What should I do? Did not get a single extracurricular opportunity…

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

palosantoenjoyer

Full Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello!

I am almost ending my freshman year and so far, I have no extracurriculars.

For context, I currently go to a T3 LAC and I ended up picking this school because I heard research and jobs offerings had much less competition compared to a big state school, say UNC.

This year, I applied for research in chemistry department only to get denied(a few freshmen I knew got it so its possible for freshmen to get research) and I also just applied for a TA position only to get denied(despite showing major improvement through the entire semester and ending the final exam with almost a perfect score).

I’m seeing all of my freshmen friends get into these positions, getting summer research, getting research positions at the school, and much more. While I’m here relying on school activities due to financial issues/transportation issues just to be denied from all of them.

Not only will I end freshman year with no extracurriculars, but I will also likely finish sophomore year with no premed oriented extracurriculars.

Is there anything you guys recommend me doing during sophomore year? I am pretty sure I will spend my summer doing shadowing and volunteering but even then, I will still appear inferior to my peers in terms of accomplishments.

I am genuinely interested in the things I apply for and I reiterate that to the people handling the applications but I still don’t get anything.

Please help, I don’t know what to do.
 
Hello!

I am almost ending my freshman year and so far, I have no extracurriculars.

For context, I currently go to a T3 LAC and I ended up picking this school because I heard research and jobs offerings had much less competition compared to a big state school, say UNC.

This year, I applied for research in chemistry department only to get denied(a few freshmen I knew got it so its possible for freshmen to get research) and I also just applied for a TA position only to get denied(despite showing major improvement through the entire semester and ending the final exam with almost a perfect score).

I’m seeing all of my freshmen friends get into these positions, getting summer research, getting research positions at the school, and much more. While I’m here relying on school activities due to financial issues/transportation issues just to be denied from all of them.

Not only will I end freshman year with no extracurriculars, but I will also likely finish sophomore year with no premed oriented extracurriculars.

Is there anything you guys recommend me doing during sophomore year? I am pretty sure I will spend my summer doing shadowing and volunteering but even then, I will still appear inferior to my peers in terms of accomplishments.

I am genuinely interested in the things I apply for and I reiterate that to the people handling the applications but I still don’t get anything.

Please help, I don’t know what to do.
Comparison is the thief of joy.

Get clinical exposure, shadowing and service to others less fortunate than yourself.
 
Last edited:
Hello!

I am almost ending my freshman year and so far, I have no extracurriculars.

For context, I currently go to a T3 LAC and I ended up picking this school because I heard research and jobs offerings had much less competition compared to a big state school, say UNC.

This year, I applied for research in chemistry department only to get denied(a few freshmen I knew got it so its possible for freshmen to get research) and I also just applied for a TA position only to get denied(despite showing major improvement through the entire semester and ending the final exam with almost a perfect score).

I’m seeing all of my freshmen friends get into these positions, getting summer research, getting research positions at the school, and much more. While I’m here relying on school activities due to financial issues/transportation issues just to be denied from all of them.

Not only will I end freshman year with no extracurriculars, but I will also likely finish sophomore year with no premed oriented extracurriculars.

Is there anything you guys recommend me doing during sophomore year? I am pretty sure I will spend my summer doing shadowing and volunteering but even then, I will still appear inferior to my peers in terms of accomplishments.

I am genuinely interested in the things I apply for and I reiterate that to the people handling the applications but I still don’t get anything.

Please help, I don’t know what to do.
Summer breaks are a great time to build some experiences.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Comparison is the theif of joy.

Get clinical exposure, shadowing and service to others less fortunate than yourself.
But how would I get into medical school if the entire application is just comparing yourself to others. How would I even compete against someone who already has an entire year of research over me + teaching job?
 
Summer breaks are a great time to build some experiences.
Yea, the most I can do this summer is shadowing and volunteering. I tried to get a EMT certification but the courses filled up. I really need a clinical job because finances are also a big problem for me.
 
You aren't competing against one other person, you are trying to be one of the best -- overall in the scheme of things you need to be in the top 43% of all applicants.

A clinical job this summer would be good but a job in retail or customer facing hospitality (food & beverage service etc) would also be helpful in building your skills in communications with the public. So, consider that if you can't find something clinical.

Research is nice but most applicants land that the summer after 2nd year or in the 3rd year so give it time.
 
Yea, the most I can do this summer is shadowing and volunteering. I tried to get a EMT certification but the courses filled up. I really need a clinical job because finances are also a big problem for me.
Then those are 2 things you will have at the end of this summer that you don’t have now. Some people don’t remember to do those until senior year which is too late.
 
Then those are 2 things you will have at the end of this summer that you don’t have now. Some people don’t remember to do those until senior year which is too late.
Ok, what other stuff should I be looking at? I still feel like only shadowing and volunteering is not enough
 
You aren't competing against one other person, you are trying to be one of the best -- overall in the scheme of things you need to be in the top 43% of all applicants.

A clinical job this summer would be good but a job in retail or customer facing hospitality (food & beverage service etc) would also be helpful in building your skills in communications with the public. So, consider that if you can't find something clinical.

Research is nice but most applicants land that the summer after 2nd year or in the 3rd year so give it time.
Any idea of how I can get a clinical job without any certifications or connections? I am genuinely struggling on getting accepted into opportunities. My friends get school opportunities and they also have family connections that gets into summer extracurriculars.

All I have right now is content creation and that is not medicine related and only helps me out with a few skills and a good income. I don't know how I can get summer research with no prior research experience or connections. As well as shadowing in other specialties. I am super lucky to have a childhood friend who's dad is a doctor and is willing to let me shadow in his hospital this summer.
 
But how would I get into medical school if the entire application is just comparing yourself to others. How would I even compete against someone who already has an entire year of research over me + teaching job?
That one thing is not going to make that person a better person. Suppose for example you score better on the MCAT and have a higher GPA,? All you're doing is obsessing over a single data point in somebody's application, which hasn't gone anywhere near completion.

If you want to stay healthy in this process, you do you and forget about what everybody else is doing.
 
Since you are wise to not name-drop the school, this is what I can surmise from the OP.

I ended up picking this school because I heard research and jobs offerings had much less competition compared to a big state school, say UNC.

So you chose where you attended college because of opportunities and a small campus to meet your professors.

This year, I applied for research in chemistry department only to get denied(a few freshmen I knew got it so its possible for freshmen to get research) and I also just applied for a TA position only to get denied (despite showing major improvement through the entire semester and ending the final exam with almost a perfect score).
The OP is facing a stark reality that they aren't up to par with the "lesser" competition around them. Maybe the OP was denied because (as they buried the lead) the OP didn't start out well in school.

I’m here relying on school activities due to financial issues/transportation issues just to be denied from all of them.
I commiserate with anyone who have a smaller number of choices. Again the OP chose the school, likely due to financial issues. Without more details about the circumstances, most people hire RELIABLE people who can show up on time and work. Now, I don't know how you can be denied from ALL school activities because of financial or transportation issues; OP doesn't comment.

Is there anything you guys recommend me doing during sophomore year? I am pretty sure I will spend my summer doing shadowing and volunteering but even then, I will still appear inferior to my peers in terms of accomplishments.
We have already advised to "stop comparing." OP, you run your own marathon here. Don't let comparisons sidetrack you from your goals.

The OP has not told us they have reached their primary goal of having a strong academic record. Freshman year is challenging when students have to adjust to new styles of learning and not being at the top of the heap. "Despite showing major improvement" still suggests that the OP isn't at a 4.0 GPA anymore.

It also seems that the OP has done no networking with the chemistry faculty that conveys a positive impression about "grit" or "resilience." I also get no sense the OP has met with their prehealth advisors or office to plan what those summer activities are. The OP could have sought summer research opportunities at UNC or other NC universities. Maybe they aren't as competitive because of a lack of grades and faculty support letters.

I'm getting the impression the OP felt that attending this small college means that opportunities fall to their lap and everything is handed on a silver plate. I don't know if the OP wants a "real plan" for sophomore year while realizing they're "behind." Maybe they're already behind from day 1 of freshman year, and the OP didn't comprehend that. I'm guessing if the OP is a first-gen low income student, they haven't navigated "college" to know how to socialize with peers and faculty to secure those desired research or TA positions. Again, no institutional name, no specific advice I can give you. For example:

Ok, what other stuff should I be looking at? I still feel like only shadowing and volunteering is not enough
OP: does your college have any connection to community service organizations that are not involved with healthcare? Get some hours in on food distribution, shelter volunteer, job/tax preparation, legal support, transportation services (though you say you are limited), or housing rehabilitation. In three or more years, you should surpass the 150 hour threshold for a viable applicant to all schools. The closer you get at least 250-300 minimum by submission the better.

But trees don't pop up like being transported via a Starfleet/Star Trek vessel. Trees grow organically over time, and it sounds like you haven't put any time in yet. Be patient and over time, you'll have enough volunteering. (Shadowing too, though I don't know if you are network or resource limited. See below.)

Any idea of how I can get a clinical job without any certifications or connections? I am genuinely struggling on getting accepted into opportunities. My friends get school opportunities and they also have family connections that gets into summer extracurriculars.

You should read

All I have right now is content creation and that is not medicine related and only helps me out with a few skills and a good income. I don't know how I can get summer research with no prior research experience or connections. As well as shadowing in other specialties. I am super lucky to have a childhood friend who's dad is a doctor and is willing to let me shadow in his hospital this summer.
OP: You should also ask your friend's dad as you are shadowing about your question about getting a clinical job.

I think you are learning that as an adult, connections and networking matter. Content creation is great, but research professors don't care about this. They want to see you have the grades and the technical capabilities to be teachable and produce reliable, reproducible results. As a newbie, you cost more to the lab/grant that it is essentially an operational loss. With today's grant funding climate, you need to shape up and work on being a better candidate. You'll have to do this for medical school, and so far I don't think you have either sought out the accountability partners or you haven't listened to them.
 
How? All of these applications are controlled by the profs of the chem department.
If it is a research spot they have or a volunteering spot, you can apply again in the future and have them put a good word in for you.

There is also the bio department if you have not explored that. They may not formally advertise if you did not see anything this past semester.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Since you are wise to not name-drop the school, this is what I can surmise from the OP.



So you chose where you attended college because of opportunities and a small campus to meet your professors.


The OP is facing a stark reality that they aren't up to par with the "lesser" competition around them. Maybe the OP was denied because (as they buried the lead) the OP didn't start out well in school.


I commiserate with anyone who have a smaller number of choices. Again the OP chose the school, likely due to financial issues. Without more details about the circumstances, most people hire RELIABLE people who can show up on time and work. Now, I don't know how you can be denied from ALL school activities because of financial or transportation issues; OP doesn't comment.


We have already advised to "stop comparing." OP, you run your own marathon here. Don't let comparisons sidetrack you from your goals.

The OP has not told us they have reached their primary goal of having a strong academic record. Freshman year is challenging when students have to adjust to new styles of learning and not being at the top of the heap. "Despite showing major improvement" still suggests that the OP isn't at a 4.0 GPA anymore.

It also seems that the OP has done no networking with the chemistry faculty that conveys a positive impression about "grit" or "resilience." I also get no sense the OP has met with their prehealth advisors or office to plan what those summer activities are. The OP could have sought summer research opportunities at UNC or other NC universities. Maybe they aren't as competitive because of a lack of grades and faculty support letters.

I'm getting the impression the OP felt that attending this small college means that opportunities fall to their lap and everything is handed on a silver plate. I don't know if the OP wants a "real plan" for sophomore year while realizing they're "behind." Maybe they're already behind from day 1 of freshman year, and the OP didn't comprehend that. I'm guessing if the OP is a first-gen low income student, they haven't navigated "college" to know how to socialize with peers and faculty to secure those desired research or TA positions. Again, no institutional name, no specific advice I can give you. For example:


OP: does your college have any connection to community service organizations that are not involved with healthcare? Get some hours in on food distribution, shelter volunteer, job/tax preparation, legal support, transportation services (though you say you are limited), or housing rehabilitation. In three or more years, you should surpass the 150 hour threshold for a viable applicant to all schools. The closer you get at least 250-300 minimum by submission the better.

But trees don't pop up like being transported via a Starfleet/Star Trek vessel. Trees grow organically over time, and it sounds like you haven't put any time in yet. Be patient and over time, you'll have enough volunteering. (Shadowing too, though I don't know if you are network or resource limited. See below.)



You should read


OP: You should also ask your friend's dad as you are shadowing about your question about getting a clinical job.

I think you are learning that as an adult, connections and networking matter. Content creation is great, but research professors don't care about this. They want to see you have the grades and the technical capabilities to be teachable and produce reliable, reproducible results. As a newbie, you cost more to the lab/grant that it is essentially an operational loss. With today's grant funding climate, you need to shape up and work on being a better candidate. You'll have to do this for medical school, and so far I don't think you have either sought out the accountability partners or you haven't listened to them.
"So you chose where you attended college because of opportunities and a small campus to meet your professors." - Yes

"The OP is facing a stark reality that they aren't up to par with the "lesser" competition around them. Maybe the OP was denied because (as they buried the lead) the OP didn't start out well in school." - The friends I know have similar if not worse class grades than me. I have also been attending almost every help session for chemistry to demonstrate my interest as well. Not getting research is more understandable since I do not have any research experience.

"I commiserate with anyone who have a smaller number of choices. Again the OP chose the school, likely due to financial issues. Without more details about the circumstances, most people hire RELIABLE people who can show up on time and work. Now, I don't know how you can be denied from ALL school activities because of financial or transportation issues; OP doesn't comment." - From all school activities, I meant the job positions I applied for which is research and TA. Not actual school activities or clubs etc.

"The OP has not told us they have reached their primary goal of having a strong academic record. Freshman year is challenging when students have to adjust to new styles of learning and not being at the top of the heap. "Despite showing major improvement" still suggests that the OP isn't at a 4.0 GPA anymore." - Our first semester was all pass fail. I am projected to get a 3.66 this semester if I finish strong. I don't think I will be able to pull off an A for organic chem or anything above a B for engineering.

"It also seems that the OP has done no networking with the chemistry faculty that conveys a positive impression about "grit" or "resilience." I also get no sense the OP has met with their prehealth advisors or office to plan what those summer activities are. The OP could have sought summer research opportunities at UNC or other NC universities. Maybe they aren't as competitive because of a lack of grades and faculty support letters." - Since last semester, ever since I struggled on my first gen chem midterm. I went to office hours every week with my professor, talked to him about his research and showed interest. I understand he isn't looking for freshman since he only hired upperclassmen. Before going to office hours, I would also attend weekly help sessions held by another gen chem professor. And now, I go to weekly office hours with a lab instructor. I also met with my pre-health advisor and she told me to get a job and volunteer, which I am concerned about because those aren't very standoutish extracurriculars.

"OP: does your college have any connection to community service organizations that are not involved with healthcare? Get some hours in on food distribution, shelter volunteer, job/tax preparation, legal support, transportation services (though you say you are limited), or housing rehabilitation. In three or more years, you should surpass the 150 hour threshold for a viable applicant to all schools. The closer you get at least 250-300 minimum by submission the better." - not sure about this, from what I have heard, most people don't volunteer during the school year. I will ask my pre-health advisor for resources the next time we meet.


"I think you are learning that as an adult, connections and networking matter. Content creation is great, but research professors don't care about this. They want to see you have the grades and the technical capabilities to be teachable and produce reliable, reproducible results. As a newbie, you cost more to the lab/grant that it is essentially an operational loss. With today's grant funding climate, you need to shape up and work on being a better candidate. You'll have to do this for medical school, and so far I don't think you have either sought out the accountability partners or you haven't listened to them." - The only thing I can do is content creation because it is the only thing I have. I took initiative in going after the STEM jobs/extracurriculars that I am interested in but I have not gotten any results from those. For now, all I can do is what I have and continue to make money and save up.
 
"So you chose where you attended college because of opportunities and a small campus to meet your professors." - Yes

"The OP is facing a stark reality that they aren't up to par with the "lesser" competition around them. Maybe the OP was denied because (as they buried the lead) the OP didn't start out well in school." - The friends I know have similar if not worse class grades than me. I have also been attending almost every help session for chemistry to demonstrate my interest as well. Not getting research is more understandable since I do not have any research experience.

"I commiserate with anyone who have a smaller number of choices. Again the OP chose the school, likely due to financial issues. Without more details about the circumstances, most people hire RELIABLE people who can show up on time and work. Now, I don't know how you can be denied from ALL school activities because of financial or transportation issues; OP doesn't comment." - From all school activities, I meant the job positions I applied for which is research and TA. Not actual school activities or clubs etc.
I'm just making sure. At some universities, you have to apply to join a club. Don't ask me why that happens.

Did you talk with anyone in your department about these positions? Did you set up any times to talk with your career advisors about what you need to be a stronger applicant for these or other positions? I agree with another expert that there are other science departments where you may be a better fit (especially if you are taking engineering courses).

That said, are these friends with worse grades than you getting those positions (that's what you have implied)?

I'm just pointing out you chose the school for resources it has dangled in front of you (and your family) to guide you forward in your desired career. We are not at your uni to know, but navigating a new environment is a common sink-or-swim challenge for freshmen.

"The OP has not told us they have reached their primary goal of having a strong academic record. Freshman year is challenging when students have to adjust to new styles of learning and not being at the top of the heap. "Despite showing major improvement" still suggests that the OP isn't at a 4.0 GPA anymore." - Our first semester was all pass fail. I am projected to get a 3.66 this semester if I finish strong. I don't think I will be able to pull off an A for organic chem or anything above a B for engineering.
Give me a realistic assessment: you're implying you can't do better than B's (3.0) across all your classes? I don't know your school or how you got placed into organic chemistry freshman year. Engineering is a much larger time sink if you want to do well; B's in engineering are good grades, but you must push hard to get A's. Why are you taking engineering and chemistry classes at the same time?

"It also seems that the OP has done no networking with the chemistry faculty that conveys a positive impression about "grit" or "resilience." I also get no sense the OP has met with their prehealth advisors or office to plan what those summer activities are. The OP could have sought summer research opportunities at UNC or other NC universities. Maybe they aren't as competitive because of a lack of grades and faculty support letters." - Since last semester, ever since I struggled on my first gen chem midterm. I went to office hours every week with my professor, talked to him about his research and showed interest. I understand he isn't looking for freshman since he only hired upperclassmen. Before going to office hours, I would also attend weekly help sessions held by another gen chem professor. And now, I go to weekly office hours with a lab instructor.

I know a good number of chemistry professors, and the chem department tends to be VERY sociable. I cite a strong influence from the American Chemical Society to encourage students to understand the impact chemistry has on our world. The chemistry department hosts students and supports the chemistry majors' clubs and social activities to acclimate underclassmen to research positions. Maybe you're just telling me all you are doing transactionally to address your courses rather than to fit in with the other chem majors (and I don't know if you are one).

I also met with my pre-health advisor and she told me to get a job and volunteer, which I am concerned about because those aren't very standoutish extracurriculars.

In the original "Karate Kid", Mr. Miyagi teaches Daniel through extremely mundane tasks.

You can't be excellent if you cannot do the basics right. You stand out by being consistently excellent in whatever you do, no matter how crappy the job may be. That's what medicine will demand from you.

"OP: does your college have any connection to community service organizations that are not involved with healthcare? Get some hours in on food distribution, shelter volunteer, job/tax preparation, legal support, transportation services (though you say you are limited), or housing rehabilitation. In three or more years, you should surpass the 150 hour threshold for a viable applicant to all schools. The closer you get at least 250-300 minimum by submission the better." - not sure about this, from what I have heard, most people don't volunteer during the school year. I will ask my pre-health advisor for resources the next time we meet.

You're telling me a top-3 liberal arts college has no student services office? Every small college and university I know has some community outreach and service office. There may even be a student org on your campus like Alpha Phi Omega service fraternity. Here's College of Wooster's Volunteer Network. Mt. Holyoke's Circle K/CEA club. Why was this resource not apparent to you before you sent in your commitment to the college a year ago? Every SLAC I know thrives on how they connect students with local community needs.

"I think you are learning that as an adult, connections and networking matter. Content creation is great, but research professors don't care about this. They want to see you have the grades and the technical capabilities to be teachable and produce reliable, reproducible results. As a newbie, you cost more to the lab/grant that it is essentially an operational loss. With today's grant funding climate, you need to shape up and work on being a better candidate. You'll have to do this for medical school, and so far I don't think you have either sought out the accountability partners or you haven't listened to them." - The only thing I can do is content creation because it is the only thing I have. I took initiative in going after the STEM jobs/extracurriculars that I am interested in but I have not gotten any results from those. For now, all I can do is what I have and continue to make money and save up.

I agree, there's not much more I can suggest. Do you best, but you are just finishing first year of college. I don't know what to say other than use the resources available to you more than what has been described here.
 
I also met with my pre-health advisor and she told me to get a job and volunteer, which I am concerned about because those aren't very standoutish extracurriculars.

Are you serious? Even heavy-hitting research schools expect one to have non-clinical volunteering in their application.

As I said above, it's not just about research. And there are people who get into medical school without research. The reason why people do research is because people do research, so it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Worked as an excellent CV filler because number one, it's a job and you get paid, and number two, you learn responsibility above everything else
 
I also met with my pre-health advisor and she told me to get a job and volunteer, which I am concerned about because those aren't very standoutish extracurriculars.
Your perception needs some adjustment here. Medicine is fundamentally a service profession, and volunteering is how you demonstrate your service orientation. I will use a metaphor and ask you to think of your future AMCAS application as a newly built house. Volunteering is the foundation. A huge slab of concrete may not be particularly sexy, but without it the rest of the structure is unstable.

In fact, I have witnessed the following pattern many, many times in reapplicants: strong metrics, strong research, strong clinical, weak service.

So you actually have a huge opportunity here to start quality volunteering (homeless shelter, soup kitchen, etc.) early in college and then build it into a longitudinal experience. This will get you a lot of mileage in the application process. Undergrad research and TA experiences are both fine, and both are extremely common, so they don't really stand out.

You should get a job because you need money. Applying to medical school is expensive, even if you ultimately qualify for the FAP. Entry level jobs, particularly in the service industry, are looked at favorably by adcoms. The skills you learn with customers are the same ones you will deploy with patients.
 
I like the focus on service in the first year given that doesn't require skills beyond what you've already acquired. To do well in research, you need some skills you'll acquire in your first 2 years of college which is why most students begin research activities in the summer after sophomore year and beyond. Clinical activities are best added during sophomore year, IMO, at a point where you have the maturity and gravitas to face the struggles and frustrations you may be up against in those environments. Paying jobs are good and show that someone values your services enough to pay for them.