I've made a huge mistake!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medstudent87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My school encourages writing letters of intent to our top programs and even gives us examples of things to write, including various phrases about ranking (very highly, among my top choices, number 1, etc.)

So, I sent my top choice an email saying I'm ranking them #1. Thing is, I then sent choices 2-5 an email stating that I am ranking them "very high".

I'm beginning to wonder if I may have actually hurt myself by writing to 2-5...as they now know that I'm not ranking them #1.

Too late now, but...Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

My school encourages writing letters of intent to our top programs and even gives us examples of things to write, including various phrases about ranking (very highly, among my top choices, number 1, etc.)

So, I sent my top choice an email saying I'm ranking them #1. Thing is, I then sent choices 2-5 an email stating that I am ranking them "very high".

I'm beginning to wonder if I may have actually hurt myself by writing to 2-5...as they now know that I'm not ranking them #1.

Stop freaking out. Of course they know. But, if you wrote them no letter, they would also know that you're not ranking them #1. And, if you told everyone you ranked them #1, one of those programs might rank you to match and then you're hosed for fellowships/jobs at that program down the road.

Not all programs will fill with people who ranked them #1. Life goes on.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm most interested in the fact that this is an Arrested Development reference (I think)

I wouldn't sweat it too much.

I thought this thread was going to be about your decision to become a doctor.