IUSM vs MUCOM

Started by scuba_cat
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

scuba_cat

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
First of all, I know what you're thinking - "DO vs MD, this is a no brainer!" Maybe I just need a slap in the face, but I'm truly torn about this.

I was accepted to MUCOM back in November, and since it is only 1 hour from my SO of 5 years (she is contractually bound to a post-doctoral research position), I was pretty on board with them and recently signed a lease for a house in Indianapolis. Just last week, I was accepted off the waitlist at IUSM, but they placed me at a satellite campus 4 hours away from my SO. There is a chance that I can move to another satellite campus in the town where my SO is, but that would be after the first 1 or 2 years. At this point in time, I'm not interested in non-DO friendly specialties - right now I'm thinking ER, anesthesiology, or ob/gyn, which are all pretty DO friendly.

So, pros and cons.

MUCOM
Pros:
  • There is something about the DO philosophy that really resonates with me. Though I know DOs and MDs clinical practice is like 99.9% the same, I think I would enjoy learning about osteopathy
  • I really liked the campus environment and had already been in contact with a lab on campus researching something I'm truly interested in
  • It's a newer school and I'd be able to spearhead some cool clubs (LGBTQ alliance, street med, wilderness medicine, etc.)
  • Located in Indianapolis - a large city with lots of teaching hospitals, and it has good ties with them, so I'd learn a lot
  • Much closer to my SO
  • Small, tight-knit community
Cons:
  • It's a newer school and not very well established yet
  • Though it sucks, there is still some prejudice about DOs that may hold me back if I later decide I want to go into a specialty that is more competitive. How this will play out in the coming years after the merger, I'm not sure. I also don't like the idea of taking both STEP and COMLEX
  • They're a graded system, not pass/fail
  • COA is ~75k

IUSM
Pros:
  • I was placed at a campus near Notre Dame, so research opportunities are abundant
  • Pass/fail system
  • COA is ~60k
  • As an MD, it will be less of an uphill battle if I decide to do something competitive
Cons:
  • 4 hours from my SO. She's said that she would drive to see me every weekend, but that doesn't seem very realistic, specially in winter months
  • Though research opportunities are abundant, I spent most of yesterday looking through the labs on campus and none of them spark an interest like the one at Marian
  • IUSM is huge - the biggest medical school in the country. I've heard a lot of people say that it is easy to get lost in the shuffle here.
Let me know what you guys think!