It's quiet in here

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They were banned, and the thread was locked. I think it was warranted. Bigotry, a tasteless joke about a bomb, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

They were banned, and the thread was locked. I think it was warranted. Bigotry, a tasteless joke about a bomb, etc.

Agreed. The focus seemed to be more about offending and provoking others than having a discussion.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ill add to the discussion:

Who watches Madmen? What do we think about computers driving us all insane? lol. Social Commentary too, perhaps? Its also a good show to breakdown and analyze for symbolism, hidden meanings, interpersonal relations, etc.

I started watching it...got through almost the first season and switched to Royal Pains. I'm not a fan of the show's (Mad Men) perspective, I suppose that is what turned me away. I wonder if there is such thing as a concierge psychologist in The Hamptons...I was going to settle for setting up a private practice in Key West, but I think I may see a better market :p

The shows perspective is the reality of flawed human development and relationships. It just so happens to take place in NYC and in the 60s. Thats just scenery.

The shows perspective is the reality of flawed human development and relationships. It just so happens to take place in NYC and in the 60s. Thats just scenery.

Possibly, but it takes on too much of that "libertarian" perspective for my tastes :p. Not sure if that show is representative of "flawed humans"...rather one perspective. That's just the liberal sociological-side of me. At any rate, I really do like House of Cards. I have been spending the first portion of my summer break Netflix bingeing and "trying" to focus on this literature review for this new manuscript I am assisting with.

Last edited:
Well, We are all flawed humans, by our very nature, so pick your perspective. Doesn't really matter.

I don't think there is doubt that the show is indeed about the existential identity question and how that universal crisis plays out in interpersonal relationships. You just watched the first season, remember.

Does it get better? It took me 5 episodes to really warm up to it.

Members don't see this ad :)
nm MM is a great show

Last edited:
I am really liking Royal Pains...I want to be a concierge neuropsychologist now :p

One of my favorite new shows is Silicon Valley.

IMG_00001922.jpg
I agree. I miss Dr. White.

I'm patiently waiting for the next season of HoC. We've been watching older Kevin Spacey flicks just to get a taste of his raw powerful acting & intrigue. Who would've thought politics could be so sexy (excluding all these daft NY politicians and their escapades, i.e., Weiner, Spitzer, etc)?! Not me. But HoC has given it all renewed interest for me.
I'm not claiming it is better than BB (one of my all-time fav. shows), though compared to currently running shows…HoC is way up there.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, I can't wait for a new HoC either, I hope they bring back BB (I heard they might). I need to catch up on my Game of Thrones.

Anyone watching Season 2 of OITNB? No spoilers please, I'm about 1/2 way through. Not sure if I like it as much as season 1 yet.

Finished season 2 the other day. I felt the same, that I liked season 1 a little bit better. But I would still recommend watching the rest of season 2.

Yeah, I can't wait for a new HoC either, I hope they bring back BB (I heard they might). I need to catch up on my Game of Thrones.

By BB, do you mean Breaking Bad?? Are you referring to the spin off? And yes, you need to catch up on GOT real quick, because spoilers are everywhere! When you say catch up, do you mean like you are on Season 3, or you just haven't watched the most recent episode?

I just watched the first episode of OITNB S2 last night…..I'm cautiously optimistic. I really liked the supporting cast from S1, so I'm interested to see the casting for S2. I'm not a huge fan of the main character, but she is good enough to facilitate the story arc(s).

Reactions: 1 users
The season I ended on...like 2 years ago was when the ice monsters were finally being revealed in the last episode of that season.

NO NBA fans in this profession??? come ON guys GOOO SPUUUUUUUURS

The season I ended on...like 2 years ago was when the ice monsters were finally being revealed in the last episode of that season.

You are behind!! ;) There is a LOT of good stuff in the last two seasons, I can't get enough of this show. I have read the first book, and want to read more when I have the time, there is so much background info in the books that you can't get from the show.

So, uh, anyone have an HBOGo account that they want to share with me to catch up on GoT?
Are we allowed to post links to streaming sites on here. I don't have cable or anything and I watch TV on a website that has streaming links to any show imaginable, usually a little earlier than they come on normal TV even (I'm on the West Coast). I can PM it to you or just post it here if it's allowed.

Well, I just finished all of GOT season 3 in one day (not sure if this is a good or bad thing :p)...just started season 4, so far it's decent, a lot of talking and not enough action in my opinion. I'm hoping some good battle scenes are coming up. I'm anticipating the creatures from the north to finally attack as well as the invasion from across the Narrow Sea.

Well, I just finished all of GOT season 3 in one day (not sure if this is a good or bad thing :p)...just started season 4, so far it's decent, a lot of talking and not enough action in my opinion. I'm hoping some good battle scenes are coming up. I'm anticipating the creatures from the north to finally attack as well as the invasion from across the Narrow Sea.

There is a LOT of action in Season 4!! You will see...and since you finished Season 3, you saw the RW??

Yes, the Red Wedding...the Starks are totally getting the ****ty end of the deal in this whole show.

Other houses start getting more crap later on, don't worry.

Reactions: 1 users
Other houses start getting more crap later on, don't worry.

Cara, your avatar photo of Roger is my fav. episode of American Dad. Between that episode and the Geico commercial with the drill sergeant as a therapist, my parents are convinced I may end up like the "House" of psychologists :p. Of course, I wouldn't ethically practice like that ;).

Cara, your avatar photo of Roger is my fav. episode of American Dad. Between that episode and the Geico commercial with the drill sergeant as a therapist, my parents are convinced I may end up like the "House" of psychologists :p. Of course, I wouldn't ethically practice like that ;).

I'm glad that there's another Dr. Penguin fan around here!

I also love when he's leading a substance abuse group and he says, "I myself have had issues with substance abuse. And this gig gives me enough money to continue having them."

Reactions: 4 users
I'm glad that there's another Dr. Penguin fan around here!

I also love when he's leading a substance abuse group and he says, "I myself have had issues with substance abuse. And this gig gives me enough money to continue having them."

I think I've found my dissertation topic! Who could let such a promising therapy go unresearched? ;)

Not that it's been quiet in here lately, but...

SDN comes through for me once more! I am on an OITNB marathon! I love it...and it's based on the real life experiences of Piper Kerman. I sure wish my dissertation or upcoming internships called for more attention, but we all need our downtime and mine is filled with a bunch of orange and khaki suit wearing felons. ;)

Thanks folks!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users