IV verse Topical preintubation lodocaine??

Started by s204367
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

s204367

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'll look this up over the weekend, but I argued , half kiddingly with one of my colleagues the other day. I give most everyone 1-1.5 mg/kg iv lido just before the white stuff...He sprays topical lidoaine during laryngoscopy....anyway, i know absorption on the cords is almost as fast as iv...and my overall reason for giving it iv is to decrease the burn as well as i think faster systemic uptake to decrease cardiac responses and all that other good stuff.....I'm oin the OR now typing this on my cell..so excuse the shortness and typos( and don't lecture me on EMI)....love to hear your guys opinion......
 
s204367 said:
I'll look this up over the weekend, but I argued , half kiddingly with one of my colleagues the other day. I give most everyone 1-1.5 mg/kg iv lido just before the white stuff...He sprays topical lidoaine during laryngoscopy....anyway, i know absorption on the cords is almost as fast as iv...and my overall reason for giving it iv is to decrease the burn as well as i think faster systemic uptake to decrease cardiac responses and all that other good stuff.....I'm oin the OR now typing this on my cell..so excuse the shortness and typos( and don't lecture me on EMI)....love to hear your guys opinion......

IV works fine - We abandoned LTA's years ago.

Makes no sense to stare at the cords and spray them, then wait and ventilate another minute before putting the tube in. And if you spray them and immediately put the tube in, what's the point? What if you can't see the cords?

It won't help you later on either, since the topical will wear off pretty quickly.

And EMI from cells is pretty much a non-issue. Ever see a doc in the hospital without a cell phone? It doesn't happen. Even our neonatologists have them on constantly.