I've been accepted to a MD program!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Osakhomen

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been accepted into an OOS MD program and I'm super excited to know that I'll be going to Med School next year! But this program is not my top choice and in the email it states that I have one week after I receive my official acceptance letter in the mail to state my intent. I want to wait for other schools to see if I'd be accepted (As a Texas resident, I especially want to wait for the Texas Med Schools). Can I still accept this OOS MD program, and still be considered for other Med Schools?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
back in my day, you had until april or something to decide...I think by intent they just mean if you are seriously considering them and its not a binding decision

All schools you are accepted to will ask for a response within a short amount of time after accepting you. Some ask for a deposit, some don't. However, you don't have to choose just one until May 15th at the latest.

The financial aid packages from the schools IIRC come out sometime in April, so accept all those schools that make an offer, and then decide after looking over what each school provides. As someone said, you have until mid May to choose one school, however you can still continue to be on other school's wait lists (alternate lists) after that May date and if one or more of those schools eventually accepts you, you could still attend. It would be a nail-biter but if you are on your top choice's wait list, it might be worth it.

Not sure if this is very widespread, but Drexel's $100 deposit is no longer refundable according to their letter.
I hope it's not widespread, as AAMC "traffic rules" read:

7. Each school's acceptance deposit not exceed $100 and (except for EDP applicants) be refundable until May 15, April 30 for M.D.-Ph.D. applicants. If the applicant enrolls at the school, the school is encouraged to credit the deposit toward tuition.

Taken from: https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/recommendations/62826/policies_admissionofficers.html

Me too, I was a bit surprised. To their credit, the $100 will be credited to tuition if they end up matriculating. Maybe this is their way of discouraging people who already hold multiple other acceptances from keeping the spot until May?
Once the money is paid without the possibility of a refund, there is no incentive (besides pure altruism) to give up the spot prematurely if a more-preferred acceptance comes along. And while any early acceptee is forced to pay the deposit, not knowing if another acceptance will come along, a later acceptee will think twice about paying the (unrefundable) money if they have another option. So for most of the cycle, I think their policy will result in fewer paid commitments, faster movement through their list of desirable candidates, faster movement through waitlists, and less last-minute turnover in class composition. The system would be more efficient, if that is their goal, if they did not accept anyone until after Fall when many might already have been accepted elsewhere.

USC also has a non-refundable deposit these days.

Hey everyone, not trying to hijack the thread but my question is similar to OP's question.

So before May 15th, if you receive multiple acceptances, you are allowed to accept all of them if you are still waiting for your "top choice school" correct? Can you still wait for your "top choice school" while holding onto the acceptances after the May 15th deadline? Or is that deadline just for acceptance deposit refund purposes?

Or is it that you must choose one school from your acceptances to matriculate into by May 15th and if you don't then all you're acceptences will be dropped...

Hey everyone, not trying to hijack the thread but my question is similar to OP's question.

So before May 15th, if you receive multiple acceptances, you are allowed to accept all of them if you are still waiting for your "top choice school" correct? Can you still wait for your "top choice school" while holding onto the acceptances after the May 15th deadline? Or is that deadline just for acceptance deposit refund purposes?

Or is it that you must choose one school from your acceptances to matriculate into by May 15th and if you don't then all you're acceptences will be dropped...

you need to drop all acceptances except 1 by may 15. You can stay on any waitlists you want.