Its sad but we may have to go back to the dark side: dermboard.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ihatethisproces

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

dumb idea

it worked well, i'm staying here on SDN

that being said, if you're the kind of person who has to hide behind the veil of anonymity to slander people and make immature remarks, dermboard is awesome! head thataways!

What I think is kind of sad is how scared people are. I wonder if this type of thing pertains only to dermatology because its a small field or if other specialties feel the same way. I'll admit that I have held back quite a bit about where my interviews were at and what I thought of them, what my number 1 is, ect. I'm not sure why I do that.

Members don't see this ad :)
How do you even get to Dermboard? I've never looked at any of these pages really.

http://dermatology.yuku.com/

its actually kind of fun if you have never been there. I used to comb through it when i was a 2nd year and 3rd year. It can be intimidating because there are several posts about people not getting in despite having 270, AOA, phd or something crazy like that. Sometimes I go there to search about a program and see what people have said in the past about each one.
Take it all with grain of salt, of course.

The problem is that you need a username to post at dermboard. And it's a spammer type site - sets off my antivirus software like mad.

What irritated me about dermboard is that the administrators (a select group of two people, maybe three), were rolling in dough made off of our anxieties without even providing any site maintenance. They sold this stupid 3 page essay as "the definitive guide to derm applications" for $8 and ripped off all us neurotics (me included).*

Until everyone got sick of them profiting off nothing and moved over to SDN.

Now the one active administrator there is lamely trying to get everyone back to dermboard so she can get the cash cow going again by posting these ridiculously pointless and poorly-considered "tips" pretending that they are hot new threads on that dead board. But if you examine the forum hard enough, you'll realize that no one posts there anymore, and there's no action. Based on her posts, it's also obvious that she's not in touch with what's really going on now in the world of derm apps or academic derm. I wouldn't take her advice if I were an applicant.

I sure as hell am NOT going back to dermboard. No residents post there anymore. It sucks.

That offsite Google group "Dermforreal" can be the underbelly for applicants to vent if they really feel concerned that the specifics of what they say will expose them (I'm not promoting it--I didn't start it). At the same time, as soon as you vent about specifics, you can be traced even if you use a generic username.

I admit to venting like mad when I applied. I know the need.

* I've started my DermMatch's guide to applying in dermatology here at SDN -- it's further down on the threads. Best of all, it's free. I'm not done with it yet because I'm supposed to be studying for the inservice and so I plan on finishing it after I take the exam April 2.

Also, I will DEFINITELY be assembling the match list this year! And I'll do it a lot faster here at SDN than dermboard ever did. Just PM me the info when the time comes.

Last edited by a moderator:
See. That's why I'm staying here.

The GoogleGroups thing will die out soon too. Might as well stay with what's tried and true. :)