I've got a random year, what should I do??

Started by klinzou
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

klinzou

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I just finished my sophomore year as an electrical engineer, and I'm working as one for a year, which has also helped me decide between engineering and medicine. Medicine is what I want to do, and so I'm wondering, with another 13 months left of this job, what should I be doing??

Should I volunteer somewhere, read books, study for the mcat, what???

I have all this free time and I need somethign to fill it up with. Help! 🙂
 
Originally posted by klinzou
So I just finished my sophomore year as an electrical engineer, and I'm working as one for a year, which has also helped me decide between engineering and medicine. Medicine is what I want to do, and so I'm wondering, with another 13 months left of this job, what should I be doing??

Should I volunteer somewhere, read books, study for the mcat, what???

I have all this free time and I need somethign to fill it up with. Help! 🙂

Your question is confusing to me.

Where are you at in the application process? You ask "Should I study for the MCAT?" If you still haven't taken it or finished your pre-reqs, you've got a lot of work to do (it's not exactly a "random year" as you put it)
 
Try doing some productive things that will allow you to truly understand if you want to be a doctor. I.e. Hospital work, take a look at what the MCAT covers, etc. It is not about a sudden jolt of enlightenment, rather it is an evolving process.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It wasn't just a "sudden jolt". I've wanted to be a doctor since I was in 6th grade. As far as the app process, I haven't done anything yet, since I was still deciding between the two things that I really want to do.
 
if you haven't taken your prereqs - then take them. If you have already taken them (or if you aren't in school for the year) then VOLUNTEER, VOLUNTEER, VOLUNTEER. I recommend doing it at an underfunded clinic because you will have a much better chance of doing something interesting here - cause they are probably understaffed. Good luck!
 
Originally posted by TexasGuy41
if you haven't taken your prereqs - then take them. If you have already taken them (or if you aren't in school for the year) then VOLUNTEER, VOLUNTEER, VOLUNTEER. I recommend doing it at an underfunded clinic because you will have a much better chance of doing something interesting here - cause they are probably understaffed. Good luck!

I agree with this 100%. I volunteer at a local community health clinic and get to do much more interesting things there than I do in the ER.