to origin): "Better to be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt."

15. yaah

yaah Boring
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Verified Expert 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Maybe he's the president. ;)

I think they run the match algorithm many many times over the course of the time between submission and actual match day. Checks, rechecks, etc, lots of bugs to work out and make sure everything is all appropriate when it comes to the big day.

16. Samoa

Physician Pharmacist 10+ Year Member

Seriously. If I were Bush Sr., I'd be asking Yale for my money back.

17. Dock In A Box

2+ Year Member

for the degree back.