IV dilution questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Me_Gusta_Drugs

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does Ativan and Versed gtt's require light protection (ie. amber bag) AFTER being diluted (ie. just like lasix and nitroprusside IVPB's). I have this written down but can't find the answer on several different resources.

Also can you put Ativan and Nitroglycerin IV's in PVC-free bags...or do you have to use glass bottles. A couple pharmacists were giving conflicting advice about this.

Heres my light protect list of more common stuff of stuff thats not premixed.
• lasix (room temp), Versed, doxycycline, bactrim, Norepinephrine/epi/nipride, Vitamin K

Members don't see this ad.

I know non-pvc container but the question is glass vs non-pvc BAG
most the time u can use these bags but i was told by a certain pharmacist you must use the glass bottles for ntg and ativan

Members don't see this ad :)
I know non-pvc container but the question is glass vs non-pvc BAG
most the time u can use these bags but i was told by a certain pharmacist you must use the glass bottles for ntg and ativan

ativan can go in a non-pvc bag. the aviva bags work fine. we always put nitro in bottles.

At my hospital, we don't protect ativan nor versed from light. I think it might be longterm exposure to light that is the problem.

Does Ativan and Versed gtt's require light protection (ie. amber bag) AFTER being diluted (ie. just like lasix and nitroprusside IVPB's). I have this written down but can't find the answer on several different resources.

Also can you put Ativan and Nitroglycerin IV's in PVC-free bags...or do you have to use glass bottles. A couple pharmacists were giving conflicting advice about this.

Heres my light protect list of more common stuff of stuff thats not premixed.
• lasix (room temp), Versed, doxycycline, bactrim, Norepinephrine/epi/nipride, Vitamin K

Where I work, the only ones from that list that we consistently overwrap is nitroprusside, but we rarely see that; pretty much the only one I ever see on a day to day basis is Micafungin.

It definitely makes theoretical sense to overwrap considering that all of the above come in brown amps/vials, but yet premade syringes that we have are exposed to some light from being in the fridge or hanging or whatnot. Would definitely like to see a "real world" degredation test of a norepi syringe sitting under fluorescent light for a couple days.