Ivy Hate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gsman

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok so ive been reading sdn posts for some time now and i noticed a theme.

there is this overall agreement that

1) ivy leauge schools are overpriced
2) u should go to the cheapest school possible
3) prestige doesnt matter at all
4) no one cares about where you graduated from
5) ivys dont prepare you to be a good clinician
6) ivy schools arnt better than non-ivy schools

funny thing is there are still soooo many applicants to the 3 ivy schools.
personally, i think ivy schools are IVY for a reason. It is because their grad programs are top notch in the world.

so i cant help but wonder if this overall feeling towards ivys are instilled by the vast majority of people who DIDNT get into Ivys.

discuss.

Members don't see this ad.

so i cant help but wonder if this overall feeling towards ivys are instilled by the vast majority of people who DIDNT get into Ivys.

I got into Harvard and Penn. I just didn't feel like they were right for me. Others have turned down "Ivy" schools, also.

personally, i think ivy schools are IVY for a reason. It is because their grad programs are top notch in the world.

discuss.

I think this topic has been beaten to death. No need for discussion here. You already have all the reasons listed out as to why not every person is dying to go to an ivy school so live with it and learn to accept it.

Members don't see this ad :)

discuss.

1) i've been active here for awhile & i've never picked up on the theme "ivys are overpriced." they are private, thus expensive...but no more so than other private schools.
2) you SHOULD go to the cheapest school possible (unless your parents are paying :))
3) prestige matters a lot in business & law, very little in medicine, and even less in dentistry.
4) they don't. personality & trust (and sometimes price) is all they care about.
5) most ivys produce average clinicians. even the grads will tell you this. lots of ivey grads continue to specialize or do a GPR to enhance their clinical skills.
6) ivy schools, in general, are no better or worse than a state or some other private school. each school has something to offer (hence, no d-school rankings). the only special thing they offer is an ego boost, and maybe an increased chance of landing a specialty residency.

there are so many applicants to ivy league schools b/c they are PRIVATE; therefore, they show equal pref. to all candidates regardless of what state they come from. spending an additional couple hundred bucks to have your app. sent to the ivy league schools is really just a formality w/ the process. people want to see if they got what it takes to get in. pure n simple. there is some guy on here that applied to 15+ schools and the only school he got into was harvard. go figure.

i have no hatred towards the ivy schools whatsoever. i was rejected by columbia & penn. i would have been honored to attend either school, but in the end i don't think they give a significant edge than a cheaper, state school.

jb!:)

oh i know lots of eligible people who got into IVYs turned them down.

but the reasons for turning them down should be like u said "wasnt right for me"

that i think is a valid reason and i respect that.

but to reject or not apply because of certain stereotypes presented on SDN is what i dont like.

I turned down Columbia because I felt that I wouldn't get a great clinical experience there. This was after I went on the interview day tour. I had no idea what to expect from any school before I went to each interview. Plus I thought the clinics weren't as 'up to date' as some other schools. Otherwise it seemed to be a pretty solid dental school.

I got an interview invite at Penn after I was accepted into schools (about mid-Dec I got it). I turned it down because I already decided to go to Stony Brook.

As for Harvard, I just have no interest whatsoever in research and I know they are really big on that.

Ivy league schools, like any other dental school in the country has their advantages and disadvantages. Yes, we probably won't be as clinically prepared as people coming out of some other dental schools, but Ivy schools arent without its strengths (excellent specialty placement for example as well as strong sciences). Personally, I hate to categorize dental schools into Ivy's and non-Ivy's. Ivy League is actually a designation for the undergraduate athletic conference, and applies more towards undergrads than professional programs such as dentistry.

Ivy schools are what they are--ivy. Personally, I feel that there are plenty of schools out there with name recognition (ie. UCSF, UCLA, Michigan, UNC, Pitt, UW. . .) for those who want an ego boost. Each school has its own pros and cons. Pick the one the school you feel most comfortable with--remember, it's still four intense years.

Ivy league schools, like any other dental school in the country has their advantages and disadvantages. Yes, we probably won't be as clinically prepared as people coming out of some other dental schools, but Ivy schools arent without its strengths (excellent specialty placement for example as well as strong sciences). Personally, I hate to categorize dental schools into Ivy's and non-Ivy's. Ivy League is actually a designation for the undergraduate athletic conference, and applies more towards undergrads than professional programs such as dentistry.

Werd, though I digress on the last part. It applies to undergrad programs, renowned worldwide, and some graduate programs. Dentistry, however, would be way downfield when compared to the worldwide reputation of HBS, Wharton, and the various excellent law programs across the Ivy's. Ivy dental grads should be proud of their dental degree, but to say it's world renowned is erroneous.