Ivy research internship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

laxgirl06

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I have a slight predicament. This semester, I registered to do research as a class, for about 4 credits. I unfortunately and fortunately found a listing for an Ivy undergrad research internship and applied. I just interviewed and was told I could start next week. The internship is 8 hours a week and I wouldnt be able to do both. Last semester was the first semester im the lab. Should I tell my prof i cant do research w her this semester? Or just choose the Ivy? Please help me

Members don't see this ad.

You should have notified her months ago, lol. Yes, contact her ASAP.

You should have notified her months ago, lol. Yes, contact her ASAP.
No, I don't think you understood what I said. I signed up for the research class. Then I found this listing like 2 weeks ago. Then I applied. Today they just accepted me. So I didn't know until now. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
No, I don't think you understood what I said. I signed up for the research class. Then I found this listing like 2 weeks ago. Then I applied. Today they just accepted me. So I didn't know until now.
'Kay. Should still tell her as soon as possible.

Do whatever you want but simply doing an internship at an ivy isn't going to enhance your resume prestige if that's at all what you're hoping for

Reactions: 1 users
I agree with the user above who mentioned that doing a research internship specifically at an ivy league institution isn't going to significantly enhance your CV or medical school application. Personally, I think the most important factor should be the atmosphere of the lab in general and the nature of the PI. Is he or she someone who is enjoys teaching and mentoring students? Will you be allowed to design your own experiments and have a say in how the research is carried out, or will you be told to follow instructions? These are some of the factors you might want to consider when deciding which opportunity to pursue. You also mentioned that you started in the lab at your undergrad last semester - continuing in the same lab might allow you to expand on and delve more deeply into previous projects and, possibly, get a stronger letter of recommendation since you'll have been there for a longer time, so that might be something to consider as well.

Thank you everyone for your advice. I do agree that it won't significantly enhance my application, but I plan to network and push myself out my comfort zone. I have personal goals that I am working on, and this internship would help me to work on those. Also, the PI has been mentoring students since he began there. I would be working alongside him. I think my best option is to work in both labs, so I can have more continuity. Thanks again. :)