It's good when its over

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JohnB79

The Dragon Reborn
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just to let all you who are gearing up fro the MCAT this year. Its a good feeling once that hurdle is passed and you no longer have to worry about taking the MCAT. It's as if you're free (until waiting to hear back from schools comes around) and then spring semester of senior year you can finally go out to the bars and have some fun So don't think there is no light at the end of the tunnel there is and its glorious good luck on the MCAT

Members don't see this ad.

or have already graduated and still have to take this exam *sigh*

JohnB79 said:
Just to let all you who are gearing up fro the MCAT this year. Its a good feeling once that hurdle is passed and you no longer have to worry about taking the MCAT. It's as if you're free (until waiting to hear back from schools comes around) and then spring semester of senior year you can finally go out to the bars and have some fun So don't think there is no light at the end of the tunnel there is and its glorious good luck on the MCAT

thanks JB! this is something to look forward to. then comes the stress of the dreaded personal statement and the interviews...

:eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
The whole personal statement thing I would suggest everyone and then when you are thinking (hard to imagine I know) look at your life and figure out what you want to convey to the ad-com, and just write it down and store it away. Now remember this though these are med schools who get 1000's of PS's that all say "I want to be a doctor because" or something similar so when you write your PS try and give it a slightly different slant than the typical crap.

Don't worry about interviews until you get them... otherwise your Senior year you'll be eaten up by whats going to happen apply for safety schools in the Carib such as SGU or AUC, just incase. I mean if this is what you want to do with your life then do what ever it takes. I'm still waiting to hear back from a few schools but I've been accepted to AUC in the carib so no matter what I'll be a physician. It's all about how much dedication you have to the cause, to your future.

I know of at least two premeds one who went to brown and didn't get in on the first time applying and is on the second time around and has already gotten rejection letters. So they are throwing in the towel and this person is at Drexel doing a post bac. Another who didn't do so hot is giving up on the med profession all together and doesn't know what to do with their life now.

I'll tell you what I told them, think about it really hard if you get to that point where you feel it isn't going to pan out and if you can truly believe that in 20 years you'll be content knowing that you did all that you could to go to med school then more power to you but if you don't make it in to a US school and know that you'll always wonder what if then try a different approach to obtaining your goal such as going to the carib, aussie, DO, etc. Don't let up, don't give up. Never surrender your dreams, goals and aspirations because if you do then your only giving up on your self and you should never give up on your self.

One more thing.... hold your self to a higher standard, no one in your life will ever expect more from you than you your self does. Only you have the power to push though the thick heavy oppressive darkness that is the application process. Just look back since you entered college, how many people do you know started college wanting to go to Med school, how many have gotten to this point to take the MCAT and how many have fallen by the wayside? If you stumble and you fall then drag yourself by your finger nails to the objective. In the end I think it'll be worth it, and don't mind the gunners, their just pompous A$$holes who never had real friends so they must show off to the world that they are good enough.

<off soapbox>

JohnB79 said:
Never surrender your dreams, goals and aspirations because if you do then your only giving up on your self and you should never give up on your self.

One more thing.... hold your self to a higher standard, no one in your life will ever expect more from you than you your self does.

If you stumble and you fall then drag yourself by your finger nails to the objective. <off soapbox>

The best advice that has been given on this board in a long time. Nut up, take this guys advice and the world will be callin' you doc in a few years.

'Rambler

Good stuff JohnB....and what the hell is all of this soapbox crap? I keep on seeing that but I have no idea what it means!!!

VPDcurt said:
Good stuff JohnB....and what the hell is all of this soapbox crap? I keep on seeing that but I have no idea what it means!!!

The soap box is a term from yesteryear when people would stand upon a soapbox to deliver their message regardless if others wanted to hear it or not. I forgot where I first heard the term but it goes back to the 1st half of the last century.

BTW if anyone has anything specific to ask me by all means PM me... and I'll get back to you