Not open for further replies.

SuperTrooper

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2005
www.freeloadmp3.com
Status
Why does every single person in the dental forums call it UPenn? It's just so wrong.. argh!! Even people that go to the school don't know what's right! Sprgrover, change your signature man! :)

tinman831

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Dec 11, 2004
Texas
Status
Dentist
SuperTrooper said:
Why does every single person in the dental forums call it UPenn? It's just so wrong.. argh!! Even people that go to the school don't know what's right! Sprgrover, change your signature man! :)

Even their website refers to the school as "University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine"

http://www.dental.upenn.edu/patients/dcn/dcn.html

;)

INFNITE

mmm....doughnut
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 12, 2005
NY
Status
Dental Student
notice: it's dental.upenn.edu not dental.penn.edu

About the Ads

sumozmom

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 31, 2005
Las Vegas
Status
Medical Student
BUT amongst students it is reffered to as PENN

SuperTrooper

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2005
www.freeloadmp3.com
Status
tinman831 said:
Even their website refers to the school as "University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine"

http://www.dental.upenn.edu/patients/dcn/dcn.html

;)
I'm not sure what you're saying here.

I'm not talking about the dental school in particular. I'm talking about the whole school. If you're trying to abbreviate the University of Pennsylvania, you say Penn!!

INFNITE

mmm....doughnut
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 12, 2005
NY
Status
Dental Student
The problem is, there's another Penn, which is Penn State. It's like BU (Boston University) and BC (Boston College). You're not gonna call BU Boston because that would be confusing. Also...Penn could refer to the state of Pennsylvania. Are you gonna call New York University NY or New York? no, because that would be confusing. Thats the point of the U.

Audio

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Toronto
Status
www.[B]U[/B]penn.........

anyways, it's not a big enough deal to start a thread over. And also, you seem to be wrong. Penn is the abbrev. for the state...UPenn refers to the university of penn. Just stating Penn...could mean Penn State :D Either way, who cares. Sometimes you can call it Penn, sometimes UPenn. Whatever floats your boat!

SuperTrooper

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2005
www.freeloadmp3.com
Status
Audio said:
Either way, who cares. Sometimes you can call it Penn, sometimes UPenn. Whatever floats your boat!
Sure, do whatever you want i guess. If you end up attending penn though, and go to a penn party, just don't go around calling it upenn cause you're gonna look like a total jackass.

SuperTrooper

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2005
www.freeloadmp3.com
Status
INFNITE said:
The problem is, there's another Penn, which is Penn State. It's like BU (Boston University) and BC (Boston College). You're not gonna call BU Boston because that would be confusing. Also...Penn could refer to the state of Pennsylvania. Are you gonna call New York University NY or New York? no, because that would be confusing. Thats the point of the U.
Yeah, well that's why you call Pennsylvania State University -> Penn State. You just did it, wasn't that hard was it? "UPenn" probably got the monopoly on "Penn" cause it's like one of the oldest schools in the US, and Penn State is probably pretty new.

INFNITE said:
Also...Penn could refer to the state of Pennsylvania.
Oh lord.

Audio

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Toronto
Status
SuperTrooper said:
Sure, do whatever you want i guess. If you end up attending penn though, and go to a penn party, just don't go around calling it upenn cause you're gonna look like a total jackass.

or, I could just say I'm from Vermont :D

Sprgrover

Pulped out Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2004
Philadelphia, PA
Status
SuperTrooper said:

www.dental.upenn.edu.....

It can be called either or, and the school uses both versions. Usually the professional schools use Penn (e.g. PennDental, PennMed, etc.). Check the address for the image and you'll see what I mean. The name Penn is associated with other schools and organizations around Pennsylvania and sometimes its easier to avoid confusion and just use UPenn. For me, when it comes down to it, I really don't care.

About the Ads

netsn06

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2004
Status
SuperTrooper said:
Yeah, well that's why you call Pennsylvania State University -> Penn State. You just did it, wasn't that hard was it? "UPenn" probably got the monopoly on "Penn" cause it's like one of the oldest schools in the US, and Penn State is probably pretty new.

Oh lord.
i went there for 4 years. yes we do call it penn. it's like berkeley people saying they go to cal, even tho there r other uc's. but for us, if u tell people where u go to school, the conversation doubles in length: i go to penn. penn state? no upenn.
so sometimes we just say upenn when we dont feel like talking much.

ysk

10+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2005
Status
netsn06 said:
i went there for 4 years. yes we do call it penn. it's like berkeley people saying they go to cal, even tho there r other uc's. but for us, if u tell people where u go to school, the conversation doubles in length: i go to penn. penn state? no upenn.
yea exactly, i went there for undergrad too.. most everyone here calls it penn but everyone outside of the school seems to know it and refer to it as upenn. hence, we sometimes refer to it as upenn just to avoid confusion.

swanlake

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 29, 2005
Status
Pre-Dental
SuperTrooper said:

I don't know why this thread is still running...
Think about this...
1. When you open your practice, would you call your practice "Penn or UPenn Johndo's dentistry?" You will never mention your school...
2. When a new patient comes, would you say "I'm Johndon, Penn or UPenn class of 2010." NO way....

None of your patients will really care about your school name. Also, if you are in a dental meeting, you can say "Penn dental" b/c we all know Penn State doesn't have a dental school.

:idea:

polarnut

10+ Year Member
Nov 11, 2004
Los Angeles
Status
one of the more pointless threads on the forum. however, i am amused by how a trivial thing like this bugs someone so much.

INFNITE

mmm....doughnut
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 12, 2005
NY
Status
Dental Student
do you guys who attend UPenn call it Upenn before you attended there? or have you always called it Penn?

SuperTrooper

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2005
www.freeloadmp3.com
Status
netsn06 said:
it's like berkeley people saying they go to cal, even tho there r other uc's.
That's ridiculous!! :laugh: It's different in this situation cause there's only two with Pennsylvania in it, and one is private, the other public.

netsn06 said:
but for us, if u tell people where u go to school, the conversation doubles in length: i go to penn. penn state? no upenn.
Yeah, well i guess it bothers me cause we're on a dental forum and penn state doesn't have a dental school.

SuperTrooper

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2005
www.freeloadmp3.com
Status
swanlake said:
I don't know why this thread is still running...
Think about this...
1. When you open your practice, would you call your practice "Penn or UPenn Johndo's dentistry?" You will never mention your school...
2. When a new patient comes, would you say "I'm Johndon, Penn or UPenn class of 2010." NO way....

None of your patients will really care about your school name. Also, if you are in a dental meeting, you can say "Penn dental" b/c we all know Penn State doesn't have a dental school.

:idea:
This has nothin' to do with patients, or dentistry. I guess I've just always been proud of my schools, my alma maters, and it seems like calling it upenn is mildly "not so cool."

:laugh: Anyhow, it's no big deal. I just woke up this morning at like 5 and couldn't get back to sleep, that's why i started this pointless thread. Now let's all ignore it and it will fall into the nether-regions of old thread pages. ;) :)

Audio

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Toronto
Status
SuperTrooper said:
This has nothin' to do with patients, or dentistry. I guess I've just always been proud of my schools, my alma maters, and it seems like calling it upenn is mildly "not so cool."

:laugh: Anyhow, it's no big deal. I just woke up this morning at like 5 and couldn't get back to sleep, that's why i started this pointless thread. Now let's all ignore it and it will fall into the nether-regions of old thread pages. ;) :)

bump :D

INFNITE

mmm....doughnut
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 12, 2005
NY
Status
Dental Student
for those of you who are going to Upenn next year, you should intentionally call it Upenn to annoy the upperclassmen lol

INFNITE

mmm....doughnut
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 12, 2005
NY
Status
Dental Student
this thread should be made a sticky

tinman831

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Dec 11, 2004
Texas
Status
Dentist
INFNITE said:
for those of you who are going to Upenn next year, you should intentionally call it Upenn to annoy the upperclassmen lol
would we really be annoying the upperclassmen, or just super trooper? :D

vandy_yankee, i was totally expecting something else out of your avatar. hilarious! :laugh:

darius99

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 31, 2005
Status
Dental Student
i have never in my life heard anyone say "penn" unless it was in the context "upenn" or "penn state".... seeing as the respective schools are the University of Pennsylvania and Penn State, hence upenn and penn state :idea:

Status
Not open for further replies.
About the Ads