IU v Yale

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gogetter898

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
obviously IU is in-state and Yale is, well, Yale. I ask because I do not qualify for any significant financial aid so would have to take loans. Additionally, I have hard that IU also has a very good reputation, while not comparably entirely to an Ivy, is competitive.

curious as to whether going to Yale would significantly alter my career path moving forward. goal is to get into a competitive specialty in California some day.

Members don't see this ad.

So IU is undoubtedly a great school, but Yale also does carry a higher prestige/name brand recognition. It will likely be easier for you to match in California (and match better) coming out of Yale. But if Indiana's match list also shows consistent matches to California, then maybe it's not as big of a deal.

What would the full COA difference end up being? Without a clear financial picture, it's hard to say, as everyone has their cutoff threshold's for price.

IU's match list is mostly midwest-based. With a Yale MD, you can go anywhere. If COA isn't a factor, 100% go with Yale. Yale would get you into Cali specialties.

I would definitely take Yale, the opportunities there are unparalleled and the name and training stay with you forever. One thing to be careful about though is their unique curriculum. if you're not the type to be able to self study it might be hard